Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    waterdog2            08-12-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
Any tip's about drilling and cutting holes in fiberglass would be greatly apreciated
Old    cowie            08-12-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
I have limited experience( installed PPass and tower) but here are a few tips. Always drill from the outside in, if possible. Use masking tape pressed down well over the area you are going to drill / cut and drill through it. Also we found scribing the gelcoat with a compass on the cut line prior to cutting eliminated any spider cracking in the gelcoat ( along with the masking tape). If possible use a new holesaw even for small holes. We had one that was 3/8 for tower bolt holes and it worked well. PPass holse was like 1 1/2 inch. PS new hole saw made all the difference.
Old    oshensurfer            08-12-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
Blue tape. Reverse drill first with a hole saw. Same thing as the compass tip. Use wd40 and drill away.

Are you using a hole saw or just drilling? If your just drilling, try to use a counter sink bit.

(Message edited by oshensurfer on August 12, 2004)
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-12-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
Hold a shop vacuum next to the hole you are drilling. No mess. And yes I agree, use tape.
Old    tommyadrian5            08-13-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
yea, tape, and a new bit

if you're gelcoat is quality you won't crack it at all, scoring it before isn't necessary.

I did try to drill a second hole with the original holesaw, and it took about 5 times as long, so a new one is probably a good idea.

Oh yeah, make sure you are drilling in the right spot, then double check it about 30 times.

Shop vac is a good idea, long sleeve shirt too (fiberglass dust burns and itches).
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-13-2004, 7:57 AM Reply   
As Scott said....DRILL IN REVERSE! I cannot stress how important this is. If you don't you will run the risk of chipping the gel coat around the hole. Drilling in reverse eliminates this problem.
Old    waterdog2            08-13-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
All your help is greatly apreciated. Can you use a jigsaw to cut out holes, I need to cut out a rectangular hole for a stereo, scares the heck out of me. What about a rotozip? Thanks again.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-13-2004, 7:40 PM Reply   
Rotozip works great. Buy good bits for it, you'll need them. And go slow, don't force the bit, it will break. It will wonder a little bit so watch it.
Old     (djpurnell)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-15-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
always countersink holes from the gelcoat side to stop spider cracks
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-15-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
If your gonna cut out a hole with a jig saw,roto zip,then you should drill the corners(in reverse).
Sort of a dot to dot trick.
Old    oshensurfer            08-16-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
Just my .02 but I wouldn't use a rotozip. They have a tendency to get away from you. Trust me, you don't want to make a mistake on your gel coat. You only get one shot.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
If you are using a jigsaw, they make some abrasive blades for composite materials. They are not toothed like normal blades, but have a bead of abrasive welded to the front. I have not used it on fiberglass, but they work really nice on some other materials that don't cut that well with a toothed blade.

As with anything new, try it on a safe place first or on a piece of scrap.
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-16-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
You can use a Rotozip or even a Dremel tool with router bits. I used a Dremel with a cutting attachment and it really helps to keep it stable. Use a fresh bit for each hole - really makes a difference.
Old    ag4ever            08-16-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
I used a regular hole saw to drill the hole in my dash for my defroster vent, and went in forward with no problems, but then again I have a CC, and their gell is really thick.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-16-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
I used a rotozip to cut 6x9 speaker holes with no problems. Didn't use a drill bit to start either, just used to rotozip. Mask it first, mark the tape and go slow.
Old    waterdog2            08-16-2004, 5:18 PM Reply   
Thank's again for everyones help! I think I have enough courage to do it now. Wich tape works best? low tack, tuck,or masking?
Old    oshensurfer            08-17-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
Blue painters tape. Use the wide type or it may bind on you.