Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    drewsky24            01-17-2005, 11:37 AM Reply   
this might sound really stupid but i am having major trouble getting up in deep water, and i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips fo dock starts
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-17-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
How big are you? What kind of boat? How high is your pier?

Easiest way is to sit on the edge of a pier near one side or another. This allows you to position your lead foot somewhat with the direction of the boat. You want to weight your back foot, to keep the nose of your board up so that even if the board becomes partially or completely submerged it will work itself out of the water. Or you can sit on the edge in the middle, start with you board in the alignment you would for a deep water start. As the boat pulls you off the pier stand up, keeping your knees bent as your board planes move your lead foot forward.
Old    wickedwake            01-17-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
I dont know the right way to do it but the way it do it....I keep my elbows locked into my side (keeps me from being pulled over the front of my board) I bring my knees into my chest and as I start to be pulled through the water I push myself up, much like a weighted squat. For me the biggest thing was keeping my elbows in close b/c I would always let my arms go straight out and just superman over the front of my board. After that I was fine. Good luck bro!
Old    drewsky24            01-17-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
thats exactly what would happen to me, my friend also would slowly accelerate the boat which just kept me dragging in the water on my back
Old    wickedwake            01-17-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Well im not sure if your freind knows how to pull a wakeboarder (doesnt seem so) But make sure that they dont baby the throttle when you are trying to get up. Tell him to accelarate and plan out just as if he was pulling a novice. nothig screws people up when learning more then a driver who wants to baby the rider. Good luck man, you'll get it and be pulling 3's in no time!
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-17-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
andrew,
Here are my fool-proof 3 steps to getting a beginner up:
1) Try a little drill i do with beginners... Float on your back in the water, and practise sinking the board below you in the water. To do this, you will have to do 2 things. 1) knees up to your chest and bend them to try to kick yourself in the butt with the heal side edge of the board. 2) paddle your upper body forward with your hands. Do this a couple of times until you get the feeling of sinking the board under you.
2) Grab a handle and float in the water on your back with your arms straight and knees bent up to your chest. Have someone pull on the rope from the boat. when you feel pressure against the bottom of the board, try to sink the board below you by keeping your arms straight and trying to kick yourself in the butt with your heels.
3) try getting up behind the boat now. Do the exact same thing that you were doing for the last drill (ie. arms straight, knees bent up to your chest, when you feel pressure against the bottom of the board, try to kick yourself in the butt with your heels and sink the board below you). Have the boat driver accelerate fairly slowly and smoothly (with the right technique, you can get up almost at idle!)
Once you get the feeling of comming up out of the water, SLOWLY stand up and spin your front leg forward by pushing the handle down to your lead hip.
Two things to remember:
1)Arms straight (don't pull yourself up - you will fall backwards!).
2)Kick yourself in the butt (This actually does 2 things. First, it puts the board at the correct planing angle, so it will come up on top of the water instead of plowing. Secondly, it will force you to keep your knees bent until you are up on the water. Only once you are up on top of the water should you SLOWLY straighten your legs into your wakeboarding stance)
Hope that all makes sense!
Good luck!
B
Old    drewsky24            01-17-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
sounds promising