Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-30-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Just got my 420 installed and I am happy to be able to say I have ZERO engine noise - at any volume. It works great and I am completely happy with this purchase. However, I have a few questions on the operation of unit.

1) When I turn down the boat speakers, I seem to loose the sub. Is that normal? I would think not since there are 3 separate RCA inputs (high, low and sub) on the back of the 420.

2) Do most people crank the volume to max on both the tower and boat speakers and then vary the master volume on the head unit, then use the 420 to reduce either the boat and/or tower speakers?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-30-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Tom,

The sub is a bass boost gain. So the sub volume is tied into the in boat volume and the sub knob is just a boost. So if you want towers and sub. Turn the in boat up a bit and max the boost for the sub. Then if you crank the in boats up, you can gain the sub down.

I would say most use it like you mention on number 2.

Glad you got it in with no problems!!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (kap)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-30-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
TIM really think you have a great product. I purchased it recently, but I would like it much more if it had a separate bass volume control knob so you can have the bass on without the interior speakers on.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Tim -

Could I disconnect the sub output from the 420 and just use my headunit's sub out to control the sub? I have a bass boost control output from the sub amp (Kicker KX600.1).
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-01-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Tom,

I had the same concern you did... But, I configured it like Tim suggested and everything works great! If you don't run the sub from the WS420 you lose the benefit of the voltage increase to the amps which is huge. Also, if you use the aux input on the WS420 then you would have not sub.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-01-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
okay, help me out here

i thought you did have complete control of the sub independent of cabin or tower speakers? is this a limitation of the HU?

trying to understand this because i'll be upgrading hopefully soon and the ws420 is on my shopping list.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Larry -

Is the only time people use the AUX input on the 420 is to run an MP3 or iPod thru the 420? If so, why would that knock the sub out?

Regarding the benefit of the 420 line driver, my HU has 6.5V preamp outputs which is perfect from my sub amp setup. I may mess around with things a bit.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-01-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
i re-read tim's post and i guess i understand, but am still a little confused. i guess i thought the 420 gave independent control of the sub, but i guess that's simply not possible??? if you had the master volume turned way up on the HU and you turned the gain down for the cabin speakers on the 420, why would you lose your sub?

(Message edited by brucemac on July 01, 2008)
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
bruce the 420 combines the sub volume with the interior speakers. so from the eq you only have 2 volume controls the tower and cabin. the cabin volume will dictate the volume of the sub.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-01-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
The WS 420 has 2 main volume controls. In boat and Tower. The subs main volume is controlled with the inboats.

You have control over the sub by using the bass boost knob. For instance just like a head unit controls the volume for the sub and having a bass boost knob that comes with an amp. The sub volume goes up and down with the main volume but you can turn the sub up and down on its own with the knob.

So you can have towers only. In boats only with no sub by turning the boost down. In boats and sub.

If you want towers with sub and no in boats. All you do is set you sub amp up with the gains set so the sub is playing at the volume you want with the in boat volume at the min level and the bass boost knob up.

So you will have a bit of in boats when doing your tower/sub only type deal. So with the inboat volume down and sub bass boost maxed, the sub will be where you want it. Once you turn the in boats all the way up, you turn the bass boost down to get the sound where you want it without distortion.

I also feel it sounds better overall to have a tiny bit of in boats going. But this is at such a min level if you want, that people can still talk etc...

I built a couple of prototypes with true 3 volumes for tower, in boats and sub. And found it to be more difficult to use. Especially when you used the aux input. When you wanted to turn the volume down. You had 3 volumes to turn down.

It is easy to grab the in boat/tower (knob/ring) together so it would be in one motion. But that always left having the sub playing on it's own and having to turn it down and back up.

It was too much while driving.

So you have control over the sub as in bass boost.

You can go direct from a head unit to a sub but you really wouldn't want to. If you use the aux input into the 420 and had it hooked up like that. You would lose the sub because once you push the aux input button, the head unit doesn't exist in the line. As the ws 420 is passing the aux signal from the eq to the amps. If you use the aux into a head unit, it would not be an issue.

Larry had the same questions but after using the eq and setting it up. It works great and he is happy with it. Just a bit different than what he did before with a fader.

Hope this helps and let me know if all that makes sense!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
Here are some pics of my install. I tried to match the MasterCraft engine turned material they used for the dash in the '02 and '03 models. I got pretty closed. Let me know what you think.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-02-2008, 6:09 AM Reply   
Tom,

That looks awesome! E mail those to me. I want to get them on the site. twhite@wetsounds.com

Great job.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-02-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Tim -

Pictures are on their way.

Tom
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Tom,
Where did you mount your mic? I have one being installed today and just curious. Looks real good.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-02-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
I haven't hooked up the mic yet but when I do, I'll probably just lay it in the tray next to the drivers seat. I don't think I will permanently mount it anywhere.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-02-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Hey Tim, would it be possible to do something with the 420 resembling presets you can use in a digital EQ, eg 'riding-with-fogies' preset (max tower min in-boat for conversation) 'core-crew' (max everything) etc etc that are user-configurable? You're definitely right about that being too much to worry about while trying to give a good pull, but i wonder if it might be easier to just do it digitally (hopefully i didn't offend any audiophiles...you crazy coots know you're not getting audiophile quality anyway! ;))
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-02-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Tony,

Yes but the processing would make the part very expensive.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-07-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
Tom nice work!

Can you make me one?! Seriously though, did you do that yourself or take it to a shop? I have that same turned dash on my 03 and will be installing the 420 fairly soon, it would be cool to try and match it like that.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-08-2008, 12:09 AM Reply   
Bruce -

I bought the material from a company in the mid west. I could get you there name if you're really interested. A sheet 12" x 6" cost $72 shipped to Seattle. I had a buddy of mine machine the opening, tap and thread 4 machine screws into the flange of the WS-420. I would call Shane at Signature Motor Design in Kirkland and he could probably hook you up with a guy that could do the machining. He is also on WW sometimes so he might pick up on this post. If you want more info., let me know.
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-08-2008, 12:20 AM Reply   
Oh, I forgot to tell you the engine turned material is only .062-inches thick - too thin to support the weight of the WS-420. I had to laminate it to .125-inch aluminum plate to give it enough strength to hold everything. I then machined the opening and the outside dimensions.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-08-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
thanks Tom, Shane will probably be doing my install, so i'll ask him about it. nice work.