Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-05-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
I'm curious how many people take someone with them that can run the boat. I find it ridiculous how many people park their boat on the dock, then walk to the truck with a line of boats waiting to A)launch and B)get out of the water. It is a little frustrating IMO, b/c they are taking up space and making the waits longer of everyone around them.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-05-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
nick,
i've noticed around the delta and sac river there are more fishermen, cruisers boating either solo or a guy w/ some bimbo who won't or doesn't have the capacity to learn how to operate a boat or a tow vehicle.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-05-2006, 11:01 PM Reply   
I back the boat in with my wife behind the wheel and off she goes. I think what makes it even worse is when people pull theit boat out, they feel the need to park in front of the ramp so they can detail the boat, got to the bathroom, put everythng away....Just watching the line waiting get bigger and bigger.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-05-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
I ususlly have someone to back me down and drop me in. There have been many times where I did it myself. I don't feel too bad though. I am still quicker than many of the wallies that can't figure out how to get their boat off or on the trailer. I have backed down, climbed on my boat, docked it, and came back to my trailer to find the same dude that I pulled up next to, still trying to get his boat into or out of the water. And yes, I have offered to give them a hand, or at least a couple tips.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-05-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
Buzz nailed it. There are those who are skilled at launching all by themselves. There are others that can't figure it out even with ten people with them.

You know, we all had to learn and you aren't born with the skill of launching a boat but you do learn by watching others. Being courteous and quick when others are in line should be second nature. Unfortunately, it's not, at least for some people.

I will say this, there have been times where I've offered to help someone on the ramp who was obviously struggling. It happened just last week in fact. Doing so in a non-threatening way and with a smile on your face will usually result in your helping, AND teaching, someone how to be more efficient on the ramp.

We all love the water so why not reach out and help someone a little. They'll be better off for it. And so will the rest of us...
Old    live2wakeboard            07-06-2006, 12:09 AM Reply   
I just have to say the ppl i go to the lake with i dont trust to drive my truck or my boat for the most fact that they didn't grow up around the water and that alot of them aren't 16. I just turned 16 my self but i grew up on a ranch and backed trailers my entire life so i dont worry about that and im the only one in my family besides my dad that can drive my boat!! So i am forced to do it by myself. I go as fast as i can and put my boat to the side of the dock where other ppl can come up and dock!! I will admit tho i hate it when ppl think that just because they are unloading by them selfs they can take up the entire dock so they can go pull up there trailer!!
Lucky T
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-06-2006, 2:23 AM Reply   
We always drive it off and drive it on. My old man backs us down the dock and I drive it off, then I drop him off, he grabs the truck while I clear out of the way, then he backs down, I drive it up and we are out of there. And yeah we do wipe our boat down and take a piss and all of that, but in the designated area. I know it makes me pretty annoyed when people block up the way to do that, so we are always courteous about all of those things.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-06-2006, 4:19 AM Reply   
I've got to say Im guilty of pulling the boat off and going back to the truck.However I make sure everything is ready in the boat plus I have a system so I do it pretty quickley.Besides like someone mentioned nobody usually complains because their to busy detailing their boat or loading it.I find Im faster by myself then other people are with help.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
This is a nationwide problem.It especially burns on a busy morning,with 6 people sitting in a boat,on a dock,and no one knows how to operate the boat except the one driving the truck.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-06-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
taught the chica how to back in a parking lot with cones for about 4 hours with cones. Even the rednecks look in amazement now. What really gets me going is the dumbasses who use the loading and unloading dock to park their boat with 10 people in it, blocking everyone else. I have solved that problem, slowly tail whip or bow approach, let my backer off on their boat to access the boat. One guy said something to my chica about it, her response is not fit for a family board
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-06-2006, 6:08 AM Reply   
Someone who can't run the boat?! Unless this person is a youngster as mentioned by LT above, who can't start a motor and at least get the boat out of the way wihtout hitting someone?
Old     (rooster_cogburn)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-06-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
"Thou Shall Not Take Unnecessary Time At The Launch Ramp"

I think its a Man Law...
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
when we went out this past weekend it I noticed that there would be SO much more room (for everyone) if people didn't line the dock like they do. Instead it way a very tight unload and striaght away from that mess. I do understand if people need to dock for their large dogs though. Earlier this year a stressed out dog was running a muck all over jumping into random peoples boats. Poor thing should have been led on a leash down the dock and onto the boat with his owner.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
I back down, wife handles the boat. Though we spend most of the time in a slip.

My slip overlooks the launch ramp and it is VERY good entertainment just sitting in the boat and watching the launch ramp.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
My wife and I were talking about this over the w/e. I am so lucky my lady is a great boat driver. I laugh my ass off at the look on all the necks faces when they see her stick the boat on the trailer. It like they are think'n "damn, didnt know women could actually drive a boat. Thought thats mens work".
Old    pdxboarder86            07-06-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I think we can all be impatient when all we are thinking about is getting our boat in the water. Shane mentioned tail whipping or bow approach. This kind of stuff only causes problems and helps no one. All boaters should help each other, doing childish stuff like he mentioned can only cause harm. Water can be dangerous and fatal.

I grew up on a farm and can back almost anything up in my sleep but I know others have troubles so I help whenever I can. One thing I have noticed is that when people are backing their trailer up to load a boat they have a hard time seeing the trailer. Here's a tip.......put your tailgate down so you can see your trailer, it's much easier. Everytime I go out I tell someone this and you see their surprise when they realize their life just got easier.

Instead of complaining offer tips to people and everyone will have more fun on the water.
Old     (shortywakeman)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
We used to pull the boat off the trailer then tie it to the dock until my dad came back with the truck becasue, until just recently i have learned to drive the boat on and off the trailer, as a 15 year old, for my dad. Tho we never did feel bad about leaving the boat at the dock until my dad came back becasue we were never there for to long.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-06-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
"put your tailgate down so you can see your trailer,"

Or for those of you in an SUV, raise your liftgate. I had a 1991 Explorer that was pretty easy to see out tha back of but recently purchased a Jeep Commander. The Commander has many good qualities but rear corner visibility is not one of them. After a rather difficult launch, I got into a discussion with a Grand Cherokee owner who suggested raising the liftgate. The difference was night and day.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-06-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Brad I approach all dock pickups with a Stern whip to minimize time and space taken on the dock. If you think that is dangerous or childish I am sorry, it is very efficient. I will not stand for someone hogging the pick up dock, if they are there, they become and extension of said dock.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-06-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
I love this topic....
In my opinion there are two factors: Skills and considerataion for others.

The quick launch / retrieve is a learned skill. Those that are considerate to other people are those that choose to learn the skill. The only way to learn it is to do it over and over. My wife and I have it down. We back, launch (or retrieve), and get off the ramp before most people can just back down. We take care of all our prep activities up in the parking lot away from the flow of traffic.

I give a lot of credit to the solo launch / retrieve guy that is hustling from the truck to the boat to the dock and back to the truck. Even if it takes a bit longer, the fact that he / she is hustling shows respect for the others waiting on the ramp. It's usually easy to tell the folks that are working to get off the ramp as fast as they can. Even if these people are learning and taking a bit longer, that's fine.}

it's equally easy to tell the dumba$$ people that think the ramp is their own world and it's there for them to load coolers, prep the boat / trailer, and talk about the days events without any consideration for the others waiting. To me this is just a lack of respect. Give these dumba$$ people the skills and they would still burn daylight on the ramps and docks because they have no consideration for others.

Skillful and considerate people on the ramp...???? What's next? No power-turning? Boaters keeping their distance from other boaters? Tubers staying out of the glassy coves? All guests pitching in for gas?....Yes, it would be one crazy world out there.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-06-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Nicely put Steve.....
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
You forgot to mention the dumbasses that start getting the boat ready on the launcher (putting up bimini, unstrapping, putting people in the boat)

I have solo launched my boat a few times, and I always make sure to take it back to the furthest point of the dock then hustle back to my truck, park it and hustle back to the boat and get it out of there.. same when getting it back on the trailer..

Other than that, my wife is good at backing me into the water and I will just cruise around and not tie up the doc while she parks the truck.

I just cant stand when people want to have a family get togethers on the docks..
Old    pdxboarder86            07-06-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
How about people that are line up on the dock fishing? Then when you approach the dock they act like "Hey what you doing I have my line in the water." Somedays there are so many people fishing that there isn't any room for a boat.

Shane I guess my approach is to always try to be as polite as possible in an activity such as boating. Being stern some might take as rude and it does no good to ruin someone's day when all boaters should look out for each other. I understand you getting perturbed at idiots like most of us will but usually throwing out obscenities only leads to more problems. If I see someone having problems or taking time I just offer to lend a hand and that usually gets them moving or sometimes they will jump out of their car and say "Please back this down for me."
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
I also have to do the solo thing when just with my kids but am always ready with the my pre-launch activities and move as quickly as possible.

I know many of you have been to Anderson Lake in the south bay and i tell you what, I have never seen as many cluster F--ks as you see there on a busy day. I can't count the number of people I have helped or seen being helped backing down their new 60k boat with their new 60k Danali and not be able to figure how to get the boat of the trailer. I always try to offer help to those you will take it.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-06-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
JTW,

I think we saw you guys at In and out maybe 2 Teusdays ago after Anderson..
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
Isaac-
My last trip to Anderson was on June 16th. Did go to IN an Out on the 16th. Wife and 3 kids in tow.
Old    vanski            07-06-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
Remember a bad day on the water is worth any good day at work. Have fun and relax. If it pisses you off that much...go punch out the person and imagine how worse your day can get. You can either be helpful and offer suggestions or just be a part of the problem. Some will never learn, but for the most part people out there just don't know right from wrong. It just needs to be taught, and the suggestion offered in a polite way. Help out and possibly threads like this won't pop up as often.
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-06-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
brad, "stern" means the back of the boat. it's the opposite of "bow". shane whips the back of his boat around at the end of the dock to let his driver off. this way, he doesn't take up space at the dock.

did i understand you right, shane?
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-06-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
brad- you raise another good point, although in the neighborhood of my launch I try to keep my mouth shut as I am afraid a gun will get pulled on me or something (those that have launched at Rainier Beach in Seattle, I think can know what I mean). We came in after watching fireworks on the 4th and dumbass kids were shooting roman candles at eachother over peoples trucks in the lot. I was ready to see someone jump out of their truck and give a beat down!

I don't mind if people are learning to back a trailer up, but the part that really bugs me is just taking up the dock space. I think it should be pretty general to teach atleast one person on the boat to drive it at idle speed. I taught my ex to drive the first time I had her on the boat, it's something everyone needs to know if they will be on the boat. Plus it helps others get in and out quicker.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-06-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
yes jon you are correct, I never actually stop at public, unless i paying for gas. Fast, efficient,courteous. FTR, i did not start confrontation, the imbecile in question started a obscenity laced tirade at my GF and she responded in kind. Hey if they want to take up the dock for 10 minutes, they become the dock.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-06-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
I was out on the 4th and was counting the people doing power turns and watching to see what people did when there riders fell....I was amazed at how many people whip the baot around at full throttle like its a freaking race.....the lake was so choppy I felt like we were in the middle of the ocean in a storm
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-06-2006, 6:26 PM Reply   
A busy boat launch is almost a spectator sport. I am absolutley amazed how a single truck and trailer can clog a ramp that will easily handle six. Also, it never ceases to amaze me that only a handful of folks have actually learned to use their mirrors to back up!!!
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
when we bought our boat, both me and my dad were pretty slow at the whole launching/putting the boat on the trailer thing
but we decided to not be like that for very long, and wanted to get better. so what we did was we went to the ramp around 6pm, when hardly any1 was there, and practiced driving the truck and boat on and off the trailer.
BEST DECISION WE EVER MADE!(except buying the boat ofcourse!!!)
if everyone who owned a boat did that, there would be no point in this thread!!
just that 20 minute practice helped a heck of alot and we are now way faster at launching and getting the boat out of the water!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2006, 1:54 AM Reply   
Shane that sounds like something I would do. I sat and watched a guy try to get his boat on the trailer for about 15-20 minutes one time while the line behind me grew. There is absolutely NO excuse to take more then 5 minutes to get your boat in the water or out! If your boat doesnt go on the trailer right the second time then your NOT doing it right, you need practice. If you cant back it down in 2 tries you need practice. If you forgot the drain plug or straps you need practice. Even if your boat is broke and it wont start, if you sit there blocking the lane for more then 5 minutes, you need practice! I am lucky most of the time as I usually go out after the crowd and come in after the crowd.
Im curious how others ramps work, one with trailer in line gets ramp first(thats how it is round here) or boat pulls up to dock, blocking dock while billy looks for keys, cell, shoes, hat, etc to then go look where cindy-lou parked the family truckster? Where I put in there are other docks you can pull the front of the boat to and allow the driver to disembark for the suv. I can see this not being practical at some marinas but think this allows the one at the dock to dilly-dally as long as their poor manners allow them to. Maybe i'm old school but someone LONG ago taught me the do's and donts of boating as well as proper etiquette. I dont think a dealer should release a boat, used or new, to a buyer without at least a quick lesson. Isnt it just another case of people not being responsible/considerate again?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-07-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
"There is absolutely NO excuse to take more then 5 minutes to get your boat in the water or out!"

In ideal circumstances. On a poor weather day, it can take a little longer sometimes.

"If you forgot the drain plug or straps you need practice."

Anyone can make a mental mistake, Bob. Just because you forgot something small doesn't neccessarily mean you need practice. I've been dropping and retrieveing boats for years but a few weeks ago I had to put the drain plug in on the ramp because I forgot during my pre-launch prep. I'm just glad I remembered before we got in the water.

"Even if your boat is broke and it wont start, if you sit there blocking the lane for more then 5 minutes, you need practice!"

Or you need some muffs so you can run your boat at home and solve any starting issues BEFORE you get to the ramp. It amamzes me how many people in early spring drive their boat all the way to the ramp only to find out there's something wrong with the boat. I start my boat up in my driveway every time before I go out. Not only does it save me a trip if something's wrong but it makes it easier to start the boat on the ramp since the engine is usually still a little warm by the time I get to the lake.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-07-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
5 minutes is forever. I actually used to time how fast we could do it. Record was 1 minute and 8 seconds, me and the chica always did it under 2 minutes, weather or not.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-07-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
I gotta agree....5 min is forever. We probably never spend more than 2min on the ramp.

This was returning to the ramp on 4th of July at 11am (just went out for a few early sets):
We pass a guy in heading out and give a friendly wave. A few seconds later we notice he had turned around and was coming past us at ~10mph (in a NWZ). He yelled as he went past that he'd forgotten his plug. We chuckle and watch as he pulls to the dock, flips the bilge on, gets out and runs to his truck (guess it was in the truck). We decide to wait since there are two jetskis and a deckboat already tied up.

I see this is going to be a traffic jam since there are two other boats on there way in also so I nose in on the dock and drop a my brother off to get the trailer.

In the meantime, a husband/wife are launching their i/o w/3 dogs. Husband backs down, ties up the bow and starts to walk the boat back on the dock (instead of idling away from the dock). Wife jumps in the truck to pull the trailer out cuts the corner and jumps the trailer over the 8" curb. As husband is walking the boat down the dock when one of the little doggies sees mommy drive off, jumps out of the bow onto the dock and chases after the truck. Husband leaves the boat (not tied up) and other dogs in the boat and chases after the one that jumped out.

Guy without the plug finally comes back with the trailer and proceeds to pull the boat out. He motors up on the trailer and hooks up; pulls the boat just out of the water and stops. Gets out of the truck and proceeds to sit there watching the water drain from his boat......because the lake really needed that 20 gallons of water in the bilge. This @ 11am on July 4th with only 2 ramps and people waiting on both sides to get out/in.

Finally I get impatient and wave my brother over to the other ramp where the doggie boat is floating. He's kinda in the way, but my brother backs the trailer in on an angle, I motor on and out we go. When we left the guy was still blocking the ramp.