Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-09-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
What's the difference?

is it just that a tantrum is a TripFlip and a HS Frontroll is without the tripping at the wake?

or is it the same thing

idk...please explain
thanks

(Message edited by cwb_fooguitarlz on July 09, 2007)
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
no such thing as a H/S frontroll... you may be thinking of a mexican style backroll which is more of a summersault style tuck. A tantrum is more of a straight backflip, start your edge hard and early, flatten off and square up your shoulders at the wake- trip flip edge

the backroll you also use the wake to make you flip, for a backroll you need to make sure to edge progressively all the way up the wake, the details from here on out vary, some people say look over your front shoulder, some say tuck your back ear to your rear shoulder, either way it is sort of a reverse cartwheel rotation, you edge all the way up through the wake, I look across my front shoulder almost and push my hips up to the handle, the wake pushes the board up and the combonation of that happening and the rope pulling with rotate you around, keep your head up and your eyes open, try to spot the wake and the boat as you come around to land, tantrum I can't give you all the explicit details as I've only landed one... if you search the trick forums you should be able to find some tips but I think I covered most of the basics...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
HS front is tip over tail. Tantrum is edge over edge. One is a roll and one is a flip. Totally different.

Although. Squid throughs a massive Frantrum which is a hybrib of the two. Kind of like a two handed tantrum
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
The naming of our tricks is screwed.

I heel front is flip, but a a "Backroll" is a roll? Both are tip over tail.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2007, 9:33 PM Reply   
I always thought a heelside frontflip and backroll were like opposite rotations, but I understand what J-Rod's saying. Doesn't make sense.

But whats confusing is trying to tell someone that a heelside mexican backroll is more of a forward rotation.

Does a heelside frontroll exist? I can't depict the difference between that and a mexican backroll.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
a heelside frontroll is what it should be called, a mexican backroll is a stupid name and i don't call the trick that, i call it a heelside frontroll since thats what it is. wakeboarding tricks have some pretty stupid names!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-09-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
Im just calling it by the book guys! Yell at the O.G.s for naming them how they did, I also believe backroll may be derived from a trickski trick... were there discrepancies in my description of how to do a traditional backroll, if so, please tell??? Thought I did a decent job outlining what the man was looking for as far as answers, you always see ppl asking about hs frontrolls, and you always see ppl correcting them saying its a mexi roll and a backroll, not a frontroll... how do you describe a mexican backroll then roddyrod? Ever seen Gerry Nunn do a double backroll off the double up? does he call it a double front roll? it looks like a double summersault...
Old    alanp            07-09-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
stupid names or not people are gonna think you have no clue what youre talking about if you tell them you just landed a hs front roll.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
i am so confused right now. I can picture the difference between a backroll and mexi backroll and to me i figured that the front roll meant dropping your head and your shoulders off the wake, rather than your board going first in the rotation and holding on with both hands the whole way through...if you're body is facing the boat the whole time (essentially doing just the opposite rotation as a HS Backroll), why isn't that a heelside frontroll?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
Josh - if you know what the Mexi Roll and Back Roll are then from your description it sounds like you are talking about a HS Front Flip. Like it was said before...there isn't a HS Frontroll. it is what it is.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-10-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
A HS Backroll is a tip over tail (reverse cartwheel), A tantrum is a trip flip edge over edge, and a FS frontflip is a tail over tip (cartwheel) if you add a 360 to a front flip you have a slim chance. A handlepass 360 on a tantrum is a mobydick, and a handlepass on a backroll is a backmobe or hillside mobius. A mexiroll is a crunched-up almost off axis back-roll.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
ah, yes...there is the explaination there. i totally didn't make a distinction in my head then between front flip and front roll...thank u for the help!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-10-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Wow thanks George.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-10-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
And a mexi-roll with a handlepass 360 is a KGB, just wanted to complete the HS mobe list.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-11-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
all tricks i don't ever think i'll be able to do!!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-12-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
A HS Front Flip is tip over tail, usually thrown with two hands on the handle. It is a trip flip. A Tantrum is a trip flip also, but the board goes edge ovedr edge. Many people throw what they call a front flip, but it is really nothing more than a two handed Tantrum, or some would say a "Frantrum." NorCal rider Matt Medved throws a classic technically excellent Front Flip. I don't know if any video is available.

A backroll is opposite rotation from a Tantrum and a Front Flip. With the Tantrum and front flip, the board goes up and over the top, where the backroll is more like a "Gainer."

Hope this helps.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-12-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
I hope your talking about a TS Backroll being like a Gainer?
Old     (wake_swede)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
if you do a tantrum with both hands on the handle it ends up looking like a front flip what do they call that? frantrum?