Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
I see it happening more and more... but should this be a concern?

Boat manufacturers are keeping their factory open... but laying off people in the fiberglass production part of the facility. Then hiring an outside fiberglass company (not necessarily a boat builder, but a fiberglass manufacturer) who make things like bath tubs, showers, boats, waterslides, diving boards etc...

And then just using their plant to assemble the boat.

The problems I forsee is who will warranty the hull? Since the industry standard appears to be lifetime... you would think you would want to have some quality control measures in place and some accountability.

Obviously in a slow economy this makes sense for the boat builder... they are not having to employ a bunch of people or lay off and re-hire in an area that requires some training etc.

But on the other hand, I would think employee satisfaction goes down when you dont actually get to see your project through to the end.

A couple of questions for potential boat buyers...

Does this factor in to what boat you buy? Do you care if the company builds their own hull or farms this out?

Does this have you question how the warranty will be applied if need be?

Thoughts?
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       08-22-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
You raise some very good questions. What boat manuf. are doing this?

I would rather buy from a company that is building their own hulls and yes warranty would be my first question to the manuf.

JT
Old     (wakex2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-22-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
personally i could care less who builds it b/c laying fiberglass is somewhat of a black art but when it comes down to it the boat company will be responsible if your boat breaks in half... i'm more interested in wake, mechanical dependability, wake, comfortability, wake, add-one (audio appearances etc), and wake

trust me you go buy a new boat and it break in half... you're getting a new boat

as an industrial engineer we make decisions all the time as a company to cut some things that are in house b/c we can pay someone else to do it better, quicker, and cheaper... which is the name of the game in the end... remember kids they don't make boats to make the best boats in the world... they make boats to make money
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Whos doing that? What I have seen is boat builders laying off people and closing for a month or two ie; Sea Ray
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
I know of a few... but don't want to get into that... but I have friends who work for some of these companies... and have talked a little bit about morale etc... it was nice to see a boat from start to finish... now they wait for an order... then get someone to build the hull... on of the exciting processes was when they pulled it from the mould... now they dont see that step... they just get this hull and deck off the back of a truck... and they have said there are certain things they would rather see etc... but you dont have a lot of choices or say when you hire someone else to build it.. especially when you are not getting a lot built at this point in time...

Also... I can understand a big company like MC or BU saying to a customer... if your boat breaks in half... (highly unlikely) we will give you a new one...

But small company who is farming stuff out to get built.. do they have the capital or cash flow to manage even just one hull issue? I don't know.

This wasnt meant to open a can of worms.. just interesting hearing what some people in the industry are saying... and what boat buyers think...

I think it is different with Fineline... they not only build Centurian... but also build boats for other companies... to each companies particular specs.. so in fact they are putting out different products to each baot builder... and to my knowledge.. they are only building boats...

Not shower stalls, bath tubs, waterslides etc...

I agree that fiberglass is somewhat a black art... but there is more to consider when you are having to bolt 350hp motors etc to it... rather then fill with some water so a kid can have a bath.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-22-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
Fineline is building the Epics now too.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
hahahaha he just got someone to say exactly what he wanted someone to bring up. so funny.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-22-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Really do you think so, hes been trying for a while I just finally gave in.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
lol if the right people get on here this could get interesting.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2008, 11:33 PM Reply   
Fineline is a totally different story.... they are a boat specific manufacturer with their own warranty.. so no one would have issues with that.

I know a few boats out there that were being fiberglassed in house... and now they have been contracted out to be built by a fiberglass plant who builds RV parts, bath tubs, shower stalls, water slide parts, etc etc etc...

That is a big difference in my opinion... is there not a big difference required in structural integrity between a bathtub and a boat? Maybe not... I am not an engineer... but I would have more peace of mind being out on a lake in something being built by a boat builder than a bathtub builder... hahaha

You guys should get off your Epic issue... the issues I have always brought up in the past... have all been resolved.. change in motor... and some other things... Having known a lot of the behind the scenes information... I was aware of the issues and concerns... publicly posted them... to make people aware... and now they have a better more reliable product on the water... bottom line is... all of their Volvo powered boats had major issues... isn't that something that potential buyers would like to know before buying?

I don't post on here to make friends.. I post what I know...
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-23-2008, 12:00 AM Reply   
Like Patrick on the posts before me, I'm also an Industrial Engineer. And we can both vouch that each and every company has their own specs for quality assurance. They are doing it for themselves and also for the customer. It builds customer satisfaction (first the boat company, secondly us the consumer) and it saves the company money in the long run. Whatever design they get to process they're going to do their best to build an amazing product.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Fineline is a totally different story.... they are a boat specific manufacturer with their own warranty.. so no one would have issues with that.

I know a few boats out there that were being fiberglassed in house... and now they have been contracted out to be built by a fiberglass plant who builds RV parts, bath tubs, shower stalls, water slide parts, etc etc etc...

That is a big difference in my opinion... is there not a big difference required in structural integrity between a bathtub and a boat? Maybe not... I am not an engineer... but I would have more peace of mind being out on a lake in something being built by a boat builder than a bathtub builder... hahaha

You guys should get off your Epic issue... the issues I have always brought up in the past... have all been resolved.. change in motor... and some other things... Having known a lot of the behind the scenes information... I was aware of the issues and concerns... publicly posted them... to make people aware... and now they have a better more reliable product on the water... bottom line is... all of their Volvo powered boats had major issues... isn't that something that potential buyers would like to know before buying?

I don't post on here to make friends.. I post what I know...
unless you want to be specific about a boat why even bother with this. to leave it open just for the sake of stirring the sh@t is lame.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
if you posted in the past the info that "potential buyers would like to know" why not say what boat companies are having bathtub people make their hulls. without those names this thread is pointless.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-23-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Who does it? Spill the beans and let them defend themselves or get blasted like they deserve to be...
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-23-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
They build them to the same specs as before with some one else's new high tech tools. With all the new boat building technology they should be able to build a better product at a more affordable price.
Old     (five_cent_worth)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2008, 5:12 AM Reply   
How is someone building your hull that makes slides and showers any different than seat guy making RV or plane seats - or your LCD guy making cell phones - or your tires on your trailer being made by a company that makes tractor tires.

Also as an engineer - this stuff happens all the time. I am sure that the supplier is qualified and PPAP to all hell. A good company has great suppliers that make them a good company.
Old     (bobby_hottub)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2008, 2:54 AM Reply   
I agree with Whitie and Five Cent Worth. The contracted manufacture is going to build that hull to the boat designers specifications - from the recommended thickness of the gelcoat, to what gets sprayed and what is hand laid, to where the backing plates should go and so on and so forth. They won't be making it up as they go along. Quality might actually improve as many of these specialty companies have better equipment and provide better training for their employees. Personally, I think a good "bathtub" company could build a great boat hull.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2008, 3:38 AM Reply   
As long as they don't put a tub drain on the bottom of your boat. LOL