Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-12-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
After a long conference call with the Captain of the U.S. Coast Guard, Sergeant's of the San Joaquin County Sheriffs Department, County of Code Enforcement office and the District Attorneys office, Our Event on June 16th is possibly going to have the permits rescinded. Due to the un-permitted event thrown on Memorial Weekend "Get Loose Part III" all future events at this location are in jeopardy. We were informed of this action this morning (actually late last night) but confirmed in conversation this morning that we are pending further review.
The event on memorial weekend was thought by the Sheriffs department to have been hosted by Delta Riders Association and thus pre empted the reconsideration of our permits. The un-safe conduct, accidents/injuries, and out of control parting might just have ruined all events at this location.

Currently we are trying to land a back up location and transfer permits and insurances to make it happen I will keep all riders informed as I get info.
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-12-2007, 4:37 PM Reply   
I hope everything works out. I was really looking forward to checking our my first DRA event.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-12-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
I was curious how Josh smith's deal could go on without permits and I guess it would be hard to believe the UP mgt didn't know anything about it.

We drove by UP on our way home from Stockton last Saturday and there were 2 Sheriffs and a coast guard boat there checking eveyone out. I don't remember ever seeing that kind of attention there before, but the kids that sunk that boat on Vic had all been drinking at UP the day of that last event. If the Authorities think they've got another Lost Isle on their hands it won't bode well for having anything go on there ever.

I'm sure as far as the sheriff/coast guard's concerned the Delta is for boating only and anything over and above that will be tolerated only if they feel it's in their best interest to let it go on. Whether we all agree with that stance or not doesn't matter to them.
Old    mendo247            06-12-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Thats really a bummer! Your events are always FIRST CLASS, its sad to see a crazy arse party ruin something totally unrelated thats actually helping out the comunity and giving young people positive things to do..Good luck guys, i hope it all works out....
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-12-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
Seems like everyone is looking at wakeboard events in the State, due to excessive drinking and associated problems. Boardstock almost could not find a venue to have that event due to the same issue.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-12-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
Better news so far. San Joaquin County Sheriff's have reissue our permit under certain conditions. We should get the ok from the Coast Guard on Wed. We will keep everyone in the loop as to what happens, so far Sat looks to be a go.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2007, 11:05 PM Reply   
Hope it all works out.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
Just got off the phone with the Coast Guard and Everything is a solid go for our event. Word of Caution to those who like to use events as some place to party with out self control there will be a Heavy Sheriff and Coast guard presence so if you are disruptive or in violation of boating laws you will be sited. Other than that it will be a typical DRA event with lots to give away and great riding to be seen.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-13-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
Awesome....

Glad to hear it. CIE will be in the house. Looking forward to seeing everybody out there.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-13-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
That's great news Gary, let me be the first to thank you for your effort in not only creating this series but sticking with it in the face of challenges like this!
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-13-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Sounds Great,

Also for all attending lets show the authorities what DRA is all about and make it a great, clean event that promotes all that is good with wakeboarding.

Sorry can't make this one, have fun everyone and be safe too!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-13-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
Good job Gary!

Based on what I've seen in the past, for those of us family loving law abiding folks, an increased presence by the authorities is very much welcome.

Thanks for your hard work on behalf of the wakeboarding community,
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-13-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
Way to go gary I will see you this afternoon
Old     (luvnthedelta)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-13-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
I am glad that DRA will be able to have their event as scheduled.

It is just a shame that someone like, Josh Smith, who many young people consider a role model and look up to and has been in the wakeboard world/industry for so long and has now made it so hard to have events in our backyard. These events give the youth of the wakeboard world a chance to compete and keeps it alive. DRA is trying to provide a place for everyone to compete and have fun. With the actions that resulted from the event that Josh Smith put on at Union Point, it seems that DRA is now having to jump through hoops. Which is very sad. I hope that all authorities that will be at the event will see that DRA and Josh Smith are in two different groups.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-13-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
In all fairness I do not want to throw Josh Smith under the bus as the guy responsible for the problem. Josh is a amazing wake boarder and has represented the Delta area with undeniable style. While he did have some thing to do with the wakeboard demo he is not directly responsible for the problem. In all the guys responsible for the issue is "Bruce Bruce Productions" and the rest of the affiliates that organized the event. Union Point also holds blame for letting it happen and caving to the pressure of the event without permits in place.
I understand the pressure from promoting an event and everyone is expecting it to happen and LOTS of money is to be lost in preparation for the event to then have to cancel due to county red tape. I had to do this for the last event, and to have the rest of DRA season hindering on the Memorial Day event does leave a bad taste in my mouth.
We move on, Our event will happen and the future events will happen, The key is you the wakeboarding community representing yourselves in the light you should. Parting is great and acceptable but limits must be respected and respect for other around you must be considered.

Please see the events page for Registration info and starting times.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-13-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Props to DRA,

All of us in the Nor*Cal region should realize how very lucky we are to have such an awesome & expanding grassroots movement over the years. I would like to thank all of the people behind these organazations DRA,INT,CIE,WSC just to name a few who invest countless hours & energy to allow us to participate from both a spectator & competitor perspective. It's not just a sport, it's a lifestyle - lets ride!!!

Upload

Lzy
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
Good deal, im glad everything panned out. Looking forward to seeing you all out there! DOUG! thats a shame you cant make it bro, Hope to see you soon though and go riding
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
Gary has busted his tail to get this thing worked out - so mad props to him. As a guy that has been running grassroots events in Norcal for over 12 years, I can tell you how hard it is and its nice to have others help. We do everything we can to provide a safe, kid-friendly(as best we can), and fun series. There will always be haters and always be people that are just there to party. What we can do as a wakeboarding community is to try to help out the events by getting involved and downplaying the craziness. We can always use more people, money, sponsors,etc.. So if you have an desire to keep these things around, call DRA or CIE and get invovled. The better the events are in our area, the better the riders, the more money and the list goes on.

Looking forward to see you all Saturday!

Long Live DRA...
Old     (h20diva)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
I am amazed at how many people support DRA, that in itself deserves a HUGE applause and thanks!

However, it's shocking to me how events like Memorial Day Weekend can happen, and cheeks are turned - how does that work? But yet we are jumping threw tons of loops to get through the red tape because of it. We are trying everything in our power to continue on with this, but like Buffalow said, we need more people, money and sponsors. So if there's anyone that wants to volunteer or sponsor us, please contact me at 925-525-8726 or Gary at 925.270.8732.
Old    walt            06-14-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   

quote:

I am amazed at how many people support DRA

Well you shouldn't be. You guys do a great job so it's no surprise to me.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-15-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
What time is the first rider off the dock?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-15-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
Props to DRA the best events on the delta by far put on by amazing people. Can't wait till I get to ride with you guys again. Unfortunately I'll be rebuilding a dock on saturday and won't be able to make the event. I'm hoping to ride in the next one. Have fun and be safe.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-15-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
First rider off the dock hopefully by 9:30am.

David: Have fun building that dock - hopefully it won't be 100 degrees. Can't wait to hook up and camp with you guys again...