Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (wakebum8488)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-26-2006, 9:45 AM Reply   
i was looking at some of the j-star products and alot of their stuff looks like old hyperlite stuff. like the empire board looks like a parks board and the insight boot looks exactly like the old high backs or 3ds, plus their foot beds look extremely similar to the old hyperlite ones. does any one else see this resembelance or am i just a complete idiot?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-26-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Empire is a 3DS to me- And yes, HO was related to JStar but I believe the O'briens held onto the line. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-26-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
They are all owned by the same guy Bob Archer. He also owns CWB and a few others. J-star & Hyperlite shared the same mfgrs for certain products. The Empire is not a Parks board, it is Rusty Malinoski's board that is more based on the 3DS than a Parks board.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-26-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
Actually the O'briens still own J-star and Jobe. Archer does not own CWB and he only owns a portion of Motion watersports(Liquid Force, Obrien, Blindside and Double up)
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-26-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure Bob Archer owns controlling intrest in CWB and Obrien, just as he did with HO.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-27-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
You are right Randy, he does.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-27-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Herb O'brien owns Radar, Ronix, J-Star and Jobe. He did own HO, and then 50% of HO with Bob Archer. Since Herb designed the HO line and arranged for its production, it is not suprising to have similarities and sometimes identical designs. They may even share the same production factory. There is no reason to re-invent the wheel.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-27-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
"There is no reason to re-invent the wheel."... So very true! By the way, thanks so much for the killer deal on my new Acme prop Karl!