Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-06-2014, 9:20 PM Reply   
Not your standard bike pjorn post, but....

I worked at a bike shop from 1990-94. During that time I eventually had access to pro sheet deals from the industry reps. Summer of '93 I bought myself a stumpjumper M2 FS (long gone, and man was that bike sweet... 23lbs with a Mag21), and my girlfriend a rockhopper sport. I married that girl. She never rode the bike but I'm loathe to toss it, so we moved it to grad school and back afterwards when we began our careers. All the while it's gathered a beautiful patina of dust. Seriously, I doubt my wife has ridden the bike 100 miles in 21 years.

So my daughter departs for college next week and rather than buy her a bike, why not let her "not ride" her mom's bike which is already accustomed to not being ridden, right?

So I've tuned it up, put on a new chain and new tires, and frankly it rides as nice as it did when I first built it up out of the box in 1993. I'm the only person who has ever wrenched on it and I'm really surprised at how well it has held up. I skimped on repacking the bearings when I pulled the bike out of the box in '93, but I've taken care of that with a fresh packing of phil wood.

Note the period correct (i.e. original) purple anno bottle cage and the scott vr suspension fork (also a pro sheet deal... and one of the very few aftermarket options back then) with threaded 1" steer tube to boot.

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-06-2014, 11:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Not your standard bike pjorn post, but....

I worked at a bike shop from 1990-94. During that time I eventually had access to pro sheet deals from the industry reps. Summer of '93 I bought myself a stumpjumper M2 FS (long gone, and man was that bike sweet... 23lbs with a Mag21), and my girlfriend a rockhopper sport. I married that girl. She never rode the bike but I'm loathe to toss it, so we moved it to grad school and back afterwards when we began our careers. All the while it's gathered a beautiful patina of dust. Seriously, I doubt my wife has ridden the bike 100 miles in 21 years.

So my daughter departs for college next week and rather than buy her a bike, why not let her "not ride" her mom's bike which is already accustomed to not being ridden, right?

So I've tuned it up, put on a new chain and new tires, and frankly it rides as nice as it did when I first built it up out of the box in 1993. I'm the only person who has ever wrenched on it and I'm really surprised at how well it has held up. I skimped on repacking the bearings when I pulled the bike out of the box in '93, but I've taken care of that with a fresh packing of phil wood.

Note the period correct (i.e. original) purple anno bottle cage and the scott vr suspension fork (also a pro sheet deal... and one of the very few aftermarket options back then) with threaded 1" steer tube to boot.

No can see the pic

The team I'm on gets killer deals from our sponsoring bike shop. I now understand how racers can afford high end bikes. I'm both scared and looking forward to the end of season deals this year. I want to pick up my team mate's SWorks Venge, and have zero ability to convince the wife two new bikes are needed this year.