Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Well, its getting to that time of year when the water and air temp drop and it gets COLD!!!

I want to get a fullbody wetsuit so i can ride untill the lakes freeze.

What thickness should i get? I want to be warm as possible but dont want it to be so bulky that i cant ride. What should i go for 3/2? 4/3? 5/4?

What do you all ride? and what temps?
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-20-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
Personally I much prefer the warmth and comfort of a drysuit when it gets cold.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
They cost to much for me......
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-20-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
3mm body, 2mm in the arms and legs is fairly typical. I would spend the extra 10 - 20 bucks as opposed to a full 2mm wetsuit.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-20-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
Unless you get a smoking deal, a good wetsuit will cost you just as much as a drysuit if not more.

How cold will the water/air temp get?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-20-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
I rode a 4/3 O'Neill Psycho this year up in Michigan, and with 49 degree water and 39 degree air at 7 in the morning, the only thing that was cold on my body were my hands and toes. I would have even been able to ride for much longer if I had some closed toe bindings and gloves. It is, though, almost too warm to wear that thing when the temps get a bit higher.

Keep checking http://www.whiskeymilitia.com/ a couple times a day for fullsuits. I have seen about 3 smokin deals on suits on that site in the past couple weeks that made me feel like I got ripped off...

and I wouldn't say it restricted my riding at all.

(Message edited by wakeslife on August 20, 2007)
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       08-20-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
I have a 2.0 shorty and HATE it! I am shivering the whole time! My wife rides a 4.0 shorty with long sleeves and says she is pretty comfy.

There's a sweet dive outlet down in Key Largo, can't remember the name, but if you're going south on Highway 1 it is on the right side and has a big great white shark coming out of the front of it. Anyways, you can get some amazing deals there on wetsuits and other dive gear, I go everytime I am in the area. I think I picked my wet suit up for about $40.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
Ok thanks roddy, we have the same temps. Or even colder!
I will go with a 4/3. the CT's will come in handy this fall :-)

Drysuit-$400
Good wetsuit-$200
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-20-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
If you are looking for a wetsuit try Hotline. made in Santa Cruz for their cold water. Great deals also. www.hotlineonline.com
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-20-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
the oniell pyscho is nice because it has the firewall on the back, which stops most of the water that seeps (sp) in through the zipper when u first get in the water
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-21-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
I didn't realize how much drysuit prices went up. I could have sworn I paid around 200 bucks for my Bare. Now they are 400!

BTW, 200 bucks will get you a middle of the road wetsuit not a good one. Phsycho II's are 400. Coincidentally, I just got mine back from the factory since the seams came apart and they gave me a brand new suit! SO they definitely back their products.

I would still pay more to wear a drysuit for wakeboarding. You're fine in a wetsuit while riding, but sitting in a wet suit while the boat is up to speed sucks!
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-21-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
If you've never worn a drysuit, you'll be surprised how cheap they are when you try one....
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-21-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Adrenaline Watersports sells a very nice dry suit for $269.

http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com/proddetl.aspx?ID=297&CatID=8&SubID=17&pg=0
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
i use a oneill epic 4/3 and that keeps me warm in water down in the low 50s when its in the 40s i wear my dry suit
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
make sure you try on a wetsuit before you buy it. you want it skin tight. my is really tight, but i stay almost dry in it.
good seams and tight fit are what matter. i can wear a 3/2 all winter in norcal.