Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-18-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
Hey all. Deciding between the 2011 Witness and Witness Grind. I've been on this shape a few years, so know what I'm getting. BUT, I'm wondering are the Grind bases any heavier than the regular bases? I ask because by the time I get a 144 board and put XL bindings on it it starts getting up there in weight.

I rarely ride sliders (the odd cable trip when I'm back in KC). So I don't really need the grind base for that. It would be more of a "nice to have" feature just in case, plus slight preference for the Grind graphic.

Also, if they are any heavier, does that lend itself towards better durability? I break at least one of these boards per season. In my mind that would be the only positive tradeoff it if's any heavier...

Thanks for your input
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-18-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
I've ridden an 09 PS3 at my local System 2.0, and that thing was an absolute tank. I could not believe how heavy it was. Riding a '10 Watson Hybrid was a lot better, that board was much lighter. The PS3 was absolutely thrashed in a couple months of solid cable riding, but thats a different kind of wear and tear than what you're looking at.
Old     (shredthegnar87)      Join Date: May 2010       02-19-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
you wont notice a difference, unless you have chicken legs. also, how much do you weigh? how do you break 1 board a season if your hardly hitting rails? im 210 and hammer boards in the park/boat and have never snapped one. and why would you keep buying the same board is it continues to break?
Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-19-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
My little bro, 150lbs and 16 breaks 1-2 boards a season. Im not even sure how he does it, (always on air tricks it seems) but the rents start getting a little pissed. His latest witness grind delaminted and broke within 2 months of owning it. LF would not take it back because it had ridden rails.... the slider "grind" base is a catch 22.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-19-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
I have both a Witness Grind and standard base. You can notice a little weight difference if you are holding the boards in your hand, but not on your feet. However you will notice a difference in how they ride. The grind is considerably slower on the water.

As far as durability, I snapped a grind last year at the cable park. Had been ridden maybe 20 times.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Sounds like the standard base then. I do have an 08 Witness that I could use as a second board for cable. Does anyone know if you can still get the LF binding adapters? I would need them to put 2011 bindings (6" plate) on an 08 board (7" plate) and keep my stance all the way out.

Brian, I wondered also about the Grind base being slower on the water, just forgot to ask.

Jake, I'm 6'3" 218. I've always broken boards regardless of brand. I'm trying to change my riding style to more wake-wake after recent ACL repair, so hopefully the frequency of broken boards will decrease. I stay with the witness cause it's the best shape I've been on to date. Fast enough yet still good vertical pop. Admittedly I haven't tried a whole lot of other boards because 144 is about the shortest board I can comfortably ride due to my height. There's not a whole lot of choice out there larger than 142. If I had my way LF would make the witness in a 147 or 148, that would be sweet. I was on the 07 Shane 140 one season and felt like I was riding a lunch tray..... My riding progressed a ton when I switched to the longer witness.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-20-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
It's way heavier. I don't have chicken legs and I definitely notice it. I won't ride a board without some type of slider base, though. I think the grind bases feel much slicker riding behind the boat (but I don't really ride boat that often so it doesn't make much of a difference for me). As it was already mentioned LF won't warranty the grind base boards if you've hit a slider with them. The only thing that getting the grind base gets you is maybe a little extra life out of the board if you hit sliders. I don't think it makes the board itself any 'stronger' since I've still broken a few doing air tricks at the cable.