Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-31-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
Sunday I tried a HS frontflip and tweaked the bad knee. the doc said it's most likely a bad sprain. But it feels like more than a sprain. Hopefully I can avoid another surgery.got a follow up w/ the doc next week.
Just wondering if anybody else jacked the knee while wearing a brace.

woundedknee x2
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-31-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
Trace, I jacked my knee while wearing a brace. Random accident, came down all wrong on a toeside 180 while experimenting with a longer line than usual. Cased the wake, compressed my knee super hard, got pulled forward, and bent it the wrong way. Minor damage to the meniscus and badly bruised bones. I'm pretty convinced that my leg just would have snapped in half backwards if I had not been wearing the brace, so I can't complain too much. It was an over-the-counter brace (but a beefy and well-fitting one) and not a custom job.
Hope that your leg heals up OK. Watch those fronts... they can be brutal for old dudes like us. See you out on the D'!
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
Yeah, I just hurt my knee again saturday with my new brace. It does happen. I do think a brace can minimize the damage though.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-31-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
Mine's already screwed up (torn ACL), even with the brace (CTI2) I still get "stung" every once in a while.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 4:42 AM Reply   
Yup.. not terribly long after ACL replacement thought I completely tore mine again while wearing a brace. Turns out I didn't, but I don't think a brace provides much more than mental security. More important is strengthening the surrounding muscles, in my opinion.

I'm not a dr or even a physical therapist, so keep in mind I'm just providing opinion from my own experience.

Good luck!
Old    flackpb            08-01-2003, 7:03 AM Reply   
Tore my meniscus while wearing a brace, 2 years after ACL surgery. Wasn't doing anything special either, just a simple w2w jump. Landed and felt a sharp pain on the inside of my knee, kind of like a burning sensation.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
I never saw the need to wear a knee brace while cranking a "joint" I guess if you crank on it a lot it might save your knee if you fell on your a**. But when your really cranking on one, I am sure it would be like a drunk driver who crashes real hard, they seem to almost never get hurt because they are so relaxed when they get roughed up. So I would say no knee brace needed! okokok I will shut up, couldn't resist!!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
the reason for wearing it was a torn meniscus and badly bruised bones like dococ. then picked up a CTI2 loved it, never board w/o it.
jeff, I can relate to getting "stung" part. it's happened a few times.
1st injury was impact, this time it was more like the knee bent/ twisted a little.
And like pete mentioned, I had the burning sensation and sharp pains on the outside of the knee.
definiteley not as bad as the first time
thanks guys for your input.

woundedknee x2
trace
Old    deltahoosier            08-01-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
Sorry to here that Trace. Get better soon. Does CTI have any claims or anything about not getting hurt in there brace. I doubt it, but, my be worth a look through there literature.