Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
I have about 4 episodes of video I have to post, I have been behind for various reasons. And one of those videos is the most recent session of Jesse trying to wakesurf. She can stand up for about 2 seconds, the goal is 5 and she gets a doll she wants. Here is a video frame grab.

jesse

I am posting this before I am done with the video, because I am beside myself with excitement, and I can't help but share. As many of you know, Jesse is very special to me and my family. She was born with many issues due to her being addicted to meth in the womb. We adopted her at just a few weeks old, and we were told she may never even walk or talk. She has blown away all of our expectations, she is wonderful, and smart, but she has to wear these splints on her legs. They are like plastic removable casts from the knee down. They are very painful and she must wear them from bed up until bed down. Sometimes she comes crying to me, asking if she can take them off, but I don't let her. If she doesn't keep them on, her legs can grow permanently incorrect, and I don't want that to happen. She is supposed to wear these until she stops growing, sometime around 18.

She went to the doctor's today, which is a major deal, Shriners in Sacramento, and they said she can take them off, check back in a year. I can't believe it. We are going to meet as a family in Chico as Amy brings her home to buy her her first pair(s) of real shoes and go out to eat to celebrate. I am so happy for my little Chocolate Leprechaun.

I guess those episodes will have to wait another day or two. We gotta celebrate.

(Message edited by ragboy on October 05, 2009)
Old    surfdad            10-05-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Truly heart-warming. Congratulations to Jesse! Such wonderful news, I can only imagine how thrilled the entire clan must be.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-05-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
So awesome. I will never look at shoes the same way again. My daughter recommends Skechers and Heely's.

Tell Jesse congrats from the Wilseys please.
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-05-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Great News! That is so Awesome! You have so much to look forward to.

Here is what they said about my sister-in-law Giana Jessen

http://www.giannajessen.com/EPK/bio.html

If Jesse is anything like Giana, which is sounds like she is, she will be ripping the wake in no time.

Congrats to her and to you and your family.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       10-05-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
Great news all around Robert. I know that this is a family effort and congratulations to them all.
Old    surfdad            10-05-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Wow - reading that link about Gianna and the story that Robert conveyed is so humbling. I can't even imagine the challenges overcome by both Jesse and Gianna...certainly puts a different perspective on whatever is bugging in your life at present. Even more, is the love and compassion demonstrated by the adoptive families. Thanks guys for sharing both of those stories and reminding us of the depth of the human spirit both to overcome and love.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-05-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
GOOD LUCK JESSE!!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
@clay

Thanks for the link. I see so many people raise their challenged kids with kit gloves, not to say that is wrong, but I don't subscribe to that. I have always pushed Jesse harder and I think it has paid off for her. The jouney is not complete but our expectations have already been far exceeded. It seems like Giana also just looks at it like a greater challenge. Its amazing what can be done with Love and Support, and throw in a great family activity like Wakesurfing. ;-)
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-05-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
Robert,

You are a very special person, and Jesse is a very lucky girl to have some one like yourself looking after her. Words can not describe how I feel.....truly touching.
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-05-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
So awesome to hear that Robert. You guys truly deserve some great news like that! All that you do for ALL your kids is just amazing. Congrats to all your family and especially Jesse!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-06-2009, 5:55 AM Reply   
congratulations robert to jesse and your entire family .... she is a very special little girl with a very special family .... she is such a treasure and she was always nothing but smiles when we were with her!!!!!!
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-06-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
That's something special.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-06-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
Congrats, stories like this are truly inspiring. And we need more people like you in this world Robert!!!!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-06-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Congrats, stories like this are truly inspiring. And we need more people like you in this world Robert!!!!
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-06-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Wheres the pictures of the shoes?

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-06-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-06-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
woah sorry about the mult posts
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for the nice words. Here is a video of Jesse's latest wakesurf attempts, and her new shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOySTgKxZ-c&hd=1
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-06-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
Wow that is awesome. Robert we adopted my son when he was 7, from the state. His mother was a crack hoe. He is now 19 and been doing great. Almost ready to go in the Airforce. I can truely feel your excitment. Good luck to Jesse! she is definitley with a loving family. She is blessed to have all of you and vise versa. This post sure made me feel warm all over! God Bless all of you!by the way I had a chance to meet her at lake Sam. this year. She is a sweetheart.
Old     (wksurfgrl)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-06-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Jesse you are awesome!! Congratulations on your new shoes! My daughter Hailey (3.5) who you ate marshmallows with at the Lake Sammamish competition, loved watching you surf! She said, "I hope I can surf like Jesse" You Go Girl!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-06-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
I love to hear that. I will tell Jesse. We have tried many methods, like starting her from the side of the boat standing up, but what you see in the video seems to work best. She will get it soon. Since she always wore those splints she has been a bit weak in her ankles when it comes to balance. I am hoping she gets the 5 count before the rains really hit. We may only have this week left.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-06-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
This is so cool!
Tell Jesse that Gunz and Katelyn wish her the best!
It's only a matter of time before Jesse will be giving all the kids a run for their money!
We hope to get the chance to watch her tear it up in person next year.