Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-23-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
So Randy brought up a good question in the grab thread, but I didn't think it should be labored over in there, so here goes....

Is a Pete a Pete without the nose grab? It seems to me that if it doesn't matter where you grab it, then it would still be a Pete without any grab at all. I always thought a Pete had to be nose grabbed, but then the indy Pete/method Pete label got me wondering.

Also, are there any other inverts that have to be grabbed in a particular location to be legit?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Of course not, the rotation is what makes the trick. The grab just makes it harder (or in some cases easier). It's a way of expressing more style.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-23-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Ricky G just did an Indy Pete... still a Pete but 1000 times harder than a nose Pete
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-23-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Oh but he made it look so easy didn't he! And the way he almost did the two rotations seprately made it look even eaiser because the average person has a better understanding of whats going on. Sick looking.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
if a method is a move, how could you put in on a pete? wouldn't it be a melon?
Old    K.B.C.            05-23-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
"the rotation is what makes the trick."

not entirely true. Byerly invented the trick with the grab. I think a legit Pete has to have a grab. Otherwise maybe just a ts back mobe? I don't know...
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-23-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
so in other words, you don't have to grab it at all to be a legit Pete?
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-23-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
no...is a tantrum a tantrum without a grab? is a crow a crow without a grab? and what about a 3 is it considered a 3 without a grab? of course it is...the grab just puts a little taste on it, and if you tweak it it's just a little style to it. Grabs definitly made any trick much harder, but you cannot take away a trick from someone just because its not grabbed...imo
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-23-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
byerly invented it with a melan grab (not nose), so imo, a pete isn't a pete w/o a melan grab.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-23-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
If i got to a comp and throw a TS backroll with a FS 3, no grab I would be willing to guess I'm getting judged on doing a Pete.... thats my logic on that the flip+spin= Trick
Old    justinh            05-23-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
First, you need to realize that most wakeboard terminology is pretty stupid. In fact, the only thing dumber is discussing the terminology like it isn't silly/arbitray in the first place.

Pointless conversations:
"Which trick is harder?"
"Is this a real grab?"
"Switch vs. Fakie"
"Is ____ a mobe?"

My latest favorite:
"What makes a grab a move?"

My advice is to come up with a meaning in your own heart and live by it. Or just don't worry about it.

--yeah I used a smilie, what's it to you!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-23-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
I dont know, this one is hard to handle. I personally think that you have to grab the board in order to make it a pete, grab it anywhere. Even tindy!

But that raises other questions like on a like a Batwing, does it have to be grabbed indy in order for it to me a Batwing? If I grab it Roastbeef, seatbelt, tail, whatever grab it is, is it still a batwing? Or a toeside tail Glide? I have been in tons of comps where a Toeside Roastbeef glide and other variations are judged as a batwing.
Old    K.B.C.            05-23-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hey Joe, didn't Byerly invent it with a slob?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-23-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Justin,

Oh my Rookie. Welcome to wakeworld.com I see your only 50 some posts deep. I dont really like to rip up newbies but come on man. If you dont like talking about wakeboard terminology, which trick is harder, is this a real grab, switch vs fakie, I suggest you hang out on a different site. Maybe www.iamtoocoolforwakeworld.com Otherwise you are going to crazy here, being that 50% of the thread started have those exact discussions going on.

And oh by the way, the thread I started was, "When grabs becomes moves or trick." You were real close tho- real close.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-23-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
hmmm....the longest post in the thread from the one who called the thread "pointless"....interesting.....

jeff: none of those tricks were invented with an inherent grab, so of course no grab is required to claim them....

joe: my mistake...I thought he invented it with nose grab.

either way....I'm leaning towards if the trick was first done and named with a particular grab (regardless of how nonsensical that name), I think technically that specific grab is required to claim that trick.

and for all the haters: of course it doesn't REALLY matter....but it sure is an easy way to kill time before the long weekend!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-23-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
amen eric!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Andy, Alex always grabs his Batwings nose and it is still scored as a Batwing.

Upload
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-23-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
well that's a bunch of bullcrap!!!

just kidding!!!!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
Eric, we going to be seeing you next week? Ryan getting and riding in this week?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-23-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Randy that photo is sick, that with the new camera?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-23-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
I do my petes melan, if i dont get the grab i eat it hard
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
No from last year, I thought it was on your lake??? I will be rocking my 40-D from your boat in a couple of weeks
Old    K.B.C.            05-23-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
^^^^seatbelt not nose
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Scott, maybe, but when they anounce it at the tour stops they call it a nose grab batwing.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
I remember byerly saying the grab made the move easier to learn and do when he first did it.....
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-23-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
Randy: yea...he's been taking it easy (read: fishing)....following doctor's orders. we saw him sunday and he pulls up in an old a$$ tri-hull holding this 50lb stringer of catfish. that kid will do anything in water! I am planning on making the trip as of right now...see you there.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-23-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
Randy

HAHAHAHAHA THAT is totally my lake.
Old    justinh            05-23-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Andy, the link did not work. It redirected me to message that it was for sale. $7.99 for 2 years--seems cheap.

I am a newbie to this forum and my attempt at humor/poking fun obviously fell short. This website has a lot of useful information. I rarely post, but I often read it for encouragement, inspiration, information and a little wakeboard news.

I am sorry that me thinking your topic was silly upset you. I will do better to remember my place.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-23-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding trick names will never make sense unless you start over at the beginning. It is what it is.

As for Andy v. Justin, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Justin may have something worth saying about wakeboarding...judging by this video, probably sarcastically:

http://www.wakepics.com/video/12968/the-captain-of-her-heart
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-23-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Alright.. All I wanna know is who else clicked on Andy's link http://www.imtoocoolforwakeworld.com cause I did!
Old    K.B.C.            05-23-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
WOW, good find Brian. I'd say Justin has every right to discuss wakeboarding on this forum. He kills it...and sweet vid Justin!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
Andy, I fell over laughing. I read Harelson's post, then I noticed you posted right after he called you and about 50% of WW stupid. I took his post seriously at first, I thought he was just gonna say I don't like the names, just go out and have fun... Personally what Justin H thinks is stupid, I enjoy discussing. Justin H thinks I'm Stupid...
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-23-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
BTW I guess technically a pete rose isn't a pete rose unless you catch a toe edge and fly out of your bindings like pete rose slidin into home plate.... technically of course....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-23-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
awesome. thanks trevor.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-24-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
How's that workin out for you Trevor?