Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-09-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
I am nailing the tantrum on the trampoline and i am getting the spin on the whirlybird but I am not landing it. I cant seem to spin fast enough. I tried bringing my feet in closer and try whipping myself faster but i cant seem to do it. does anyone have any tips on spinning faster to land it?
Old    110outlet            11-09-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
Try it with out the handle and make sure you see the trampoline twice, and when practicing dont just huke your body, punch your handle hand across your face as you rotate. I started spinning whirly 5s on the tramp when i started spinning and using my arms, you spin way faster when you punch with one and throw the other behind you.
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-09-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
I need to punch harder because i am punching but i feel like its never enough. do you see the trampoline twice once have the backflip and once during the spin or once after the backflip and twice during the spin?
Old     (sunsport)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-09-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
Are taking off with one hand on the handle or two. You should only be taking off with one hand on the handle. Also make sure you are launching off your toes. If you go off your heels you will generate more line tension slowing the whole move down.

Skiing made me board,
Lyle
Chrome Dome
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-09-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
im willing to bet that your not rolling your shoulders over when you leave the mat. at the same time when your pulling the handle across your body you want to roll your shoulders with the punch and crank your head over your back shoulder like your looking behind you
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-09-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
Is it just me or does the idea of trying a whirlybird on a trampoline sound nuts? I have a hard time staying on the tramp for a tantrum.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-10-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
paul- i used to have that problem too. you need to work on going straight up and over. as you bounce off the mat your upper body should be going straight up and soon as your feet leave the mat you bring them up and throw just your head back, not your whole body.
Old    110outlet            11-10-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
It sounds like your doing a backflip 360 or whats called a back full, your trying to do a backflip and then a 360 on the way down. A whirly is also the same as a corked 720 for skiers. Your spin is out to the side instead of on the way down, so the other Jason is right you need to look over your shoulder immediately then you see the tramp once and then punch your hand across this will cause that barrel/ spin roll out sideways then you see the tramp again and come down for the landing. Ill try and get some footage for ya on the tramp of the steps to learn a whirly. It will put the footage up in a week or less.
Old     (eliotflydog)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-11-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
whirlys r my favorite trick i can do.
Do it like ur gonna do a tantrum but throw your arm across your face when u do it and it helps to keep your elbow at aout a 90 degree angle when you throw it across your face. you dont want your arm extended out over your head cause it makes the landings tuff
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-11-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
there is a lot of comments on here... ive been on the water all weekend but ya thanks for the advice however i think i kno what im doing wrong now. laterr
Old    110outlet            11-12-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Maggie if you have a copy of the Oct WBM they have a higher learning on it, the rear view of it shows you how to lay out and see the water twice.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-15-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
so, uh, Maggie Keller (maggiewss)...you want to try to whip your arm accross your face, maybe try kissing your bicep. this should speed up your rotation and help you get the whirly all the way around.