Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    bross            03-26-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
If you owned your own boat dealership and you could see one boat line, either Nautique or Tige...which one would you chose to sell. I might find myself under these circumstances soon and I hope to hear from wakeboarders having opinons different from me. Let me know why you would chose Nautique of Tige. THanks.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-26-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Nautys. Better brand recognition and more expensive. In my opinion, I think they are probably a better boat as well. They have been around for a long time.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   
Nautique.
What State would it be in?
Old    bross            03-26-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
Alaska
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-26-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
I would probably sell fishing boats then.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
The one with the highest profit margin! Serious if you earn a reputation as a quality service orientated dealer, you could sell the heck out of either of those brands. Yeah Nautique is considered an overall better boat, but there is no doubt you will pay the difference in $$$. So not everybody can afford one, or some that can still don't want to pay the extra cash for one, I guess it depends how serious they are. So bottom line there is a place for both.

I am sure you will consider competition in the area. If there are other dealers offering similar boats in the same price range of your brand, then maybe you go the opposite to fill in a niche in your market place.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-26-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
Brian,

If you are really thinking of opening a shop in Alaska and live in SLC, go ask Taylor. He sells both and could most likely give you some very good insight as to the profit margin and his opinions of working with either company. He is a very nice guy and I would assume that he would not have a problem sitting down and talking business for a short time. Then again, it is just a guess, but wouldn't hurt to call. I would also guess that you could ask a few of his sales guys the same questions.

Free advice and not exactly like you are going to hurt his sales from Alaska.

E.J.
Old    bross            03-26-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   
Ok. I am not going to Alaska, but I am not staying in Utah, so I will contact Taylor for some advice. Legally I don't want to say too much right now. Thanks. Also, should I be looking into Mastercraft or Malibu? I know little about these boats, but not enough to rule them out as options. I chose Nautique and Tige based on price, potential market demand, and overall impression of the company. Between these four, what would be my best choice? Thanks. I appreciate your help.
Old    tigeboatsinc            03-26-2004, 5:58 PM Reply   
i would think tige, they don't cost as much as a nautique so it would be easier to get a crowd that probably isn't huge into watersports to buy a less expensive quality boat. And, tige is really coming on strong right now. I chose tige over nautique because to me it rode smoother in rough water, had the wake i liked, and seemed to be a more versitle family boat.
Old    dholio            03-26-2004, 6:18 PM Reply   
I would personally choose to sell Nautique but here are some things you need to look at. Where you will be opening a shop, do you have other competitors there, what is the income in the surrounding areas, will you have a really good service department (not just employees but a good environment to work in), how much potential there is for sales in your area. Just some food for thought. Good luck with the venture!! By the way, it is a lot easier to sell a boat if you truly believe in it and support it 100% not just because you are making a living from it.
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-26-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
I think you should seriously consider Malibu. No if's ands or buts about it. TODAY, at my income level if I were to buy a brand new boat. It'd be a 'bu. I honestly love them all, but BRAND NEW it'd be a 'bu.

used:
80's-Mastercraft
early 90's- Correct Craft
Late 90's 'Bu or MC

these are just generalities, I would consider any of them at the right price.
Old     (elduke)      Join Date: May 2002       03-27-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Brian,

Email me at darinm@taylorsboats.com.

I can help you out on the sales end of it.

Darin
Old    blr            03-27-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
i can only say that the nauti dealer here has either gone bankrupt or changed hands 4-5 times in the last 6 years. the mastercraft and malibu dealers switched brands and the tige dealer just continues to grow, and grow, and grow. a big difference is the people thought i am sure. i can talk to 10 people and will find at least 8 or 9 that have something bad to say about any of the 3 non-tige dealers and have spoken w/ hundreds of people about the tige dealer & only found one person who said anything (and it was very small) bad about the tige dealer. jst what it's like around here
Old    tigeboatsinc            03-29-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
i agree blr, thats how it is where i am. As where you are from, the nautique dealer dropped nautique to deal Tige'. Also, no one says anything bad about tige where i am unless it is just some kid who thinks he knows everything. A lot of kids will talk poorly because its what their friends do because they grew up around different boats. To my knowledge adults with incomes are the ones buying the boats not uneducated children.

(Message edited by tigeboatsinc on March 29, 2004)
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2004, 7:09 AM Reply   
I think you need to learn more about the boats and your market. Also, how long can you afford to sit on boats? Natiques are awesome, well built boats, but the higher price may affect volume. Our local dealer has good volume, but he has other lines to keep the income flowing in. You may want to consider a lower cost line also, or even a run about line to help have income during the inboard sales. Our Tige dealer picked up another line of lower cost boats and it helped his volume.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hmmmm...My local Nautique dealer has been in business for 35 years
Old    blr            03-29-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
wake fun - your also in california, home of the #1 Tige dealer in the world. things are not the same from state to state... Hmmmmmmm.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
Brian Ross,
If you want to work on boats all the time, then go with Tige.

Actually, go with the one that can make you more money. Profit margin, like Jonathan said.
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
Don't forget about Supra! You have mentioned all
of the names, but SUPRA! Profit Margin is HIGH!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the true profit margin of each brand?