Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-03-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
Question for all you boat owners who use storage bays or leave your boats in a slip. What would you think of an alarm system for your boat that would have self contained power, meaning it would require no power from your boats battery, and would notify you via text or email if a motion sensor were tripped. The only thing that would be required is a cell signal? I have the chance to market this product, but don't know if there is the demand. What do you think
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2007, 11:07 PM Reply   
i think u should go for it there were quite a few post earlier this summer about boat alarms and the best ones, if i left mine in a slip i would buy it.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-04-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
i would buy it too
Old     (luvsanger)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-04-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
I also would buy it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Yep, let us know where to find it.
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-04-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
I'd want to know more but would at least be interested in doing the homework on it...
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-05-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
Cannot remember who, but one of the larger security manufactures allready makes one.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-11-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
Yes, you can purchase such a thing. Not sure about them being self contained power wise though. How would you do that?

The biggest drawback is that the alarm needs a cell phone, which is a monthly charge.

As far as the theft deterant:

Silent alarms are based on the concept that someone will be responding before the thief has a chance to escape. If the alarm called a monitoring company, which in turn called the police, that might work. If the alarm called you it would only help if you could get to the boat in a matter of minutes, AND you answered the phone when it rang.

If the thief knew that the cell phone link was there he might be able to defeat it. If the cell phone isn't drawing power then it must not be on, which means it does not have a link to the nearest cell tower. So the alarm would trip, the cell phone would power up, find a network, then start to dial. On my cell phone that process can take a minute or more. If the thief can get to the cell phone in that amount of time the call will be blocked.

IF you could get the cell phone to take a bunch of pictures and send them to you that might be a good thing.

Rod
Old     (nriched)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-12-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
A company called Silvertip Marine makes such an alarm. We are about to install one in an X-80. Some nice features like floor pad sensors, closed loop sensors(for the cover), bilge sensor, and the standard hatch pins and ignition kill. It will notify you via e-mail,or cell.