Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-22-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
So I just wanted some advice about my situation. I bought a brand new CWB Transcend towards the end of last year. When I got it I noticed there was a small chip/chunk broken off of one of the tips. The ends were covered with foam in shipping and the box was not damaged so that told me that most likely it was that way when shipped.

Well, I was excited about the board and didn't want to waste the time and money to ship it back to the shop (online) so I figured I would just exopy the broken spot. Yep, another CWB Transcend with epoxy! Afer riding it several times the expoxy has come off and now I worry about the spot getting much worse.

With all the talk of the great CWB service I was curious if they would do anything for me. I completely realize I should have sent it back when I received it already damaged so I am fully prepared if nothing can be done. No worries either way.

What do you guys think?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Try calling them. They have been great tow work with.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-22-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Just call Amanda in warranty explain what happened and see what she can do for you.
425-775-5416
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
So the board isn't really broken?

If the board hasn't yet failed, I don't know that they're going to do anything for you, but it's worth a try.

Why not just throw a little resin on it?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-22-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
No, it's not "broken" but I'm afraid water is getting into the core and/or it's going to get worse. I guess it doesn't hurt to call them. They've already had to replace like 3 of my LG handles and had great customer service. I think that was Justin Nix.
Old     (jpod)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-22-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
i had the same problem last year with cwb shipping me boards with chunks out of the fins and on the edges. my local shop took care of it but i dont know what you can do since youve had it for so long already.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-22-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
Wow, I am a big dummy. I was looking back at my emails and had forgotten I had sent over pictures and an explanation to Justin at CWB when I first received the board.

Here was the reply:
"I will pass this along to our warranty department manager and she should be able to do something for you. You can continue to ride while we figure out the solution. You won’t get water in the core from that. Amanda Wolf is our warranty department manager and she should be in contact with you. Thanks"

I never heard back from Amanda though. Is she just amandaw@ridecwb.com?
Old     (agentmichaelscorn)      Join Date: May 2008       05-22-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Yeah, that's her email address.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-22-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Just throw some fiberglass resin on it, sand it down, and ride it! Well thats what I did after a slider took out one of my molded in fins! haha.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
All of this great customer service, sounds like they have a lot of practice with it if their stuff keeps breaking :-). Actually - I've never ridden CWB so I'm in no position to judge, but what in the world did they have to replace 3 handles for? Did they break?
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-22-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
I bet it was a demo board! Is there a D carved on the tip of the board?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
The early LG handle had some problems.

Eubanks, just curious....you sound happy with their customer service, yet you started a broken board thread for a board that wasn't really broken, and you admitted that this issue is a bit of a stretch. If they see this thread, don't you think they might be less inclined to go the extra mile for you?

Just a hint of advice I guess.
Old     (agentmichaelscorn)      Join Date: May 2008       05-22-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
Probably just the grips that wore down...pretty common not just with CWB
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
its always best to call rather than to email them. Id call Amanda first and talk to her then send her an email summarizing what you guys talked about.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-22-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
With J-Rod on this. Have boards with chips/chunks all over the place, didn't get waterlogged, rode fine. It's cool to want to keep your new board in good condition, but I think people freak out a little too much about small dings.

Curious, but there are many riders who take out the center fins, do nothing to seal up the fin holes. Do they ever have problems with the board waterlogging? I haven't heard of any problems.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-22-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
One of my old Absolute got dropped out of the car, in front of Tanks house, and had a fat chip(3 inches long) out of the rail right behind my heel of my back foot. I figured with the location it was just a matter of time before I put my foot through the board. It was a platinum and was cracked to the foam. I did that in March and rode that thing until November the next year, and it was still rock solid. It's a small defect that won't really affect your ride, ride it and forget it. Oh & closed cell foam is closed so that it won't absorb water.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-22-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
The only boards that potentially get waterlogged are balsa core boards. Foam boards don't have any space for water to get between the core and the glass and the core itself wont absorb moisture. So, in the case of the wakeboard, the waterlogged core is a bit of a wives tale.

I've had boards with broken fins and or chipped nose/tails and I've riden them all year without any noticeable performance difference. If you're really worried I'd hit it with some fiberglass resin, let it cure, then sand it. I've repaired some mangled boards this way.

As for why it did it to begin with.... who knows. I've had random luck with boards. Some start to chip at the nose/tail the first ride. Some go all year. I really think it depends on the luck of the draw and how closely the board was "cut" to it's core.

Good luck man. If you really have trouble with the board I'm sure CWB will take care of it. They're pretty well known for their customer service.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-22-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
J-Rod - I'm not trying to hide anything here. If they are less inclined to help me because I was being honest here, then so be it. To me "broken" can mean different things. I stated in my post more detail about the chip/chunk broken off the board than I could fit into a thread title. I'm not trying to work the system here, but thought I would at least ask the question. I can't afford new gear all the time so I try to really take care of my stuff so it lasts a long time. I always keep my board in a board bag and ride them for at least 3 seasons. That's the only reason I was concerned...plus you shouldn't receive a brand new board with a chunk out of it that wasn't perceived to be damaged in shipping. Justin did say to ride it in the mean time so I don't feel bad about that.

David F - The LG handles are not very durable at all. My buddy has replaced at least 4 and I'm on my 4th right now. It is in terrible shape already. Most of them have torn and all of them have had the "leather" get really loose and twist all the way around the handle. It starts bunching up and becomes uncomfortable. I love the feel of the handle (obviously I keep riding with it) but they just don't hold up very well. As long as CWB keeps replacing the bad ones I'm fine.

Wes - I didn't notice anything about it like that that would indicate it is a demo board.

I will contact Amanda and see what they say. I'm cool with whatever they decide to do.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-23-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Justin got in touch with me. That email address above for Amanda got returned. They are watching this thread and hopefully they will help out with the issue. Thanks all.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
I haven't had any issues with my LG Handle, I have only had it for one season (1 year), since I am still rather new to wakeboarding, how long does a handle usually last? I was expecting only to get a year out of it, but it still looks great.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-23-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
If an online retailer shipped you a board with a notch out of it, wouldn't that fall on the retailer and not the manufacturer?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-23-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
I'm very happy to get a year out of a handle. There are some that last longer than that, but they're not very comfortable.

I'm going into year two with my second LG. I've been really happy with this handle and will likely replace it with the same. The grip is so nice. It's never slippery.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-23-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
I'm starting season 3 with my LG. Its stretched, torn, twisted, and broken in perfectly. I actually like mine all worn out / worn in.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-23-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
2nd year on my LG and its nice a broken in, but still going strong, love the LG!!