Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (hyperlite1622)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2005, 7:48 PM Reply   
K i saw a guy wearin a helmet on the river the other day and it ended up bein a buddy of mine but does nayone now where i could get a cheap helmet that protects and looks good because he told me that everytime he went out that he was gettin a concusion. if anyone has any help please let me know
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-27-2005, 7:50 AM Reply   
Recently bought a helmet from Ski Pro, Phoenix (Shapiro model, not sure of the manufacturer). Was on special from $60 to about $35.

Went to Lake Powell last weekend, everyone was taking the p1ss saying it looked stupid but by the end of the weekend everyone was using it. It made crashing so much more comfortable (or should that be so much less uncomfortable?!). Definitely a good investment, your local shop should have end of season specials I would have thought.

Pete
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2005, 11:40 PM Reply   
Pete...the Shapiro model is made by Pro tec and they make a good helmet...

1622...Shred Ready also makes a good helmet. Both come with removable ear flaps (don't remove them ) and are very comfortable. I have one of each brand. Keeping the ear flaps in helps with ear drum ruptures as does wearing ear plugs. Kudos for wearing one inspite of your buddies....you will be the one without headaches, concussions, and ruptured eardrums. Believe it or not repeated concussions can cause death.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-28-2005, 12:30 AM Reply   
i also ride with the protec shapiro (ace wake) model. i love it. i used to ride with a cheaper one (that the lining fell out of), but the protec is much nicer.

i'm a great believer in helmets. they've greatly reduced my neck and head soreness from whiplash crashes.
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-28-2005, 3:59 AM Reply   
How about this?

English helmet...
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2005, 1:51 PM Reply   
That is great!!! I think you could start a new line in helmets.
Old    shredder69            09-28-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
chekc out shred ready helmets. Ricky G wears one, made by kayakers, wakeboaders and snowboarders.
check out the HOG system, its the shizzle
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-28-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
i paid 30 for my protech..so far i love it and have had NO problems with it at all...
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
Hey Tom....I love my shred ready helmet. Great product. I would like to see more local shops carry them. AND I would like to see more people wear them. They don't have any idea how much your noggin is protected. I would like to see a more variety of colors in the girls model.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
Is Kolibri a swiss wakeboard boat?? Do you guys have Nautique, Master craft, or Malibu? Just curious. The lake and scenery on your web page looks beautiful.
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-29-2005, 12:38 AM Reply   
Hi SoCal, Kolibri is the boats name. Actually it's Nordic 1610 from Canada. Of course we do have lot's of wakeboardboats of all known brands over here too, but they are extremly expensive. At least 20-35% higher prices as in the US! On top of that taxes, insurances, dockplaces and stuff are expensive as well! So we run affordable OB-16 footer bowriders... Switzerland has beatiful mountains AND beatiful lakes too... our spot is the lake of Zürich. The wake-season runs from april to october. Sometimes the lake freezes in wintertimes... and in the summer it's pretty crowdy out there but monday trough friday mornigs it's our boarderparadise... greatings from switzerland andy
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-29-2005, 2:33 PM Reply   
What model do you have Tom? They look like good helmets.
Old    shredder69            09-29-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
I wear what ever is laying around. usually a super scrappy wakeboarding, sometimes a shaggy. If i am creeking I am wearing a FMJ.

tom
Old    shredder69            09-29-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
Hey SoCal, I would like to see them in more pro shops as well. we are well represented in the kayak world, just getting to the wake world and this winter to the snow world.

did you check out the new colors? five for 06
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-29-2005, 11:43 PM Reply   
Tom...Right on....have to check it out. I have never had a more comfortable helmet. Can i wear my helmet snowboarding?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-29-2005, 11:46 PM Reply   
Andy...I can only imagine. Thanks for the info on your country.
Old    wakelurker            09-30-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
dont laugh at this question

i have always sort of thought helments were lame, but after seeing the injury photos, i am giving it a second thought. i was wondering if a wakeboarding helmet and a bicycling helment were essentially the same-- Could I use one for the other?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
that's a great question Victoria....I have wondered that myself but never took the time to find out. Maybe shredder can answer that question????
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-01-2005, 4:15 AM Reply   
Hi Victoria, my real wakeboard-helmet has ear protections. I suppose bicycle helmets have a bigger shape and more foamcushions inside due to the fact pavements are harder than water. the bigger size CUOLD be negative when crashing into the water, it has a bigger resistence and could be negative. I learned in my experiences that it's always best to use the right tools for the job you are doing, so your best protection and comfort will result from using a wakeboard helmet on the water. take your time choose the best to fit. even the price should be on second place. spending 20$ more or being injured, is no question at all... ride safely and have tons of fun!
Old    wakelurker            10-01-2005, 9:18 PM Reply   
yeah, i was wondering if a wakeboarding helment could be worn while trailriding, you know? and get the same protection. i anticipate falling a bunch, and I don't want to break my head open on a rock. I was thinking it would be nice if i only had to buy one helment. Any ideas?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-01-2005, 10:53 PM Reply   
trailriding?? you mean horses? or bikes?? I think Andy has a good point. Use the correct tool for the job. That way you will feel secure mentally and not worry about it. But I guess any helmet is better than no helmet.
Old    wakelurker            10-01-2005, 11:15 PM Reply   
no, bike riding- yeah, andy has a great point, just trying to save some cash. i just had a ton of work done on my cannondale, and it was sort of expensive. just trying to save a few bucks so i can you know, party and travel!
Old    shredder69            10-04-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
no i would not use a bike helmet for wakeboarding, EPS the material they are made of will soak up water after a while. Stick with a helmet with a hard shell and closecell foam , VN or EPP. and ear flaps ofcousre, preferrable with waterproof head phones like ours.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-04-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
Hey shredder.....love the purple Vixen. I have the blue but girls need bright colors too!! How about a bright glittery blue, pink or purple??
Old    shredder69            10-05-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
hey socal, can we use your photo on our website?
email me at tom@shredready.com
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-05-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
Tom,
Do any of your helmets come with ear flaps and do you see any ear flaps without the waterproof headphones? I can't really see anytime I would need headphones for wakeboarding and don't want the cord hanging down. Thanks.
Andrew
Old    shredder69            10-05-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
all our helmets come standard with removable ear flaps excetp the Full Mental, and Kudzu. the waterproof headphone earflaps are a add on.
the standard earflaps are made of compression molded foam.
so the helmets that come with earflaps are

Shaggy, Vixen, Sherlock, Superscrappy, AHM and AHM Jr and the new Phly, will be in this winter.

Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-05-2005, 8:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for that clarification.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-05-2005, 11:39 PM Reply   
For those interested in learning more about helmets use the search feature. There are probably 15 different threads on this topic. SEARCH Then type in "helmet" "Look in" set to "subject lines" then under "Search Topic" choose "wakeboarding discussion archives".

Now sit back and read thread after thread full of good and bad information.
Old    shredder69            10-06-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Hey Peter, thanks for the seach function.
BTW: the arguement against helmets for wakeboarding was that the helmet increased the surface area of the head there by creating a bigger impact?
the one person argument was that the head hitting the inside of the brain causes the head injury which is true, but somehow this was different for water versus a solid object.
Helmets work by declerating the head to a speed that "death" does not occur.
The foam slows the head down to a reasonable speed.
I don't quite get how water at 20 mph or concrete at 8 mph is different. both are pretty damn solid. Helmet functions the same weather hitting hard water or hard concrete.