Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    domtatro            04-07-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
Im going on a housboating trip to lake powell this june but i have been hearing that the lake is really low. Has anyone been recently is it still worth thd two day drive? Post pics of you have any please.
Old    leggester            04-07-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
Have fun. If the boat's already rented and you back out now, I believe they still charge you at least $500.00.

Might as well go and have a good time.

Check: http://www.nps.gov/glca/ for Glenn Canyon info

Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-07-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
the lake is low but dont let it scare you away! there is still plenty to see and it gives the lake a different perspective. When its low you just have to be careful of underwater hazards thats all!
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
As of today it,s 93.5' down from high water of 3700'. we go every year and last year in august it was down 76', not a problem as you ALWAYS nead to be aware of obstructions below water line. It is usually easy to see shalow spots because water color will change, the water is very clear in most of the lake. And yes it is worth the 2 day drive!
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
The water is way down, it is very dangerous, you will not enjoy it, it is not worth the drive, don't go.

But if you have already made up your mind, then come anyway and you will have the time of your life. Yes it is lower, but there are a lot more beaches available at this level. The lake is still huge, but you have to be careful whatever the level is. The only real problem is Stateline ramp is closed and Wahweap is below the concrete ramp (into the asphalt ramp), so that means that it will be crowded and more hectic launching. Antelope Island is no longer an island, so you have to go the long way around by the dam. Maybe the low level will scare enough people away to leave butter for the rest of us.
Old    jp_mac            04-08-2003, 5:12 PM Reply   
We are going the end of June. We have been north out of Wahweap and south out of Halls. This year we are thinking of going north out of Halls. Any suggestions? With the new gas guzzler (Wake boat not Houseboat) fuel is a concern. Thanks!
Old    hitman            04-08-2003, 6:44 PM Reply   
We are going at the end of April, and our looking forward to it. Even thought the water is down there is still plenty to enjoy.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-08-2003, 8:12 PM Reply   
When the lake is full the water depth at the dam is around 500'.
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-08-2003, 11:33 PM Reply   
I heard bullfrong is good for wakeboarding better than wahweap w/ all the chop it gets
Old    exdeckboater2            04-09-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
We will also be out there in June. Getting a 36 ft house boat out of Hall's Crossing on June 18 returning it on June 24. We are anxious to have the Supra on Lake Powell and see how different it looks from when we were there in June 2000.

Only 70 more days!!!!
Old    xtremrider            04-09-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
ITS MY FAVORITE PLACE IN THE WORLD!! There is always an awsome place to ride pluce the scenery is out of control.
Old    leggester            04-09-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
Jeez Sam! You drive there from Round Rock? How long a haul is that? We have an 8 hour drive to Bullfrog from Denver.

I assume you go out of Wahweap?
Old    exdeckboater2            04-09-2003, 11:11 AM Reply   
We went to Wahweap in 2000, this time we are going to Hall's Crossing. It is actually a little closer to Hall's, a little over 1000 miles each way, but well worth it. It's not like we do it every weekend, it is our vacation you know!!

Last time we had a deckboat and loaded everything on it a beach camped for 5 days. This time we are getting a houseboat and have the Supra that will run much better. The old carberated 120 outboard didn't like the altitude very much.

Old    dwe            04-09-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
Dominic,

Here is some info that you might find useful. As the others have said, you always have to watch where you are going.

Have Fun!
David

http://www.summittech.com/LakePowell/LP_WaterDB.php

Lake Powell - Ramp and Area Updates

Lake Powell is at its lowest level since it began to fill. What does this mean?
· Lake Powell is still a great place to vacation this summer - low water means great beaches & canyon hiking opportunities
· All concessioner operated marinas are open with the exception of Antelope Point which is under construction
· Boat tours are scheduled as usual at Wahweap and Bullfrog Marinas
· Houseboat and small boat rentals are available at Wahweap, Bullfrog, Halls Crossing & Hite - for information call ARAMARK 1-800-528-6154 or www.visitlakepowell.com
· Rainbow Bridge National Monument is open and accessible by water. However BE PREPARED, the walk from the courtesy docks to the viewing point is approximately 3/4 mile.
· When camping in areas more than 200 yards from a constructed toilet facility, a method of containing solid human waste is required.

Areas temporarily closed or inaccessible due to low water:
· Defiance House Ruins are inaccessible by water.
· Castle Rock Cut is closed - you now have an opportunity to follow the main channel around Antelope Island and view many landforms that have been submerged for years.
· Vehicle access to the lake is not possible at Dirty Devil, Farley, and White Canyon camping areas.

Public Launching Facilities: Information below is based on current Bureau of Reclamation predictions for lake levels this year.

Wahweap/Stateline Marina:
· 7 lanes on the Wahweap public launch ramp are open for all size boats
· Parking at this time of year is plentiful near the ramp.

BE PREPARED - delays in launching may occur with limited launch lanes - especially on weekends and holidays

· Stateline public launch ramp is currently closed to all motorized vessels
· The ramp will be extended in April (at lowest water level) and reopened to motorized vessels as water level permits
· During extension of ramp, portions of the ramp will continue to be open for launching of kayaks and canoes - no courtesy docks available at this time

Antelope Point Marina:
· Antelope Point public launch ramp and other public facilities are currently closed
· The ramp is being extended in April (at lowest water level) and may be opened later in the year as water levels permit
· Antelope Point Marina & Resort will be under construction this summer

Bullfrog Marina:
· At all times the Bullfrog public launch ramp will have a minimum of 2 lanes available for launching of all size boats
· The launch ramp will be extended in April (at lowest water level) and lanes opened as water levels allow
· The ferry ramp is being extended and will reopen as water levels allow
· The Lake Powell Ferry is temporarily out of operation starting March 3rd for approximately 3 weeks, after which the ferry will be re-located to a temporary site on Hobie Cat Beach.

BE PREPARED - delays in launching may occur with limited launch lanes - especially on weekends and holidays

Halls Crossing Marina:

· Low water conditions have not affected this ramp
· 4 lanes on the west side of Halls Crossing public launch ramp are open for all size boats
· The Ferry is temporarily launching from the east side of the main ramp (see temporary closure notice under Bullfrog Marina.)
· The ferry ramp is being extended and will reopen as water levels allow

Hite Marina:
· The public launch ramp is closed
· A temporary dirt facility is available for river raft take-outs - launching of small boats is at own-risk
· Water conservation efforts are in place

Old    exdeckboater2            04-09-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
Great info. I had found the water level site before and check it every several days. In June of 2000 when we were there the water level was around 3682 and today 3606. It should look different, but since we won't be in the same area, it will look different any!!

Hopefully the snow that fell up in CO will trickle down to Lake Powell.
Old    leggester            04-09-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
The hills here aren't in too bad a shape. Most of the snow is on the East of the Divide though. That means the wrong side for the Colorado River.

So far, it looks like a 'normal' runoff year which will help a bit, but it took four years to get into the drought. One year won't undo all the damage.

Wish I could get out there at that time. Maybe I'll look into it. read: check with the boss!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2003, 2:52 PM Reply   
Matt,

Round Rock is a short drive compared to some people that make the Powell trek from here. We're 8 hours east of Denver. I nice 16+ hour drive to Powell.

Looks like all that Colorado runoff will be headed our way!
Old    leggester            04-09-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
Ugh! And Table Rock not that far away from you either.

We're going to have to have a Powell get together one of these years. I guess I'm spoiled since I can make it a day trip and still be on time for happy hour.

Runoff should be better this year for y'all. It's supposed to be a pretty wet April and May.
Old    exdeckboater2            04-10-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
Well I just recalulated the mileage for my route. Round Rock to Hall's Crossing - 1106 miles. Round Rock to Page 1086 miles.

Who's going to Table Rock? I grew up in Springfield and spent many hours on Table Rock. Haven't been on the lake since '97 when we left St. Louis for TX. I need to take the Supra up next time I go visit the family.
Old    leggester            04-10-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
Do you go via I70 to Halls? Boy that's still a long haul.

I don't know if anyone's giong to Table Rock, it would just seem closer to you guys. I stayed at Big Cedar there a couple years ago, very nice place!
Old    exdeckboater2            04-10-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
Table rock is much closer to TX than Powell, but there is no comparison. Now when Table Rock used to be clean, there might have been an extremely slim chance of wanting to go there instead of Powell, but not now.
Old    leggester            04-10-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
Oh, I didn't know Table Rock had a pollution problem.

I must agree, there's nothing like Powell. I don't generally do this, but:

If you really want to 'get away', get to the San Juan. It's an 8 hr drive in the house boat so there's very few people there. Closest ice run in the morning is Dangling Rope.

Up the San Juan about 20 miles are a series of three extremely large lakes ( cross them at 30 mph and it takes about 45 minutes )

From the main lake into the San Juan is the spot we try to camp. It's 5 miles in, just past the goose neck.

Have fun
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-10-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Heard on the Radio that houseboats on Lake Powell are half off through June 21? Don't hold me on that date though my mind is not all there sometimes.
Old    leggester            04-10-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
I checked, it ended March 31 though:

To Book:
Call 1-888-486-4659
or
Click here to the special online reservation area

Not valid on existing reservations. Offer must be booked by 3/31/03 and is subject to availability and changes without notice. Trip must be completed by 6/29/03 uplake and 6/23/03 downlake. Inventory is limited - excludes 46' Houseboats. Offer is valid only on regular rates. Not valid with any other offer or discount. Taxes are not included. Offer does not include waiver of liability, damage deposit and fuel.

Old    exdeckboater2            04-10-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
There were UP to half off and you had to make your reservations by the end of March. I of course made our reservations back in Sept and when I saw the special, there were none available for the week we wanted. Ours would have been about $600 off not 50%, but $600 would have been better than the $0 I got. Oh well!!
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-25-2003, 8:12 PM Reply   
Holy ****, you guys drive over a 1000 miles to get here? that sucks. I only live an hour and a half away from page.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-25-2003, 8:40 PM Reply   
We all can't be lucky enough to live in hurricane