Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
I wonder if any of the Pros do any strength training or hit the gym. How many of you do hit the gym on a reg basis and dose it help your riding.
Old    nething2blind            11-29-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
everyone does some sort of training. I go to the gym 5 days a week. for 1 1/2 hrs a day. 40 min of cardio and the rest a work out. On sat. I go to gymnastics. pretty gay for a 24 year old. but they have the best equipment for learning tricks.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-29-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
squid, you know that gym will help your riding. you dont have to go to be all bulked up. any type of conditioning for the muscles will help. just keep stretching and keep everything loose. the old myth that the gym will get you all bulked up and unable to perform is an old myth.if you did get all buffed up we could call you the squdinator!! if you worked out like you boarded your sets would never end-"just one more, just one more" just kidding hope everything is well
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Ryan, how did you find a place that would allow you to use their equipment? I have tryed to find a place here in Bako, but they all say that I'm too old. That really sucks to hear.....that I'm too damn old.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-29-2005, 9:40 AM Reply   
ryan, I haven't trained or been in the gym 3 years and my harder tricks have gone and left me.

gsnieski, haha squinator as for the just one more, just one more shanna would shut the boat off and make me come in after a hour of riding.

looks like its time to hit the gym and get my self back in shape.

(Message edited by twakess on November 29, 2005)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
If you can ride for an hour.....screw working out!!

I can barely ride 10-15min.Talk about having to get in shape.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-29-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
yeah, or stop smoking.......
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-29-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have been going to the gym pretty regularly for the past year, over the summer I went twice a week usually, 3 or 4 times if it was rainy. The gym definitely seemed to help me hold on longer number one, I would ride out of some of the sketchiest situations that my friends claim they havent a clue how I did it, other than that I could ride for as long as I wanted... it wasn't an issue of being tired, it was an issue of "now its your turn"
I lifted for strength, I have't bulked up ALOT and Im not the most flexible person, but it def helped, over the winter Im going to try to increase size and strength and then when crew season starts towards the spring Im going to go to less weight and more reps and do more stretching
Ive recently read about this workout pertaining to legs/core for snowskiing/boarding preseason prep, Im sure it would help wakeboarding too
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-29-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
A lot of the guys use the tramp because it works for both cardo and keeps your air awarness sharp. For us northwest guys a winter of snowboarding keeps the legs in pretty good shape. Glen Fletcher from O'town is very big into streching & has his students do tramp work and streching before their set.
Old    nething2blind            11-29-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
Poser there are a couple of place down here. Williams showed me a place near his folks house in westlake. I do mine in ventura. its me and 20 high school cheerleaders. haha. 24 not to old. they have a couple of trampolines that harness you in and you go like 40 ft in the air,,,(still waiting to do that off a double up, but if i ever get there ill know what to do lol) and the coaches teach you technique for flipping.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-29-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
LOL....do you really think that is the problem?

HONESTLY!!!!

Last year I didn't have that problem but I also worked and my job is physically demanding plus with a 30lbs-50lbs bags aroung my waist going up and down the stairs....now that's what my body is missing.I need my arms and legs to be stronger,it's really not the cardio thing....I think.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-29-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
Ryan,

where in vta do you go? I dont have room for a trampoline, but would love to be able to get some trampoline time.
Old    cdubs            11-29-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
ryan you only go there cuz the cheerleaders i know whats up. lol. ive only been to a gym twice in my life and it was boring for me. personally i think being on a trampoline is the best not just for excersize but you learn how to control your body in the air which makes wakeboarding alot easier. my friend derry bulked up at the gym the past three years and it made his riding worse. when im not on the water i skateboard alot which helps w/ eye-foot cordination, trampoline skate, and then cross over to wakeskating. after wakeskating alot wakeboarding just feels alot easier. even though your strapped in you ride your board like you still have shoes on i think.
Old    nething2blind            11-29-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
you know it chris...lol...there are some sexy girls there. but i agree the trampoline is the best. # the water is the best place to get good. eat crap then do it again. Youll learn from your mistakes faster. otherwise it hurts after a bit
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-29-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
i work out about four times a week with weights but try and do cardio everyday. if you stay flexible, working out can only help. it will prevent injury and can help you pull out some sketchy landings. the best thing to do for riding is work out your hamstrings and quads. this helps with landings and can help prevent from blowing out a knee, which really sucks.
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-30-2005, 9:37 PM Reply   
Like Randy said... we do a TON of tramp work at OTown which really helps with getting fluidity and your cardio. Plus we're stretch FREAKS. Someone's always on the floor twist their back out, or stretching a leg. Rusty's BIG into stretching his back. Plus a lot of us go to a Massage Therapist in town that specializes in pro athletes and keeping our bodies properly tuned. I used to work out a bunch, but have fallen off the schedule since school got busy. I know Dallas works out a ton, plus she's doing therapy for her injuries. Some guys are hardcore abot working out, but most stick to riding and tramp work.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-01-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
work-out

I believe riders like shapiro, weather, etc.. hit the gym.

Wasn't there a wakeboard DVD that came with a BOW-FLEX training video?

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-01-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   

I believe riders like shapiro, weather, etc.. hit the gym.

Wasn't there a wakeboard DVD that came with a BOW-FLEX training video?

Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-01-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Squid I broke down and started going to the gym a bit, still not in a great rythem too much out of town work and long days but I'm getting my knee back into shape. It's still kinda messed. Other than I have been going to play on the diving boards once a week. Not only is it a good workout but it helps with my inverts and air sense, and now and then gives me one hell of a spanking.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
Jeff when you get back to e-town gimme a shout and well hit the gym together
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-01-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
Ok thanks for all the input. I will be hitting up the gym for cardio and strength.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
As you get older it will be the only thing that keeps you on the board.

As for bulking up, I was at 245 a few summers ago at about 12% body fat and it was impossible for me to stay out on a run for longer than 10 mins, and by the end of the second run I was done. My skills disappeared to bring me at the aweful level that they are now.

This summer, I was at 200 LBS, and I had alot easier of a time despite being in piss poor shape. I guess the important thing is, adjust your training for conditioning. Powerlifting might throw back your boarding. It did for me.
Old    260searay            12-02-2005, 3:04 AM Reply   
I have been going to the gym 5 days a week and lifting heavy with hardly any cardio for 2 years. All i want to do is get big........that probably isnt really good for this sport but oh well.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-02-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
mountain biking
my cross trainer/spnner
www.crossfit.com
trampoline
surfing
snowboard
skateboard a little(trying not to get hurt)
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-02-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Mabye this will help.
http://wakeworld.com/Articles/2005/WakeboardingWorkout1.asp
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       12-03-2005, 1:04 AM Reply   
At my job they had to hire a trainer to show us how to workout and lift properly inorder to cut back on work related injuries. The plan she established included a comprehensive "Core" training program, balance training, and plyometrics.

The results= I became a better wakeboarder.

Using the Swiss ball or Core ball helped strengthen muscles I never thought I had. Also, post riding soreness was cut in half. Time required for recovering from injuries was also cut in half, sort of. But, the most important exercise I think made the biggest difference was the plyometrics. It just gives you spring in your ride. If you only perform them a couple of times you will notice a difference in your riding, especially if you do them with a weight in your hands.
performbetter.com check out the balance discs too!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
Im thinking about starting with Pilates... do you think it will help my riding?
When I wakeboard constantly I have no prob riding for a full hour, but i would like to be stronger.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2005, 7:20 PM Reply   
Cristina, we have a friend, Pro wakeskater Jeff Engen who does Pilates before every contest, told me it made a huge impact on his riding, finished top 10 on the pro skate tour and won his heat yesterday at the Tige Open. Good luck in the finals Jeff.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
Hey Randy... I see we are answering on the same threads! Im starting Pilates next week... so Ill let you know how much it helps me...