Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
So I'm buying my first Surf board. I have pleanty of time on the Hyperlite's 5'11" Landlock. Riding it is like driving a bus. Weighting my Malibu I have a pretty good handle on now. I'm very proficient on a wakeboard and am looking for a pretty advanced surf board. This has led me to Inland Surfers. Now, the last step, which one? The local craigslist there is an 03 Red Chubby for $240. I'm wondering if I should just grab that? Or should I spend the extra money to get the 07? I hear the Blue Lagoon is quite desired.

thoughts?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, 5'10", 180lbs working on becoming 175lbs,
(damn cheese burgers and fried food goodness)
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-20-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
I have a chubby, its simalar to thier current yellow loogie. The yellow is a more updated design, and seems to ride faster, and has a better nose design. Im 175 and would say and that im on the higher end of the weight range. The boards is a completly different ride then a landlock, when you'd be costing on a landlock, your working the chubby to stay on the wave. Good board for spins and lip slides and such though. Your looking to pay $350 to $450, for a new board, but a good store will let you demo a couple shapes before you buy. The blue lake is more surf shape board. Fast and rather nimble. I've seen pictures of people doing airs on them. At $240 the chubby is a good deal (depending on condition), sound like a good way to pick a up a different shape to play around on one. If your looking for the perfect board for you, you may look around at around a all the new models that are out.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-20-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
I say get a Walzer.
Old    surfdad            05-20-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
That's a good point Ben. The older Red Chubby's came with a hula deck option, but no EVA Traction. If you added EVA to the cost of the 240 you're at about 315 for a used board in a shape that Inland doesn't produce anymore. Wakeoutlaws.com has Walzer's brand new for $375.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-20-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
Is the Red Chubby the same/similar to the Red Tide? I'd recommend the Yellow over the Red for your size. The Blue is a good board for most riders, but I think you'll have more opportunities to grow with the Yellow.
Old    surfdad            05-20-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
The Red Chubby more closely resembles the '06 Yellow and prior.

Ed, did you get the new Inland video's?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-20-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
At the end of last season Jeff Page sent links to an on line video and an online slide show.

I rode the Orange Phlegm before Wakefest last year. The Orange is also about the same size as the Yellow but the Orange rode kind of slow for me. But that’s probably about right since I’m over 200 pounds.

I like the Yellow much more than the Orange. What’s amazing to me is the yellow rides fairly fast even for a 200 ++ rider.

I’ve finally had enough rides this season to get back to the same riding skill level (advanced novice) that I was at last year. My first ride of the season I tried riding a small Trick Boardz Velocity. Yesterday I rode the Velocity at 8.8 and 9 mph. After a few rides I was able to carve, ride in a mushy wake, and fall back and pump to recover.
Old     (ktownrider)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-20-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
I had an 03 Chubby and still have an 04 and I would say it's not worth $240. I love Inland Surfer and you should be able to find a better board for less. I think the Yellow would be good for your size. Or like Jeff said, look at some Walzer boards, I've been thinking of adding one to my line up.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
I bought a 2003 Red Chubby from some one on WW for 85 shipped. It is in very good shape for being 4 years old. I would never spend $240 on a 4 year old board. Keep looking. Post in the wanted section. I sent a random email to a guy that posted a reply to a guy in the wanted section. That guy never contacted him, and he still had the board, so I bought it.
Good luck.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
I went to wakeoutlaws.com to look at the walzers and I had a few questions. Does anybody know how to contact them, I didn't see any contact info on the site. Or maybe somebody knows-Do they have the walzers stocked or are they all going the be custom made and I'll have to wait. The reason I ask is I'd like it soon for a Lake Powell trip in two weeks. Asking too much? Probably.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
Walzer can be contacted at info@walzerboards.com
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
I am in the process of buying a board. Looking at the red tide. I noticed it said "woodloc" technology. Are these boards made out of wood? I know it's a stupid question. We've been riding a 6'10 epoxy surftech fish. Kind of hard to get up due to its thickness (3 inches)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-09-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
What size riders are you looking to get a board for. The Red Tide is a fairly big board. I weigh 265 and I ride a Walker Composite X 5.0 which is only 5'. The Red Tide I think is 5'6" and wide.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-09-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
You've got an Enzo!! You're going to have a killer wake so you don't need a Red Tide to make up for a small wake. You might need one if you're in the 300 pound class. If you're looking at Inland surfer look at the Blue or Yellow.

As Dennis points out Walker makes some great boards. I rode an F-18 last year, that's a great surf style board.
Old    surfdad            06-10-2007, 7:24 AM Reply   
Hey Matthew,

No one answered your question about the Inland Surfer Woodloc process. Not a stupid question, I'm not sure how many folks are aware of what the IS Woodloc process is all about.

This diagram from their site is helpful:

http://www.inlandsurfer.com/woodloc.htm

The boards have a foam (EPS) core with glass and epoxy covering, but IS inserts thin layers of a wood laminate on the top and bottom of those boards that have the Woodloc construction. IS states it stiffens the boards up and is part of what makes them so fast.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-10-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
I think I understand the concept now. It is kind of similar to the tuflite technology by Surftech. Our weight ranges from 110 pound womer to a 6'3 240 pound heavyweight. We're all pretty experienced ocean surfers too. None of my pals really dig the looks of some of the wake surfboards. I like the look of the walkers though. How thick is the composite x 5.0?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-10-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
The Walker Composite X is 1" thick