Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (needwake)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-14-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
I got my wife to try wakeboarding last night for the first time! She promised that she would try this summer and the conditions were perfect and just a few of us in the boat so she gave it a go. Got up on the first try and went straight over the wake heelside. I was so stoked! (and proud)

She had a hard time getting back on her toes to go back over so she tried to do a surface 180 and go back switch. Didn't work as planned and she wiped out but got right back up and tried it again.

She didn't make it back over the wake but said that she was just happy she got up and can't wait to try again.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-14-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Sweet!!!! Now it will be easier for you to buy more boat toys. ....
Old    bigrich            07-14-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Can she call my wife. Shes been talking about trying for years but everytime she chickens out.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-14-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Nice Job Todd. I just got my GF up and riding two weeks ago and now she is hooked. Makes the sales pitch to buy a boat so much easier
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-14-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
I am years behind you but hope someday my wife will give it a try. I try not to pressure her but I just know how much fun it is. She will ride around in the boat all day but seems to have no desire to board.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
My mom would never try wakeboardiing, something about being strapped in and "I don't have the strength for it..." but she finally gave the wakesurfer a try and she got up for a brief moment after a few tries and she had a good time. Next time out she will try it again and I think it makes the whole lake experience 10x better when everyone on board has some sort of sport they try. So Jon and RIch maybe you can get them to try that?
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-14-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
Tell her a great big congratulations! That's great news for both of you.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Good work. I don't hink I could date/marry someone that wasn't at least game to try it. "Can't never got anything done, try got all kinds of $#!T done" is pretty much the motto on the boat. Girls are so good at it too, natural riders for sure. I guess it might just be my family though, my parents met on a waterski trip & my grandpa still skis and my grandma wakeboards.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Thats awesome!!! My wife has skied for years, and when we got the new boat I asked her to try it and she said yes!! She tried on my board and got right up, but had a hard time cause the bindings are so big.

So we went to the board shop and got her a new board and bindings that FIT HER! Now she loves it, the skis are collecting dust in the bottom of the locker.

After 15 years of marriage, here are my 3 pieces of advice.

1) Never pressure anyone into trying something they dont want to do, especially the person who decides if you get laid!

2) If you don't get along VERY well, have her go to a clinic, or have a trusted friend teach her, with you nowhere to be seen or heard.

3) Suck it up and buy her some good gear that fits her, not the ten year old directional board that you bought at Wal-Mart for $50 bucks.

Good Luck!!!

Sean
Old    bigrich            07-14-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Sean good points especially #1
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
Oh, and one more thing, ...

ALWAYS encourage, never critique!! Same applies for kids.

For Example:

Great job Hunny!! You almost got up!! Just turn the board next time!! How does that water taste?

Thats it, now hold on to the rope next time, you may need it!!

I Love you, you are going GREAT!! Let me know when you are ready, ok? No, there is no hurry, take your time.

It's ok, my old girlfriend NEVER got up, you are doing so much better than her!!

Remember, when in doubt, ALWAYS fall back on:

I LOVE YOU HUN!!

Good Luck

Sean
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-14-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
Well its good to know that I'm not the only one on the lake sounding like you Sean
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-14-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
LOLOL, yeah Cory, it is a learned behavior. As opposed to when I take my brothers out...

"Holy S**t!!! That looks like it hurt!!" or

"WTF stupid, you will have a hard time riding without the friggin rope stupid!"

or, my favorite...

"Any friggin time now retard, you want my ten yr old to show you how to get up, again?"

Good times!!

Sean
Old     (bwellsusmc)      Join Date: May 2006       07-14-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
Congrats on your wife getting up. My wife just got up recently as well and is in love with wakeboarding now. Just got her the Hyperlite Syn 132. Glad to see all the marriage advice, know were to come now when in doubt about anything
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
My wife is 47 and loves to board....She doesn't do a whole lot of big jumps, but hey she tries her ass off. and alot of times is the only chick on the lake boarding...I think she rocks.