Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (rydehype21i)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-19-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Looking into a 2004 ski supreme with 64 hours, v-drive 2 ballast tanks. What is the wake like on supreme? the wakesetter is an 02 110 hours direct drive, looks like it has been in salt water..is that a big issue with only 110 hours?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-19-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Personally, I would never buy a boat that I knew has been used in salt. Especially if it is showing signs of being in salt with only 110 hours. Probably wasn't taken care of. You have to be crazy anal about cleaning the boat if you want it to last very long in the salt. Never been in one but if the supreme you are looking at is the v220 I have heard that throws a nice wake. Having a Vdrive is really nice to.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-19-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
I love Wakesetters but I personally wouldn't buy anything that has been in saltwater
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-19-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Depends if it has a raw water or a closed cooling system. Running salt water through your engine isn't good. If it has closed cooling it shouldn't be a problem as long as it has been flushed fairly often after use. I imagine it doesn't though.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-20-2007, 5:53 AM Reply   
Depends on the owner and the amount of time in the salt. There are lots of preventative steps to take beforehand if your going to bother with salt, as well as some steps afterward. If it "looks" like its been in salt, then maybe it wasnt taken care of and your taking a risk. I have put mine in salt for probably 10 hrs total - with 780hrs of fresh water run and my crazy mentality with cleaning my boat - I challenge anyone to find salt issues.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-20-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
110hrs in salt is fine. I've clocked up probably thousands of hours in saltwater over the years.

Easiest way to check for salt use is to look at the trailer. It only takes a few dips to start the corrosion proccess on a standard painted trailer. Check around the bolts, fenders and welds.

If you like the wakesetter and the price is right don't ignore it just because of the saltwater issue. You might have to replace the manifolds and risers in the future quicker than a fresh water boat but they are not overly expensive, almost everything else wont have any major problems if the boat was regually flushed.

Personally I'd prefer the ski supreme as I like the layout on V drives but I do like to slalom too so a direct drive is nice for that.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
i would probably take any v drive over a direct drive these days. with the storage and being able to hide all of the weight you cant beet a v-drive. if you have ever owned or even been in a direct drive with sacks all over the floor and having to walk over them then you know what im talkin about. but if your like jay and still slalom then you might want the direct drive.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-23-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
I have a V220... I love it...it does everything I need it to do... world class wake when I have it sacked out... no issues with reliability... it doesnt have billet this.. or bling that... but it cost me way less... and does the job!