Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-24-2009, 5:02 AM Reply   
Getting tired of messing with extra pumps and sacks to put additional weight in my 07 X45. I would like to tap into the factory pumps to fill two 400lbs sacks on either side of the engine, but i'm not sure of the easiest way to do this or how the factory ballast timers will come in to play. Anyone out there had any success with something similar to this? I am aware of the fly high system but not in spending that kind of money. I have other weight in the boat and would just like to utilize the sacks I already have. I'm pretty sure this has been touched on in the past here but i'm not having any luck with my searches.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
this is not my thread but i did the same thing in my 07 x2. very easy install

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25491
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-24-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
THANK YOU! That's exactly what I was looking for, you rock insuranceman!
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
brett, the only concern you may have is the timers. i had to redo mine.

here is the instructions to get more time.

application/pdfUpload
Ballast timers.pdf (40.8 k)
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-24-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Brett

I just sent u an email.

The only timers that can be reprogrammed to 20 minutes are from 2008 and newer. Everything before that only has 6 minute jabsco timers.

(Message edited by mofreestyle on September 24, 2009)
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-24-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
I do not think mine have timers...2006 X-45. I know I have left the pumps on for longer than 6 minutes.

I did plumb my sacs right into the overflow and it works awesome. The front is not so simple on an X45.
What kind of sac are you hoping to use for the front?

I have the X-star supplemental ballast system and it takes a little bit of thinking to get the front to drain properly.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
mark, are you sure that only the 08's can be reporgrammed. i did mine and was able to extend the amount by 5 minutes or so. i do know that in 08 they did make them to pump longer.

in 06 they did not have timers
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-24-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
In 2006 there were no timers.

In 2007 the timers were set at 4 minutes out of the factory but could be programmed up to 6 minutes.

In 2008 jabsco switched to 20 minute timers but came from the factory set at 6 minutes.

I had each year of these boats and have talked to jabsco many times in 2007. We bypassed the timers and made our own ballast box. We also made a couple more ballast boxs in 2007. One was for a guy in minnesota with an x-45. So I'm almost certain Brett's 07 has 6 minute timers.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-25-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
I believe, the '08's also have load circuitry in them as well. So if there is a load change, (more work to fill the additional sacs), it will shut them off as well. My advice and what I did, remove them all together with your own timeless wiring.
Upload
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
shawn, did you do that yourself or did you send it off.
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-25-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
I built/designed that one.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-25-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Mark, good to hear from you. I've been so busy I have not had the opportunity to set something up with you. I did not receive any recent emails, however, does this mean I can't add additional bags to my factory pumps because of 07's short adjustment on the ballast timers? Could I bypass it altogether somehow?
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-25-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Brett-

I just emailed u saying that I could come down and help you plumb in your extra ballast. I have installed many fly high systems. You can add additional bags but you will have to either change out the 6 minute timers for 20 minute timers or bypass them all together like Shawn K. I can help u do this. I have built a few ballast boxes and might have one sitting around somewhere.

The load circuitry that Shawn talks about is not an issue because it only measures the load when emptying in order to not let the pumps run dry. No matter how much additional weight you are adding the load never changes when filling. That's why the timers were introduced in order for them to shut off the pumps at approximately the time the bags are full. Timers are pointless because the pumps are still being lubed by the water going through them when filling. This is why people just bypass the timers because there is no harm in running them to long. Just a little water coming out the overflows.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
skeeler, how hard was it to hardwire the timing box? i got a quote from some company and i don't even remember who it was.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-27-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
Shawn,

Do you or does anyone have instructions on how to do that to the ballast box?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
What are the valves used for in the fly high kit. Is it just to isolate the bags from the tanks. It seems like alot of extra money to spend for valves vs. buying the bags seperately.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-27-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
Rich - that is exactly what they are used for. Allows a little more fine tuning. Filling the fly high for example, and then using your factory gauged ballast underneath it to fine tune. I just installed the system without the valves. I was considering it, but it makes the install a little more involved, adds to cost, and I didn't see enough benefit to do it. And then I read about someone who had flyhigh valves that didn't seal correctly and led to issues. I skipped them.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
Just finished installing the extra bags in the boat. I ordered the X2 front bag and reused the v-drive sacks from my last boat. I plumbed it in like the pics in the link except I used a tee in the line at the KGB tank and ran it to both sides of the front sack. Gonna check it out tomorrow at Bullards Bar. Between the stock and sacs I figure I'm up around 2300 lbs of ballast. I also reproped to an Acme 1479 from the stock for the additional weight.
Went smooth except you definitely need a blow dryer to soften the tubing to fit the 1" barb fittings. I spent around $350 on the new front bag, fly high bag connectors and hardware store PVC fittings instead of $1200 for the whole new kit so Im stoked.
Didn't lock tight the fittings on the bags. I might go back as I can only imagine the fittings are gonna move all around.