Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-02-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
So it was true...

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=475
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-02-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
it has been a couple of weeks now since they left.
this is why some of the team riders are leaving like Lauren Loe and George Daniels.
looks like the hyperlite dream team might be falling apart
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-02-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
I know the rumors were floating around, posts were deleted, but this make it official.

Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-02-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
Resigned huh. Three top execs don't coincidentally resign at once. It always cracks me up to see this play on words. They were either canned or are in cooperation to start something new and decided to leave together. Hopefully the latter.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-02-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
well it is a father son thing so it wasn't a coincidence and they sure didn't get canned being that they were the owners.
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-02-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
they were a great team, we all go back a long way. I wish them great success.......jf page
Old     (mpayette)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-02-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
This is not resignations. Everybody knows in big enterprise = politics.
VP and directors are NEVER fired even if they screw up BIG time.

This website deleted some post because they wanted to censure this information...why? Freedom of speech... let me wonder...

(Message edited by mpayette on December 02, 2005)
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-02-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
I feel there shiping woes are of greater concern right now.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-02-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
They failed to adapt to the way a business needs to be run to be successful the days. The result was lack of profit and growth. Companies do it all the time, and if anything Hyperlite waited too long to act. Probably as a sign of respect to the Obrien's.

As for the "Team" I doubt the company will have any trouble replacing the few that decide to walk. Those who do chose to do so will probably have some legal baggage to deal with if they do.

I don't mean to be a downer on this subject, it's just how the corporate world works these days. Perform one day, your a hero. Fail to index to that standard the next, and your gone.
Old    roadking            12-02-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
Where they gonna go if they do walk, Archer owns the whole industry, or at least all the major ones with money.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
Providing they haven't signed a no compete agreement I would expect a new board company entering the market soon. Herb & Paul, good luck you have my suport.
Old     (mpayette)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-02-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
Who owns Radar lake, I'm curious...
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-02-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
From what I understand, Herb leases it from someone.
I may be wrong though. I am sure it is Herb's and not Archer's. I would assume it is no longer Hyperlite's training grounds..

What team guys are going to leave Hyperlite? Any guesses..
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
The Team guys are under contract, a lot will depend on who takes over for Paul as team manager and what direction HL wants to go.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-02-2005, 7:12 PM Reply   
Pretty sure Herb owns Radar. I remember reading somwhere that Bill Gates' of Microsoft fame wanted to buy it from Herb.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-02-2005, 7:12 PM Reply   
Martin, assuming I'm wading through your grammar correctly, didn't you just say they didn't resign and then you said they didn't get fired? I'm having trouble reconciling that one.

I think everybody needs to keep in mind that there will be a lot of posts on this thread from people who think they know everything about this situation, yet really don't know jack. I'm going to roughly estimate the percentage of said know-it-alls to be around 99.999%.

This is a discussion board and people can say just about anything they want. I'm sure folks like Martin would like to think that there is some big exciting conspiracy within the industry causing me to "censure" information and put limits on your "freedom of speech," but I think that would be giving this little website a little to much credit for being the almighty keeper of the wakeboarding information.

That being said, I can't really say that I have a ton of facts about what's going on (I'm part of that 99.999%) and most likely will never have information on the details of company business that goes on behind closed doors.

I did just get off the phone with Paul O'Brien and as of this week he and his dad are no longer employed by HO/Hyperlite. He mentioned how much he's going to miss everybody at the company his father started 24 years ago and how he wishes them all well. He had a great ride. He said that HO/Hyperlite is in good hands and will continue to do great things with the people that they have.

As for the O'Brien's future plans, it's anybody's guess. They're just doing their best to get this chapter of their lives wrapped up and promised to keep us posted on future endeavors.
Old     (mpayette)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-02-2005, 7:22 PM Reply   
Good point David,

But the things his: I don't look for an "exciting Conspiracy".

This is a corporate decision and that it.
I was only telling a fact and that it

I see that people are very passionate about this sports and that is the ONLY thing that can "excite" me ;)

from UP north
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
wonder if thiers any connection with hype moving ALL production over seas and herb and paul leaving. Hope they start a new company and press those boards where all boards should be made Washington!
Herb owns Radar and they are in process of making it bigger. I live a couple miles away and they have the land use permit signs up.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-03-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
What about CJ? He is great guy and I expect great things from him.
Old     (wakerider900)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-03-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
Cj, needs his own Topic. He is Killer.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-03-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
you know, something like this happened once before. two guys, unhappy with their corporate partners, decided to part ways with the deep pockets and start an entirely new venture to fulfill their vision of what a wakeboard company could be. today, tony finn and jimmy redmond run a little company called liquid force.
Old    freerider4            12-03-2005, 10:18 PM Reply   
luke kent sports owns liquid force to.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-03-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
luke, matt is so right. Tony and jimmy take orders from the big guns. Tony and jimmy got in to the same position herb and paul got in with wake tech they wanted to go another way with wakeboards and the corps didn't see it their way. Now look where wake tech is today.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-03-2005, 11:31 PM Reply   
I'd look for Obrien to jump on another venture.....like joining Gator??...then again...he is older and rich...enjoy life my man!
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-04-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
matt and squid,

tony and jimmy had liquid force before it was owned by kent. my point was, they had a good company before, and now with some backing they have a great company. paul and herb will be their own backing, and have all the insight and experience from their years with hyperlite to pour into a new venture. this should be good.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-04-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
perhaps they are moving to kiteboarding
I wish them well on anything they do
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-04-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
Luke, yes your right LF is a good company. Now they have went over seas to build boards. I know that would not be Tony or Jimmys first choice so once again the big dogs have pulled strings and told them what to do with the boards. I just hope these boards will hold up like the old boards made in the good old USA did.
Old    roadking            12-04-2005, 3:30 PM Reply   
CWB is the only major wakeboard company still making all thier high end boards in the US (Washington). CWB is also the only company that is tied to Bob Archer that he does not own 100% of.

Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-04-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
Brian - O'Brien makes all their hi-end boards in Washington as well...

(Message edited by team_o on December 04, 2005)
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       12-04-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
Untill the 2006 line hyperlite still made their boards in washington too. Washington has been the manufacturing home of the watersports industry since the first concave bottom water ski in the late 60's. its a bummer to see them all start to leave. From iconn to double up and blindside(aka kidder skis) -RIP- now hype, and obrien. Hopefully connely (CWB) holds out.
Its great to see that even though the company saves money by manufacturing overseas i have never seen board prices go down.
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-04-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
CWB - Major? Let's tap the brakes a bit on that one big fella. LOL. (I crack myself up). CJ will have his hands full but he has a stellar sales force to help keep the peace. Do not under-estimate the impact that Brian Gardner had on HO/Hype - from the original sales manager to recent head honcho. Further fallout is inevitable. Mr. Archer better watch his step before he loses more real talent. That building is full of people who owe a tremendous amount of gratitude to Herb & Brian. I can't imagine how this must make them feel. I can't wait to see what the trio has in the works. Herb has been one of the most influential pioneers in our industry, he won't be gone long. Maybe this will all work out for the best and we'll get some real competition back among the manufacturers.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-05-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Does this mean Byerly can finally ride for Gator?
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-05-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Wakespecialty...what was your tap on the brakes point?
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-05-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
My point is good natured ribbing. When you calculate market share and unit sales, clearly there are only two "major" brands.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-05-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
you better check again buddy. CWB is gaining share fast, especially in CA. Some project them to be number 2 in the not so distant future.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-05-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
Allright lets face the facts Hype was and is so big beacuase they spent more than everyone else on marketing. The super team; marketing, so what happens when you spend to much on marketing? You loose you're brand longevity, so they make good boards so does everyone else what sets hype apart marketing. No look at you're average pro shop the younger guys are coming in and asking for cwb, liquid and gator. I hate to say but it smells like the end of hype as the domanating force in the industry.
Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-05-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
Happy to hear that CM is building a loyal following in nor-cal he's one of the goods.

Quiz time for Erik. If Company A spends $12,500 for marketing off $250,000 in sales revenue and Company B spends $26,500 for marketing off $750,000 in sales revenue, who spent more?

It is too simple to say that marketing dollars spent equals sales. The fact is that HO & Hyperlite have had the best sales force, the best dealer support, great product development, and yes, great marketing. They are aggressive at every turn and have filled the company with great people.

Trust me, I am not a shill for HO/Hype, this seemed to me an opportunity to give the boys a little love. After all, these are the guys responsible for bringing us such innovations as the "phaser", power-rods, the twin-tip....oh wait, scratch that last one, and let us not forget the Hyperlite Snowboard.

Finally, for Erik, you can argue that either company spent more.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-05-2005, 1:13 PM Reply   
If team payroll counts as marketing, then I would GUESS that Hyperlite certainly spent more.

"The fact is that HO & Hyperlite have had the best sales force, the best dealer support,"

Again, I think it depends on the area. I know a hand full of riders that jumped form Hyperlite to CWB this year just because A) they respect the local representation more and B) CWB produces awesome new shapes EVERY year.

Your statement about HL/HO having a better salesforce wouldn't necessarily hold true in our hood. When people meet CM, they want to support him.