Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-27-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
https://www.waterskis.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WakeKite+Superfly+P ackage

discuss
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
this would be huge on the delta
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-27-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
I know letting go of the handle is a no no in our sport. But i would imagine it could cause some serious injury in that sport, for instance say falling from 30 feet. It has never occurred to me as safe if you were to jump from a 30' bridge with a wakeboard strapped to your feet. Alot could go wrong. Most likely, worst nut slaps ever.

Also it appears like you really need to have a good pop to get that thing working for you. That limits it appeal to a smaller crowd.

Also, just looks lame. Steez and a large inflatable kite don't really go together.

In summary, not really that cool.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-27-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
I'm seeing Wego Fly Tube all over again.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-27-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I don't see how that would be more fun than wakeboarding. It looks like it would limit your tricks. I don't see how you could do any inverts. I may be wrong though. I think that you could do some crazy raleys though. I would try if someone I knew had one.
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
looks like it could be good to learn raleys....at least the first motion...not coming down
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
I would like to see it at Niagra Falls, lots of air time. LOL
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-27-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
I talked to the guys who designed it at Expo and they said there is no way you could take off like a kite tube. They also acknowledged that at present inverts would be impossible, other than raleys, but expect it to evolve as the sport grows. The biggest thing they said is that it allows you to get massive air, long hang times but really soft landings. I'd try it.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-27-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
I see a lot of issues with it. I would think that the Delta would be one of the worst places for it.

I would expect wind direction to be a key factor. On a lake you can always pick a spot and have a relatively long run in one direction. Pick the initial direction with the wind in mind and you should be okay. On the delta, you can't go very far before the slough forces you to turn.

On a lake, there isn't much to run into. On the delta, there are a bunch of bridges which you wouldn't want to pull that under. At least a bridge would be obvious to the boat driver. Less obvious are overhead power lines crossing the channels, that could get really nasty.

A lot of the sloughs are fairly narrow. If you had to pass another boat you might be forced close to a levee. It wouldn't be good if a gust of wind picked up the chute and carried the rider over the levee instead of being over water.

A lot of big yachts on the delta. You could be turning a corner, encounter a yacht going the other way and end up with the chute tangled in the yachts flybridge.

It might be a little more fun than parasailing, but it doesn't look like it would be that entertaining
Old     (wakerider900)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-27-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
Does CWB make this?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-27-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
"I would think that the Delta would be one of the worst places for it."

Rod, I certainly could have made it more clear, but that was the joke .
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-27-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
Looks like kite surfing to me.
http://kitesurfingschool.org/
Old    K.B.C.            10-28-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
no thanks, looks like training wheels for real wakeboarding
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-28-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Im with KYBOOL, looks like something for the tourists i.e parasailing.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Mike murhpy, aren't you the sky ski guy??? Talk about a lame product. lol. No wonder you'd trash a new idea ;)
Old    K.B.C.            11-08-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
wrong Mike Murphy and yes this stupid kite is a LAME product as well
Old    riverside_drive            11-08-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Probly the same guy. I'd hide my identity too if I was connected with sky ski.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Scott, have you tried it yet??? Glad to know there are people that can call the ball on things with ZERO experience. Indeed, I have not ridden it yet, so it may be lame (I'll admit it), but until I do try, I'll keep an open mind. I was one of the first wakeskaters, when everyone was calling that gay. And yes, Sky Skis suck! Sore back, too expensive, etc.
Old    K.B.C.            11-08-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
I watched the video, that was enough. LAME
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Are you kidding me?? the video looks sick!!!!!! I haven't seen airs pulled like that on any wakeboard set-up, except maybe Parks. How can that be lame??
Old    K.B.C.            11-08-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
nope it's lame
Old    riverside_drive            11-08-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
I bet scott thought the internet was lame until he looked around, saw evryone else had it and then burried himself in wake chats to gain street cred. he'll be claiming he liked it first when it's huge
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
The beauty of wakeboarding its its simplicity for the rider. you just throw on a board and go. What sux about wakeboarding is having to follow a boat everywhere which requires boatable water.

The beauty of kiteboarding is that you are not restricted by the limitations and cost of a boat. you can go ride your wakeboard anywhere and rip without spending a dime on gas. what sux abuot kiteboarding is the technical knowledge needed and technical setup.

So, lets take what sux about wakeboarding, and what sux about kiteboarding and combine them!!!!

(Message edited by jason_ssr on November 08, 2006)
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-08-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Jason. Nicely stated
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Jason, by your logic, when wakeboarding was first invented, you would say, "what sucks about wakeboarding is you take the most minimal fun of surfing and throw it behind a boat..??" Of course, that's not true.. So... only by combining two ingredients do you get something new. Key word being new. Regardless of the recipe, the air experience with a wakekite (looks to be) different than either sport influence. Hence, new tricks, new experience. Isn't this all supposed to be about having fun?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Yes, I wasnt addressing the fun. The Wego was fun for some! It combined the fun of tubing with the fun of flight. They sold alot of them. Im addressing the risk, the cost, and the longevity of your investment. im not trying to keep you from having fun. I see you looking at a technology that Im familiar with with doe eyes. I just wanted to inject a little reality along with it.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Perhaps Jason works for the competition?? lol.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-08-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
So like kiteboarding you are cheating and letting the kite pull you up in the air? (Yes, I know of and respect "powered manoeuvres" in kiteboarding, but most I see here just let the kite pull them in the air)
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Nope, I want you to get it, and ride it for 4 months. Then come re-read my posts and PM me with your new found understanding.

I promise I wont be TOO "I told you so."
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-08-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
c'mon Scott. Imagine the huge Raley's you could do with that thing. The no handle pass, no invert thing is lame to me. I'd give it a try for sure. I'd be curious what'd happen if you tried to edge hard with that thing. I'd imagine it'd be like dragging an anchor.

Definitely one step up from a sky ski, but thumbs down in general.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-08-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
why would someone buy this without trying it out? because they're going fast and you will probably not be able to buy one in the spring? hahahaha,
Randy, we all work for the competition, its a conspiracy, if everyone had one of these, wakeboarding wouldn't be any fun.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
....or maybe I work for THEM, and Im keeping the threads going with reverse psychology.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Jason, you're a kiteboarder it seems...stick to your own posts... Let wakeboarders decide their territory. But thanks for the perspective anyways....
Old    riverside_drive            11-08-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
well said randy. may i add that jason may not even want to return to his posts as his homeys on there probly think he talks to much is closed minded...just a though.
Old     (ballsdeep)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-08-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
looks like for 1500 bucks I can finally go w2w.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
haha, I was a wakeboarder long before kiteboarding was invented.

You guys will see, just trying to save you some money.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-08-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
Yeah, Jason is a lousy, no-skills kiteboarder. Right. Oh - who can practically publish the book on learning whatever trick you have in mind and is more respectful than most anyone I see posting.

I'm behind ya', JG - I say we wait for the first 2 times someone decides to gun the throttle for the heck of it and someone lands on a rock. They should add a skull-and-crossbones graphic while they're at it.

It's not like kiteboarding, it's not like wakeboarding - it's like trying to fly a kite while you ride. That's gotta be a blast. (and it's not a raley when your arms are over your head like a monkey)
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
http://www.kiteflix.com/wipeout.html
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-08-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
holy crud. there you have it - was he harnessed in and it just disconnected?

This thing doesn't even have a harness - so you go up high when the goofball driver guns it and have to hang on to the 'carbon fiber handle' for dear life.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-08-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
yep, loop busted and it shook him loose.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-08-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
ghey.
but it looks like we all came to that conclusion already.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-08-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
I think Randy (flying toaster) has stock in HO...
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-08-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
I wish anodyne. Guess we'll see what it's like (or not) when some of the more adventurous of us give it a ride. The rest of this naysaying is tiring. I'd just rather see what it's all about before trying to judge. But then what would the fun of these chat sites be?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-08-2006, 11:42 PM Reply   
LAME.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-09-2006, 1:00 AM Reply   
exactly Randy!!

I try to mix things up a bit... without controversy, forums would be lifeless. Sorry if I came across as a jerk or a naysayer, i was just trying to get a good conversation started!

And that makes 2 of us that wish we had stock in HO. They're doing alright for sure.
Old     (flyingtoaster2)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-10-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yeah....HO, throw me a bone....I'm here keepin' it real for your new product and should be cut in... I need some wake kite gear, a nice new boat, some stock, and a place on the HL team! Hook a brotha up!!!
Old     (jnelson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-10-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
No one is tring to offend your core wakeboard belifs. No one is tring to replace your second daily set of wakeboarding with a kite. I know several guys around dads age that are loving this idea. Now they have a way to go out and do something behind the boat, with their kids that they bought the boat for. Guys if you don't like it then don't buy it.