Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
so my girlfriend is really concerned another knee that she has had redone twice now. Has anyone actually hurt themselves wakesurfing? If so of if you have thoughts please let me know.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
i have only heard of arm/shoulder inujuries from catching your arm in the handle on a crash.
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-21-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
What surgery did she have? I surf with a torn ACL, most of the time without a brace because it usually just comes loose anyway. I had it reconstructed last summer and tore it again this April wakeboarding. That is when I took up surfing. My knee pops a little bit but it hasn't really given out yet.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-21-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ok I tore the ACL and had it replaced with a graft from the hamstring, I have 4 screws in the knee
The menescus cartalige on the inside of my knee is torn, they took out a big chunk, and I also tore part of it out on the back right side of the knee so that knee doesn't have much stability on side to side activities. My 5th injury on it and 2nd surgery.....

SO.... what do your peeps think of that?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-21-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
Blew my rt knee a few years ago patella tendon rupture and it aches all the time but wake sufing barely effects it. I love to surf getting pretty darn good at it
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-22-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
My mom who is 59 tore all the ligaments in her leg years ago (not surfing) and still has knee problems. We got her up last weekend and she said her knee was fine. No injuries on our boat yet.
Old     (lambertn)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-22-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
My father also surfs with a torn ACL sans brace. I think the only real danger you have to watch is the rope. Since you are going slow, there is more time to react and protect old injuries. Most 'falls' you just lose the surf, and you won't get whipped for catching an edge.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
I also have a repaired knee from a torn ACL wakeboarding. Have been doing mostly wakesurfing these days. Had my surgery Oct 05. I think your knees are pretty safe with wakesurfing.

I agree that the most dangerous thing is getting your arm caught in the handle. My nephew fell back the other day and did just that. Left a big bruise on his tricep other than that he's fine. Could have been nasty though. I would definately recommend getting a surf rope (T handle)which will pretty much eliminate this risk.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-22-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
how about having all of your meniscus removed at the age of 19. Been bone on bone in both knees since 35. 20 years later at 55 wakesurfing allow me to ride and compete. See you at the Worlds at Clear Lake.
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-08-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
I tore my bicep off tendon off the bone earlier this season still in recovery from the surgery. I think it had every thig to do with the handless rope we were using.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-09-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
My wakesurf board hit me in the head, other than that, no.
Old    buttskimmer            08-09-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
Almost tore the end of my finger off. Be carefull of the wakeboat ropes. They can easily wrap around your finger as you fall if you still hanging on to the handle.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
we convinced my wife to go and that it couldn't hurt her in any way shape or form. so she tried, and fell, but she fell forward, and the board went under and popped back up and caught her just above the eye. 4 stitches later, and she will never try it again.kinda sucked glad it wasn't 1/4" lower, she could be blind.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Wow, I'm impressed Dennis and that gives me hope. My knees are obliterated from 14 years of snowboarding.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-11-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Sean,
I had given up water sports in fact all sports except golf until I found wakesurfing. Now I am thinking about surfing in the ocean again. If only I could tow in small beach breaks. LOL
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
My wife broke her nose last season. It was one of those freak accidents. She took a funny fall, and the board shot straight up, then straight down. Right across the bridge of her nose. With in two hours, she had two shiners that anyone would be proud of. Needless to say, after holding some ICE COLD Silver Bullets across her face for a while, she was back in the water the very next morning. SMILING. What a trooper!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-12-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
My Landlock hit me in the face 2 years ago. The edge of the board cut above my nose and above my eye. The Dr. used glue to seal the cuts. I also got a black eye from that incident.
Last Sunday my Phase Five Prop hit my shin and left a cut and a bump but surfing is well worth the few injuries that I have received from it.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Compared to what can happen wakeboarding, surfing is a sport safe enough for the sick and elderly. I love how low impact it is...
Old    jeff25            09-15-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
What is it about women getting hit in the head/face with surfboards, I've been with two girls who were hit pretty hard ocean surfing, but I can't think of a guy I know who ever has. Seems like people with a lot of board sports experience may reflexively cover up when they feel like a board will be flying loose. I wonder if there's anything you can say to a novice about it that would do any good?
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
My wife was also hit in the back of the head while surfing. After watching her take a few falls I have noticed that other female riders do this too. They try to keep their heads above water when they fall making it easier to get struck. After seeing this, I try to stay under just long enough for the board to pass by.
Old    surfdad            09-15-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
LOL! Hairdresser's magic. Judy does the same thing but always says - I pay GOOD MONEY for this hair, I'm not getting it wet! :-)

I wonder why I've never been hit in the head with a board? :-)

Upload