Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-01-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
I'm having these made from aluminum and they will be chrome once complete. My question is what is a long term strong adhesive that will not let my EXPENSIVE idea fall off? I have 3M super strenght molding tape in mind and have tested but I think there is better and thought i would ask the WWorld. When complete it will read 23 XLV
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-01-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
picsUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-07-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Looks great man...

Usually anything by 3M should be good stuff. I test them in the water... shallow water.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-07-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
thru-hull pop rivets. or tie a safety lanyard to them so that if they fall off, you can retrieve them.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Find out what the use for car emblems. When I took all the emblems off my truck it was a b!tch.

I put a Correct Craft emblem on the tailgate 2-3 years ago using plain old 3M double sided tape and its still there. Although the placement of your emblems my get a little more contact then my tailgate. Im thinking moring to low docks.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-07-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Have you thought of using a chamfered edge to eliminate the chance of them getting ripped off by something. It looks like they stand out from the hull a bit.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
I would actually have them weld a couple of threaded studs on there so you can bolt them on and use some scilicone on the back side to seal it up
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-07-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
agree with robert , thru hull rivets will be your best bet , i just picture them getting pulled off if you hit the trailer guides
Old    mendo247            03-07-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
3M tape would probablly be the best as far as not damaging your gel coat.. however im not sure it has been tested the way your going to be using it.. those things are gonna be hitting some serious drag just from the water when turning, surfing, trailer guides etc etc.. definetly look cool though..
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-07-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
3M 5200 Sealant is rated at 900 PSI and is completly waterproof. You have to let it cure for 7 days. It's like a white caulk. I'm not sure that it wouldn't show around the edges.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-12-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
Use 3M VHB. You can get it in all different thickness's. Pull up the spec sheet on 3M's website to get the right formula for gelcoat.

This stuff is damn near permanent.