Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (board4ce07)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Dude everytime i try to do a raley i just end up doing a laid out backroll and i dont know what im doing wrong. My friend can land them fine and tries to give me tips but it doesnt help. it might be a mental block but i really dont know.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Too much weight on your back foot coming up the wake. Try doing them with a wakeskate first, then add the wakeboard.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Yes. Leo is correct. One of the main problems people have with raleys are stargazing them. You definatly need more weight on your front foot than you would expect.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
From the point you start your cut, never stop looking at the boat.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
I dont know about that matt, I dont look at the boat until I know I am riding up the wake.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-23-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
yes...definitely try with a wakeskate...i have been and it helps a ton with confidence and bringing your feet back under you...my only problem is now i did them with the wakeboard but now i land switch...whats the deal?i can land and ride switch but what am i doing wrong?...maybe not looking at the boat totally?

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
Midwesty- I know your problem, but I am not sure if I can put it into words. I had the same problem when i started doing them. I think it has to do with handle positioning. Try pulling the handle more to your lead hip. When I first started doing them, I would drift into a 911 but then have to yank with back hand to pull both feet under evenly.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-23-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
thats it...now that u say that the handle is always on my back hip and when i am bringing it back in i spin the 180...thanks...will try it this weekend
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       05-23-2005, 10:25 PM Reply   
Good luck bro. Last season I learned how to pull one, and I agree... The wakeskate is the safest, and easiest way to learn. Here's a pic of me 2 weeks ago... Sorry about the goofy look on my face. Hurry up and learn it... It's a fun, and easy trick to do.

-Blake

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
I don't know if I would question Matt's instruction. Take from the guy that stomps Vulcans! He definitely knows how to do a raley.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-24-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
In the book, they say to push the handle towards the flats on the landing to avoid the blind landing.

Eric
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
If he is landing Vulcan's, he is also a little more experienced and can trust himself not too look at the wake. For us mortals, we look at the wake till the last second. I would not trust myself by not looking at the wake.
Old    wakesyco            05-24-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
I never stop looking at the tower or boat. If your looking at the wake you never going to have
enough time to extend and then pull it back in, a raley is a trick that should be taken to the
flats, also looking a the boat will keep you from stargazing somewhat. good luck