Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (merrion13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-15-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
I've got a question for any of you out there with experience on the Great Lakes. My bro and I will be attending the Chicago Boat Show this weekend and looking around at wakeboard boats. We would be using it on Lake Michigan, where it can be surprisingly calm, but there are times when you can find yourself caught in a "small boat advisory", which gives us swells of 1-3 feet. What size wakeboat would people deem sufficient for those types of conditions? I'm guessing 23'? All advice/input welcome.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-15-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
....I live on lake ontario......and fish on that lake alot in my 17.5 crestliner........driving in these waters is more about how you drive and the height of the gunnel. so the deeper the boat the better. Having said that waves can get much higher than 3 feet...I have been out when I cant see above the wave.....but in those conditions the waves are far apart and the boat rides between them....but you still better be experienced. Having said all that....i would never purposely go out on a great lake with any wind much over 10kmH unless its blowing offshore. If wakeboarding obviously you are only going out in near windless conditions.......but I would always stay close to your harbour etc......if you think or know the wind is going to pick up. In any event I dont think a 23 foot is necessary but obviously the bigger and deeper in the end will feel safer....but not necessary in my opinion......
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-15-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
Check on the MasterCraft X-35, the MasterCraft dealer should have one on display. It's an all new 23 wakeboat that has deeper gunnels and will have a sweet ride in some rougher conditions.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-15-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
I've had my 21'8" Sanger out in 3' swells and it was good. Having the adjustable wake plate helped get the attitude of the boat matched to the speed and the wave spacing. It doesn't have a great deal of freeboard but that wasn't a problem. Lake Michigan can get much rougher than what I was in though. Like michael z said it matters a great deal how you drive. Having more freeboard is a good thing in storms. Especially if you have a mechanical problem. You might also consider a bow cover to put on if it starts to get rough.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-15-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Tige is worth a look - 24Ve 24' / 102" beam / 4200#'s. Very deep free-board, comfortable seating, smooth ride in rough and choppy water, Seats 16, lots of storage.
Old     (merrion13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-15-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys. I've driven a lot of boats on Lake Michigan, the smallest being my buddy's 22'6" Cobalt, but that boat's hull is much deeper than what I see on a proper wakeboarding boat. When we ride, we head out of Diversey Harbor and head north, hugging the shoreline the whole time since that is where its smoothest. But sometimes storms come up fast and that's what I would like to be prepared for.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-15-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
Centurion Enzo 230 or 240 would be excellent choices. Deep V and rock solid hull design. Best rough water ride of any wake boat IMO.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-15-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
agree^^^^^^^^
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-15-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Centurion Enzo 23-24. Known for best rough water ride.

You don't want to be on the lake during a small craft where usually it's 4-7 footers. 3 footers or less near the shore and you'll be fine.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-15-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
Any of the boats you read about on this forum can be sunk by a quick change of weather on Lake Michigan. My advice is to research the weather before you go out. If there's a storm out near Iowa, be wary. If it's near Rockford, then don't bother going out.

We've got a 22 foot direct drive that we use on Michigan, within the breakwater at Milwaukee Harbor. Rarely do we go outside the breakwater for the simple reason that winds or a storm can kick up the open lake quickly to the point where its not any fun and can be dangerous. Since you don't get a second chance if you misjudge the weather, we tend to stay inside the breakwater.

Milwaukee Harbor is huge, larger than many inland lakes, so there is plenty of room. I don't know how large Diversey harbor is, or if it is protected by a breakwater.

In Milwaukee Harbor, wake boats are a target for the Coast Guard. Essentially, we've got the equivalent of a small, high-performance sports car that they like to stop and board. Make sure you have all the required safety equipment. If you are boarded, they may check for:
fire extinguisher
USCG life jackets for everyone
USCG throwable cushion
an engine blower that works
bilge pump that works
spark arrester on your engine
your boat battery held in place with a bracket
flares (required on Lake Michigan outside of a breakwater)
running lights dusk to dawn
anchor
and probably some other stuff that I don't recall.

I'd say we get boarded about once a summer for no reason other than that our boat is comparatively small for Lake Michigan, so we look like someone who needs to be sent a safety message by the CG. No big deal, if you have all the safety stuff.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-15-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
M13

I used to regularly ride on Lake Michigan in the am's with a 20ft wakeboat. A Centurion Cyclone as well as my buddies Supra Launch (d-drive). Also owned a Centurion Avalanche as well. One of the best boats I had on there.

I now however own an older version of the Mastercraft X1 (you will hear why I changed mfg loyalty later if you like.....whole nother topic), but my MC dealer is top notch and I couldn't spring for a brand new MC and will say it takes a beating out there for sure. Some hulls just ride better and perform better in large rough water. I would recommend a Centurion big time for you, but the dealership in Chicago, Duchows is THE WORST! They are the a majority of reason after owning 4 Centurions I now own a late model X-Star. They actually tore up my brand new boat when I took it in for service. Numerous scratches in the gelcoat and grease stains, tools and beer cans all over my boat. It is a shame because a Centurion would fit your needs and I loved their product. Supra's would be the second best choice with their new drop keels. They have a very deep interior and handle rough water extremely well. I don't ride that much on the big lake anymore, but if I was still doing it the way I was I would def own a Supra. You would be fine witha 21V out there but a 22 or 24 would be sweet. You would have no worries at all. Also they have a hydralic wakeplate so they can help you get the most out of your boat on the big lake when cruising. Also check out the new Moomba XLV. A ton of boat for the money. Moomba has come a long way in the past few years and I have no qualms about recommending them now for an LSV or an XLV. Both also have the drop keels now for 08

Head over to Chicago Sea Ray/ Ultimate Wake and Watersports the Supr/Moomba dealer and talk with Neil. Awesome guy and very knowledgeable. Not another mfg basher. He will give it to you straight up.

MC also has some decent big water boats as well with the X15 X30 X45. I still think the Supra's ride smoother and you get a little more for you $$, but the MC is an MC. If you like the MC boats head over to the Chicago MC booth and ask for Mark or Erik. Both great people as well.

(Message edited by xstarrider on January 15, 2008)
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-15-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
nautique 230. We had another 230 run a double up around us during a photoshoot and the 3-4 foot waves didn't come over at all. I was sitting still and weighted to about 2600 lbs. we rocked so much we almost lost a 400 pound sat out of the bow seat but not a drop of water came in
Old     (merrion13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-16-2008, 6:06 AM Reply   
I don't have any familiarity with Centurion, but I'll have to take a close look at them at the show this weekend. Not good hearing about the dealer though. I've always been a fan of Supras, and I'm looking forward to seeing the '08 hull.
Thanks to all for their responses, now I have to get back to doing the job that will pay for the boat!
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
Centurions use Mercruiser engines, so if you went the used route, just find any dealer you want to service the boat. As many said, dealer is a major part of the process.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-16-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
Rule of thumb on the Great Lakes, at first sight of dark clouds, be within 5 minutes of port. Under 28 feet, always stay within sight of shore.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       01-17-2008, 4:58 AM Reply   
I'll second all the posts that recommend staying off the Great Lakes if there's basically any wind; I grew up very close to Lake Erie and know how rough those lakes can get. Having said that, I would also second the many posts suggesting one of the Centurion Enzos (230 or 240). Well built hulls, plenty of freeboard and the v-hull. This is my biased opinion of course; I'm very open about being a Centurion dealer in St. Louis. That's too bad about the Chicago Centurion dealer's reputation. I'm actually going to the Chicago show on Saturday and am always happy to espouse the virtues of the Centurions.