Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-16-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I'm looking for anyone out there you can directly compare the wake from a 2000 vlx (or any other year with that hull) to a super sport nautique (basically a SAN). I'm in the market but have never ridden behind a vlx nor do I know anyone who has. Unfortunatey the SAN is pretty much the only thing I have to compare it to, beside an x10 with factory ballast that we ride behind a couple times a year. I know the wakes will be completely different but I'm hoping somebody out there can shed some light on some specifics. I'm really hoping to find a PS205v somewhere but including the vlx into my search may help speed the process. Thanks!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-16-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
My friend has a VLX, we have a Supersport

I like our wake waaaaay more...but then again I have owner's glasses. It takes far less weight to get the same amount of size... and with ours you can really control the shape...
normal weight placement = Steep SAN kick
lots of bow weight = really mellow with a lot of transition

The VLX has a good shape for all riders, easy for people learning to progress...to get it really meaty and nice it takes about 2 times the weight of the SAN.

If it was me all over again, we had the same choice:
98 VLX - 22k (tower and ballast/wedge)
99 205V - 23k (PP tower and ballast )
95 Supersport - 18k (but had no tower or ballast)

The 205v was a close second, but it didn't have full-wrap seating so it lost value to me for that reason...and it needed about 500/600 more lbs. to get the wake as good as I would have liked...
more weight = more power = more gas
no good.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-16-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
I have an 06 Vride and a good friend of mine has an 03 Supersport.

I would say they are two very different wakes, but what do you like to ride behind. I find the nautique wake to be firm and vertical. I think the wake is a lot of fun and can understand why people like it. However I still like my vride/vlx wake better just because with a little more weight the malibu wake is a lot more forgiving and easier my knees.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-16-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
The VLX will have a longer transition not as vert and good size overall. You will have to rely on your skills more on this wake, but it can be much more forgiving.

The SAN will have a short transition, be very vert, and a lot harder. You can take a much lazier cut into this wake and still get booted.

For reference I own a VLX and I ride with 2 other people regularly who own SAN's. It's all in what YOU want out of the wake and what will suit YOUR style the best.
Old     (jroth97gt)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-17-2008, 3:30 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I knew the SAN would definitley be steeper with the shorter transition. A little bit mellower wake wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for me (and my toeside edge)though. Can anyone compare the widths? I know the SAN will be narrower but is it really noticeable?
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-17-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
SAN is definitely narrower for me...ride a good 5ft longer, but I thought the wake was better further back anyway.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-17-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Yah, generally I ride 5-10 ft longer behind a SAN than a Bu.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-17-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
We have adjusted our cuts and ride about the same on both boats here. Even though the SAN is narrower the BU will kick you "out" further. At least that has been our experience.