Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-26-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
I was wondering what is the difference between the Indmars and the Mercs, Is there an power or perform,ance advantage, any upkeep differences??
Old    neilm            01-26-2004, 9:26 PM Reply   
Will, you're asking a 'Ford vs. GM' type of question.... You will get as many different opinions as there are people out there. I look at it this way -- there isn't a bad choice.. it really boils down to what works out to be the best deal for you. The biggest advantage Merc has is that there are Merc dealers / servicers everywhere..
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
$500 rebate on Mercruiser if you buy before March 31!!!
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-27-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
I would say it is more like what is the difference between a chevy and a gmc. They all start with the same block, a GM Vortec 5.7L with heads, intake, and fuel injection w/ electronics. If I understand or have been told correctly, each mfgr adds exhaust manifolds, starter, alt, water pump, fuel pump, and tweaks or programs the control module for fuel injection, if so equiped. And with those minor differences you get hp ratings that vary from 315 to 340 from the same engine.

GM does sell the blocks in various versions with different fuel injection- throttle body or multi-port, and with different heads- hence the closed loop cooling with the aluminum heads. There may be another difference or two on specific models, but overall it is minor. One interesting things that I saw on the new engines that Tige is offering called "GM Vortec" and put together by Marine Power- they mount the starter in a different position (on top of bell housing instead of on the bottom), use dual oil filters and alt. belts to help prevent you from being stranded.

But overall the biggest difference between mfgrs. is the plastic cover over the intake.