Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
I have a friend that wants to go get dinner via boat on the delta in the next couple weeks. Can anyone recommend any good places to go by boat. Someone suggested maybe down into Antioch. I'd like to keep it as close as possible as it will be dark. I'm launching out of Bethel Island..... Also, I've never driven at night before on the delta....and I'm a little sketchy about that. I do have a spot light...what else is there to know? I'd also hate to meet up w/ some big tanker ship on one of the fast water ways, especially at night. Well, hook a brutha up........
Old    norcal_99            11-12-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
Plan it on a full moon. You'll have much better visibility if the sky is clear.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-12-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
Knowing where you are at night is much harder. Make sure you know where you are going. Objects in the water are gonna be impossible to see, and it is winter debris season. There is no speed limit at night just "safe navagational speed". Lights and white boats do not work very well. If you have a person freezing in the bow holding the light under the bow it works pretty well, but as Rene said plan it on a well moonlite night.

Can't help much on where to dine. Sorry.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-12-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
I know a few places, but the only ones that come to mind are the sugar barge, rusty porthole...
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
cool....i'll plan for full moon night.

I think we may try for a place called Humphrey's in Antioch. It looks pretty good and has docks and all.

on another note....what is the correct procedure if you come up against some big tanker ship on a big channel? I've dealt w/ your normal ~30 foot yachts, but i haven't spent much time on the big channels. How big can their wakes get? do you angle over them like normal? get as far to the side of them as possible? turn around and kinda ride them like a wave and let them slowly go under you while you power w/ them? I may just be paranoid here?

oh and Peter....you still have a dry suit? If you want to go out this winter then I definitely need to return the favor!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-12-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
You probably wont see a tanker in the event you do just drive by it as if it was another boat there is no procedure. The only reason you would is if you were on the main channel. Also a good way to come home is just go slow and use a spotlight to see stuff in the water and you and you date or whatever just enjoy a nice ride home because if you go fast, then well you weont be able to feel your face by the time you get home
Old    deltahoosier            11-12-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
Safer bet is just to stay home. Nothing like being out in the winter and having your boat hit something in a place you have no idea where you are and it be 39 degrees outside while you are stranded at night.
Old    whitechocolate            11-12-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
Im A Night Owl. I love being out On the water at night no matter how cold it is. Just wear somthing warm and take your time you will have a Great time. "Garlic Brothers" Is a nice place you will like it, is over in Stocton Just off of Benjman Holt drive. Down 14 mile slough off the main channel Better to go in the day and get your bering's I dont know how far that s from Bethel Island, I forgot the name of the Marina? Yellow Pages.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-12-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
You could always drive slow so 1 you dont come up on things too fast, also so you can talk to ur person ur having dinner with, it will be a much more relaxed setting i think.
Old    obsurfer            11-12-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
I like a hand held GPS. For a 100.00 Bucks its well worth it. Learn to use the zoom feature and follow your route exactly on the way back.
Old    norcal_99            11-12-2003, 10:37 PM Reply   
I'm not sure a GPS would help on the delta at night. Getting lost isn't really the problem. Hitting something (logs, sandbars at low tide, shopping carts, stolen cars, etc.) is more of the issue.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2003, 11:55 PM Reply   
My hand held GPS is something that I would not trade for anything on the Delta at night. Mine tracks the course within 3'. We head out for dinner, usually while it is still dusk, I make sure to stay well in the middle of all of the channels and turn wide, arrive for dinner, relax, hop back in the boat and I have an exact course and plot to follow home. Just gotta watch out for debris and other boats, otherwise it is almost like a video game following the little arrow on the line home.

HH Spotlight is key to light up the numbers on the navigational markers if you are in the main channel.

If you can get a GPS, figure out where you are heading, take a boat ride in the daytime, track and save the course, and navigation should be the least of your worries.

Garlic Brothers has got to be one of the best restaurants on the Delta. Look forward to it every time I am in the area.

Old    norcal_99            11-13-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
I've never been to Garlic Brothers, but heard many good things about it. I'm going to have to try it someday.

Shawn, I'm not knocking GPS systems. I think they're wicked cool. I'm only pointing out that there are many more worries than finding your way in the delta at night. I'm on the delta after dark regularly, and I've never been lost yet, but I've also been floating around in the delta for many many years so I know my way around.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-13-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
yeah...i think the gps thing is a great tool...especially since I could run the route in the day/on the way there and then just follow it back in the dark and not get lost/hit submerged objects. Then you just have to worry about floating objects.

I also think we may have 2 boats...so that will make it nice to have a backup just in case.

I've heard a lot of good about Garlic Brothers...but that would be a long way for me..especially since it's been years since I've been to that part of the delta. Sounds like a day trip to me.

thx for the info so far!
Old    whitechocolate            11-13-2003, 2:47 PM Reply   
Hey If you have the notion to do an Adventure, There is another Restraunt called "The Bread Tree" It's a little Jamacian Restraunt, "IT kicks Ass" Red Strip beer and all. Sometimes live Regea Music! The food is Very good, It is on the water at Paradise marina off of 8 mile road, I dare you to get the Jearked Chicken "Very Hott" WOW my mouth is burning thinking about it.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-13-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
Grant - Is that over by the tower park'ish area?

Another place that looks pretty nice is "Ryde Hotel" (Walnut Grove area). Dinner only during the summer though.....
Old    whitechocolate            11-13-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
It's off of 8 Mile road It's about 15-20 min Boat ride @ 30 miles an hour to Tower Park
Old    norcal_99            11-13-2003, 4:35 PM Reply   
Levi, Check out this site. http://www.sacdelta.com/
Old     (deltajake)      Join Date: May 2003       11-13-2003, 11:19 PM Reply   
Check out Riverboat 2

http://www.riverboat2.com/

It is on the Delta Loop about 2 miles south of highway 12. I store my boat at the Sugar Barge. by day at 30 MPH I can get there in about 20 minutes if I go around Franks tract. You crass the main chamnnel to Stockton. If there is wind it can get rough. Great bar and fun place to hang. Check them out for winter hours, 916-777-4884. We always head up there on Saturdays in the summer. Good chowder, be warned a bowl is 8 cups.

Heading for Humphry's can tricky. It is easy to get to. About an hour ride because how slow you need to go till you get off the island. Beware! everyone I know that has done this wants to turn into Big Break. A couple of years back a friend that has made the trip many times did this and spent the night in Big Break waiting for the tide to come in to get his little ski boat off the mud.
Old    aka sickboy            11-14-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
Levi-
Keep in mind that Antioch is where the salinity of the Delta starts getting much higher. This is the area where most people make the determination of salt water vs fresh. Something to keep in mind if you don't have a closed cooling system.

mb
Old    norcal_99            11-14-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
Levi,

Where on Bethel will you be launching from? Don't the have places on Bethel to dine?

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-14-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
Good info everyone! Dang...the salt thing is definitely good to know. I have been wondering where the salt/fresh water line was....I thought it was farther towards the bay.

Rene - Yeah...they do have some places there...but we kinda wanted to take a little trip. If we just go on Bethel Island then a 5 minute trip in a no wake zone will be kinda anticlimactic. Oh, and I'm launching from Russo's Marina (next to Frank's Tract).

I'm starting to think that Taco Bell by my house is going to be the ticket. Now..if I could only get my boat trailer in and out of the drive through!
Old    norcal_99            11-14-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
You could always head out of Russo's Marina. Cruise all the way around Holland Tract, and then back to the other side of Bethel Island. Your date would never know you're only a few 100 yards from your starting point. Then on the way back, explain that your going to take a short cut home, and cruise around the island in the no wake zone to Russo's. You'd be a hero for saving her from a long cold journey.
Old    crash_and_burn            11-14-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
Rene, u r the pro... its going to be colder that a withes whatever. If levi boy wants to keep the "friend" that would be the answer.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-14-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
Rene - Ha ha....I see we think alike...I was thinking about doing that same thing. Next you'll be telling me to throw in "Monster Ballads" for the trip back.
Old    aka sickboy            11-14-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
Also, are you leaving the boat in the water? I think Russo's closes at sundown, don't they?
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-15-2003, 1:00 AM Reply   
Mark - Yeah...they close at 5pm during the winter. But I can pull it out myself.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-16-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
Just remember RED RIGHT RETURN.