Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-07-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
Ok, so there has been all kinds of debate and opinions on the new design of the xstar and its price. What I would like is for you who own one, or who are purchasing one to tell us why you made the x-star your choice. Maybe this will help others understand a little more about the new boat and what it is offering you over the other brands you looked at. No boat has ever caused this much debate.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-07-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
why do the people that are buying them have to justify to the rest of the world why they bought that particular boat..... what about maybe they just like it. maybe they are loyal to the brand...... I think that the big hang up that everyone has with this boat is the $$$$.... and if you don't have the money you start bashing and raging about all the rich people buying these boats.... just like all the people on here bashing Nautique owners and Nautiques for being over priced and snobby and everything else. Come on people...... give it a F'in rest already! Give big props to MC for their marketing..... look at all the talk and hype that has been generated....= boat sales
Old    mike_mike            08-07-2003, 11:17 AM Reply   
i saw it at a competition and the wake was huge, whatever those people are talking about are stupid cus that wake is HUGE THEY GO SO HIGH, dude 420 sweet man
but they go really HIGH, dude you wanna get high
sweet.

NOW IF A BOAT HAD DINOSAURS IN IT OMG THAT WOULD BE AWESOME
I WOULD BUY ONE AND HAVE MY DINOSAURS EAT THE GUY THAT IS SELLING THEM AND THEN TAKE THE REST AND RULE THE WORLD WITH DINOSAURS.
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-07-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
Dinosaurs SUCK!!!!!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-07-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
Ok. Whatever. I was pretty much just looking for the comparisons to other boats from first hand experience from actual owners and soon to be owners. Has nothing to do with "justifying" Their decision. Has to do with the features that made them make the purchase. It would let all of us who have not been on one or seen one in person know what the boat is all about. No need to get all your panties in a bunch over it.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-08-2003, 7:17 AM Reply   
Andrew... I thought your question was a good one. As far as the responses you have received, well.... I will hold my comments.

As I have stated before, a know if someone(colleague of my wife) who purchased a '03 X-Star. I am under the impression that he did it because he has a bit of cash and it was(is) going to be one of the finest wakeboard boats out there. Like most people who bought the '03 X-Star he ordered it "sight unseen." I would also go as far as to say that like the majority of the people who have an '03 X-Star, the ability to hit double-ups to stick 900's was not really a consideration. It was a Mastercraft that is huge(relative to the flagship wake boats), but wake specific.

Anyway.....it is early and a Friday.... I had nothing to do and your question caught my eye. I guess we will continue to wait for a response from someone who actually paid or is paying for the boat.

E.J.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-10-2003, 10:37 PM Reply   
Alex did you have your coffee the morning you posted that?? Sounds like your just trying to convince yourself that your overpriced boat was a good deal also Just because someone markets the hell out of something (fram oil filters) doesnt mean the product is all that great, or overcharges for it. Andrew i think it realy has to be broken down into the parts that make up a wakeboard boat, wake quality(including ballast system), stereo system (minimum 1500 watts-purely my opinion), storage for days, and horsepower for days would be my main objectives when looking for a pure board boat.
Old    tattoobling            08-11-2003, 6:20 AM Reply   
It's really big, holds a bunch of people, that big bow is nice. The wake is enormous, nice long rampy approach too. The ride in rough water is amazing. Once you ride in and behind one you see where all that money goes. It is the cadillac of wakeboard boats.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-11-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
Ive ridden behind them on several occasions. They are definitley a step ahead of anything else on the market in 03. The construction, details, performance, and all the small new ideas make this boat incredible! The wake with just the factory ballast is impressive, and is crazy with a little added weight.

Im no brand loyalist (actually I prefer Supra's) but this boat is the best boat on the water.

The problem IS the price. There isnt a wakeboard boat on the planet worth $70K of someones hard earned money. Heck, I have a hard time with $50K!!! But, I will say this, if I won the Lotto and had millions to piss away, I would buy the X-Star hands down. As much as I hate to say it, its the best thing out there right now.

Ive seen sneak peaks of some of the '04 Supra stuff. So I wouldnt right that check to MC just yet!

Jason
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-11-2003, 8:06 AM Reply   
Bob-
IMO my "overpriced" boat was worth every penny.... I would much rather pay 45k for my boat than 70k for the X-star..... My boat was a super deal... I don't need to "convince" myself of that. I am just sick of all the people on here blabbing on and on about the price of this boat and how revolutionary it is and everything else.... I have ridden behind one and it is not all that different from any other boat out there..... I just don't see what all the hype is about. If you ask me, MC is hurting the other boats out there by making people think that they have to pay 70k to get a great boat when that is not the case. All this will do is cause other manufacturers to raise their prices.... isn't wakeboarding expensive enough already??? I read somewhere that wakeboarding is the second most expensive sport behind auto racing..... and then all these people get on here and start bitching about all the "rich" people and their x-stars and SANTEs and how the regular guy has a hard time affording this sport...... like I said before GIVE IT A REST!!!! buy whatever boat suits you the best and enjoy it.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-11-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
I agree with what Jason says (actually riden w/ him behind the same boat). I've got a 2002 XStar (X2) and now have had the chance to ride behind the 2003. They are definite differences between the 2 boats. My boat puts out a very peaky, vertical wake whereas the 03 puts out the longest, rampiest wake you've ever seen. The wake is so long it takes a few set to get used to where the pop is. It's money once you do though.

I can say that the interior on this boat is BY FAR the best on the market right now. When I rode it last we had 7 guys + gear + coolers and there was not one thing on the floor of the boat. The rear lockers take any size of boards and the passenger storage compartment is just ridiculous. The bow seating arrangement is unreal - two people can comfortably stretch out and watch the riding (something which cannot be done in mine). The gauge cluster is really awesome to see in person.

The negatives I see about this boat are obviously the price, the cost to maintain - a 60gallon gas tank is a chunk of change to fill, and then a few minor things that each boat has.

I love my X2 and would probably go that way again due to my love for a peaky wake and the amount of $$ I'd save, but if I had the means I would definitely buy a new XStar.