Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-30-2005, 10:37 PM Reply   
I was wondering if there is a ghetto way to get my boat off the trailer???

What im trying to do. I want color sand and polish the bottom of the boat. The parts of the boat that sit under the bunks are scratched from 4 years of loading and un-loading as well as other place's.

Option #1 At my Shop I have a car lift. Its the kind with the independent adjustable arm's that can move in and out Im guessing that I might be able to attach some strap's to the arm's of the lift and lift the boat off the trailer. The down side is because its a working shop I have limited time that the boat can be there.

Option #2 I get the boat off the trailer some how at my house and work on it not in a rush.

Either option I need somthing to put the boat onto where can I get ahold of a set of the roller's that are under this boat.

It would be sweet to have a set up like this guy
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-30-2005, 11:31 PM Reply   
Grant,
Try three "cherry-pickers" Or hang it from the rafters in the garage. Use the Bow-Eye and the two rings in the back. They are designed to hold the weight of the boat.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-30-2005, 11:36 PM Reply   
You can use rafter if they are doubled up...
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-31-2005, 1:13 AM Reply   
Wow... I am not sure if garage rafters were meant to support the weight of a 3,000+ pound boat. Like Big Ed said, maybe if they were double up...

How about checking with the local dealer? Maybe they would let you borrow some of the stands they use for boat shows...
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-31-2005, 3:49 AM Reply   
I've got a 19ft MC off its trailer without and hoists or cranes.

Put the nose of the trailer right down so the stern of the boat is up higher then normal.
Block the rear of the boat with some wooden block, cinder blocks or what ever.
Raise the nose of the trailer back up as far as it will go.
Now let the tyres down on the trailer. This will drop the trailer 4 - 6" and lift the rear of the boat from the trailer.
Now block the front of the boat on the spine with a long piece of timber/steel which will span the trailer.
Lower the front of the trailer and roll it out.

Used this method many times on a friends boat who had no trailer and we used to pull it out at the end of each season.

(Message edited by jayc on December 31, 2005)
Old    walt            12-31-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
Grant,

Rent a couple of chain slings like the above photo and buy a couple of heavy duty straps.

If your rafters are exposed you can run two big beams across them (glue lam) horizontally to disperse the weight across the rafters .

After pulling the trailer I would lower it back down a little on a few padded saw horses just to take some of the weight off.

You have insurance right ?
Old    walt            12-31-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
Maybe you can rent a couple boat dollies from a dealer too ?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-31-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
Jay's Method is kind of what I was hoping I could do. Most of my garage overhead is built out and is used as a loft so tying into the beam's is pretty much out.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-31-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Like this?.....

http://www.hostarmarine.com/dollies/

Old    mendo247            12-31-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
ive done something similar to jay a few times..
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       12-31-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
yo grant...Don used jay's idea when he was working on the scarab..(or as you call it the Trans Am)...I can't remember what he Blocked it up with though....The lift at your shop seems super easy..just run straps to the lifting eyes
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-31-2005, 6:34 PM Reply   
I dont know why I forgot but as well as having a car lift at the shop I also have a fork lift. So I was just wondering how or where I can get strap's
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-31-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
I have gotten my boat of the trailer using a floor jack and blocks. It's quite simple, just takes a little time. Once on blocks you can move the blocks if you need to wax in that area.
Old    mendo247            12-31-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
hey grant..just give me a beer or two put some hot chicks on the dock and ill have your boat loaded sideways so itll be nice and easy to get those hard to reach spots lol
Old     (wkbdhvn)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-31-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
Use an engine Hoist at the back with a lifting strap. Build something to span the front and use the trailer jack to raise and lower the nose. Once the boat is off the trailer if you don't mind it sitting in one spot but some styrofoam blocks and set the boat on those. The styrofoam will crush a little but then it will be conformed to your boat and you can climb in and out and be underneath it no problem.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-01-2006, 1:16 AM Reply   
"I dont know why I forgot but as well as having a car lift at the shop I also have a fork lift. So I was just wondering how or where I can get strap's"

The lifting rings will pick up a Nauty if that is what you are trying to pick up no problem. The forklift will not have a hard time either, as long as it is a "regular" forklift. For straps you can use lifting straps doubled so they are shorter and stronger, or chains would be the cheapest, but might scratch the lifting rings unless they are protected. Home Depot has straps of all kinds.

There are different types of stand you can build/use. Look at what they use at boat shows. Something built out of lumber would probably be the most cost effective. It amazes me what they put yatchs up on. Please build something strong enough so we do not read the local headline "Man working under boat is crushed".

Have fun!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-04-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
I have slipped a trailer out from under a boat a couple of times using blocks of wood and a floor jack.

Use a fair size piece of wood, perhaps padded with carpeting as a buffer between the jack and your hull.

Jack the boat up, set a block under it, set the boat down on the block. Repeat until the boat is sitting on at least three blocks and is not touching the trailer.

Now slide the trailer forward until the axel/frame is running into one of the blocks. Jack the boat up again, move the block to a spot just behind whatever was interferring with it.

Repeat as necessary.

It is a pain in the ass but it isn't too difficult.