Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-06-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
I finally have access to a winch and really want to start hitting some waterfalls, spillways, etc. It seems like you only see pro/advanced riders hitting these kind of gaps (probably because they are the only ones with winches) but are they hard to do? It seems like it is straightforward...if you can ollie, land a wake jump way in the flats, and land a huge double up then it shouldnt be hard. Am I missing something? My ultimate goal is to hit this gap http://www.legeros.com/hidden-raleigh/images/lassiter-mill.jpg
Old     (mfifer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-06-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
It's definitely a lot easier than you think, also it's one of the most enojyable things you can do. It is such a different feeling than riding behind the boat you get hooked instantly if I could hit drops and winch every day I would prefer it over riding behind a boat. That is a sick drop as well, have a blast you will be hooked.

(Message edited by mfifer on October 06, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
just go fast
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-06-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
yup the faster the better chance you have of not undershooting the gap and if ur too slow the landing will be really hard to pull off.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
Seems doable. I would recommend just trying a smaller gap to start off... and fully checkout the landing area
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-07-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
how does one know they cant do someting till they try.... go for it!! if im ever up that way im going to try it!!
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-07-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
Hey Adam..

Just as everyone said, the more speed the easier the landing will be. I have gone and checked out that spot and have actually swam it. It looks awesome but has some HUGE rocks under the water at the bottom of the fall and where I estimated the landings. Too sketchy for me.. I went back one day after a ton of rain thinking the water would be higher and the rocks maybe deep enough to hit it, but the current was WAY to fast for me to swim it.

(Message edited by chrishopf on October 07, 2009)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
Nah man... they are super easy if you are comfortable with your olie timing... I find backside spins to be easy off them as well.

Have fun, that dam looks like a great time.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-07-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
dang chris, that would happen...the one epic winch spot I know! haha Do you know any good spots in the raleigh area that you would be willing to disclose?

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like if i can find a safe one, Im doing it for sure.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-07-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
We winched the fountain in front of the NC State Bookstore. Other than that, theres not much around raleigh.