Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       04-24-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
THE BACKGROUND

My wife and I recently purchased our first house together, although we each owned our own homes prior to marriage in 2012. We purchased this house in Folsom, CA which is 20 minutes outside of Sacramento. We both work in the construction industry as large-scale commercial project managers. Two of the main requirements were a 3 car garage to store our boat, and walking distance to the lake which this house has. Unfortunately, I had to sell my first car - 1968 AMC Javelin which I had lovingly restored in order to buy the house. It's not all bad though, since I sold it back to the 2nd owner whom I purchased from in 2002. Below are a couple photos of the house, and the lake in case you aren't familiar with the area
IMG_0470 by steventankersley, on Flickr
1388089469269_Whelan_Ct_Pool by steventankersley, on Flickr
1388089450515_Whelan_Ct_Exterior by steventankersley, on Flickr

I convinced my wife that the garage should be our first priority so we can start unpacking boxes and getting our things organized. She thought I was crazy for wanting to renovate the garage first, but she understands the logic and wants to get our garage organized to fit our boat for summer. Did I mention she is pretty awesome? More on that later...:hitit:

We started with a dirty, neglected garage which needed quite a bit of work. The previous-previous owners had converted one of the stalls to a bedroom, complete with HVAC duct, which the owner before us had torn out. However, the walls and ceiling showed where the old walls had been, and the concrete floor had chips all over from where the sill plate was shot into the concrete. Paint colors were all different, and was quite frankly a mess. The rest of the garage had cabinets, which were the original kitchen cabinets. Most of them were falling apart and were damaged.
IMG_0187 by steventankersley, on Flickr
IMG_0186 by steventankersley, on Flickr
IMG_0436 by steventankersley, on Flickr

Electrically, the existing lighting consisted of a single lightbulb in the wall, with a switch in the laundry room, which was woefully inadequate. Originally there were 3 outlets in the garage, which I intended on upgrading. Additionally, the garage doors are 25 years old, and on their last legs (dented, uninsulated, even cracked where the arm pulls). One opener has no safety features and are very noisy. I found the liftmaster 3800/8500 openers, which I decided I will install along with insulated doors.

Through this forum (and Houzz), I had a vision of what I wanted for my garage. My goal is to have everything off the floor and in storage (bins or cabinets), plenty of lighting, and epoxy'd floors and painted walls. Here are a couple photos I used for inspiration
IMG_0183 by steventankersley, on Flickr
IMG_0184 by steventankersley, on Flickr

PHASE 1 DEMO

Demo mainly included getting every possession out of the garage and into the yard, shed, and spare bedrooms. First priority was getting the old cabinets out of the garage, and sorting which ones I will keep and which I will trash. Additionally, there was an hvac duct (disconnected but still present) and some window coverings. Here is how it looked once the cabinets were out.
IMG_0437 by steventankersley, on Flickr

NEXT - PHASE 2 - ELECTRICAL

Last edited by fouroheight68; 04-24-2014 at 9:26 AM.