Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-17-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
All,

I read in the archives a long informative thread concerning where to purchase a HO marine alternator (Thank you Grant and everyone else involved for a VERY informative post). I am going to put a call into Tom at Autolectric, but before I do, I wanted to see if everyone was still happy with the alternators from Autolectrics. (still working/warranty issues/ etc.) Thanks in advance
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-17-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Ben, was that the one for 109.00?
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
Daniel,

This particular post (from Grant) mentioned 189.00. I think it was from November 04?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-18-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
I've bought two of the ones for 109.00 and both have crapped out on me after less than 10 hours of run time. Both times the regulator went out, the last time the stator was bad too. The company is more than willing to replace but I got tired of pullign alt's out of a v-drive. CAll grant if your looking for soemthing to put out more than 110-115 amps. If less than that you can get a good solid rebuild for cheap from a local place, but make sure they marinize it.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-18-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
When buying an alt make sure you see them bench test it if possible, this way you can see how many amps and at what voltages the alt will produce under load at varying RPM’s
Old     (klpnautique)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
Hey Ben- My 2 Cents- I just got a HO alt from these guys - http://www.4alterstart.com/ I went to a higher output alt to help run stereo, lights, heater, etc. They gave me good, fast service, helpful customer service, and what seems to be a quality product with bench test results. It was marine grade and powder coated black. I ordered a 135 amp alt and I think it was about $140 total. I can not attest to long term use because I just put it on, but I did try it out and it worked great. Good Luck!

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-19-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
RD, those are the $109.00 ones I was referring to. I have not had good experience with them. I hope yours last longer than mine. Just and FYI... (both times) my problems started with the voltage dropping from 14.1 down to 12.5 intermetantly then would stay at 12.5 for a while then jump back up. finally it never went back up to 14.1-2. Accordign to my local alt guy (who ended up rebuiling that one for me) said he used to use the stators in "Alterstart's" alt's but had too many problems wiht them. HE also mentioned that the regulator was a mediocre quality (not terrible, but not good) ......bottom line you get what you pay for. Expect to spend $300-$500 for a good HO alt ( over 120 amps).

I will say Alterstart's customer service is very good and they are very eager to replace, but after two times...I'm tired of pulling alt's out of a v-drive.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on January 19, 2006)

Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-19-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments guys. I spoke to Grant's guy (autolectrics in Campbell) and he takes my stock alternator and basically rewinds it. He said I could expect 130 amps or so and that it would cost around $200. I am looking for a little more juice. My stereo guy can order a marine alternator that is supposed to bench at 160 amps (cold) and he will offer lifetime warranty on it. I am leaning on going that route just for peace of mind. (definitely want to see the bench test first) It is substantially more expensive (500 to 600 range), but I like the warranty part. I think Adam is right, you get what you pay for. I will get the name of the supplier and post for comments. Thanks again for the input
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-19-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
let us know what you find out. Wher alot of HO alt's have problems is producing a decent amount of amps at low RPM
Old     (klpnautique)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-19-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thanks Adam! Oh well wish me luck, lol. :-)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
Autolectrics in Campbell is under new ownership. The alternators we used to have make for us were diffrent from the Marine Alternator's they sell over the counter. I havent been able to sit down with the new owner's as of yet, to get the old alternators we used to have them build for us. The standard over the counter Marine alternator they sell is much like any other marine alternator you can buy.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
IMO its not who biulds your alternator. Its what parts they build it with.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-20-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
well said grant. what can the alt's you can have built, produce? price?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
for now that's the problem, The ones we used to have him build threw 135 amp's They would charge at 600-800 rpm's 14.4

Im working on pricing but you can expect to pay between $300-400 Thats for the Larger rebuilt case not rebuilding your stock alternator that goes for around $150-200
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-20-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
How many amps will it put out at 800 rpm's? The other alt I had that put out 135 amp claimed to put out 65 amps? The alt did what it said .....but only for a few hours of run time.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
It all depend's This is the way it go's for my alternator's

#1 If your batterys are fully charged The alternator will throw hardley any amp's and be pushing 14.4 volt's
#2 If your Batterys are low your alternator will be working full blast pushing close to max amp's depending on how low your battery's are and how much of a draw your stereo is pulling while your battery's are low.

A great way to smaoke a $400 alternator is run your batterys all the way down. Then crank up your boat and start charging. Then crank up your tunes fire up your boat heater turn on your lights and every other acc you have and you will over load the alternator and poof go's the alternator. No alternator can take that type of abuse, And yes I have done exactley what I described above Trial and Error my friend's.

IMO the key is to "A" have a large battery bank so that you can play for as long as you like with the motor off with out running out of power. "B" Knowing when to fire up and start charging so your alternator is not under a HUGE ammout of stress. "C" knowing when to not "Rock it"
I have "A and "B down Im stll havng trouble with "C"
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-20-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
That is classic. I am pretty sure I will never master "C"