Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-14-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
Are the Walker Comp X's as delicate as their reputation? How do they compare to their $600 boards? I'm more familiar with IS's construction which has held up well for us needing only occasional patching.
Old    surfdad            03-14-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
We got a chance to ride one of the new '08 Comp X's - two weekends ago I think. In '07 and previous years the Comp X's were straight laminated 2 pound EPS - no stringers. For the most part those are pretty solid, but on a deep water start or someone too big for the board it could and DID snap.

Also, land from this height and it could break. The board in that picture has a stringer and is glassed light - 4 oz bottom and 4/4 top. Typically Mike would use 6 oz for production boards and you can always ask for a heavier lamination schedule.

Mike has addressed that by inserting a stringer into the board. As such, they are similar in construction to one off boards. It also felt like the lamination schedule was heavier...but I am just guessing on that last part.

Inland's have a layer of wood on the deck and bottom. That makes them pretty much bullet-proof, with the drawback of weight. The comp X is probably 2 pounds less than the 4skim. However, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone snapping an IS while riding.

The high end boards are truly performance boards built for a specific person, YOU. :-) For the most part, stock boards like any of the IS's or the Comp X fit a pretty broad segment of folks, but for custom performance nothing beats having a board built for you.

The board in this picture is 3 years old, but it's got some dings and dents, as well as, severe footprints on the deck...and we treat it pretty well - my guess is that an IS treated like this wouldn't even have a scratch.

In short - the reputation of the Comp X was earned, but was probably overblown for most folks. However, Mike has made an effort to address it, because...they did break in certain circumstances.

Upload
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-14-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
thanks. I am looking to take the level of performance up a notch from IS and don't quite know were to go. don't exactly have 600 lying around either and there's virtually nil used. any other suggestions??
Old    surfdad            03-14-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
I think the TWP Comp X line for '08 will be durable enough for the masses. I wouldn't write it off yet. This is a picture of Dennis who is 250+ on a comp X 5.0. The stringer addition seems to have rectified any breaking issues.

Upload

Another board that I think has GREAT potential is the Triple X pin. Divinycell core and S glass lamination. I haven't ridden one yet, but at $269 that price beats the big 3's popouts and seems to have all the right stuff. Worth checking out.

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/3x.php
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-14-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
Not sure where the $600 comes from. The custom boards all retail at $460 and the composite X line are at $325. The build of this years Composite X is different and stronger than in the past. To be clear I am a Sales Rep for The Walker Project. The Composite X I rode last year did not have any problems. I weigh 270 or so and I don't boost any kind of air LOL.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-15-2008, 3:49 AM Reply   
When I looked at the comp x's you had to pay an extra 100 for eps an s glass. if you wanted traction it was another 50 or so.
The custom boards got expensive in a hurry also, hitting 600 pretty easily.
Even IS is slowly climbing- green is now 495, 4skim is 480.
This is before shipping...
Old    surfdad            03-15-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
If I'm not mistaken the Comp X's have always been EPS - I don't think there was an option of an S glass for $100 on that product, but antifanboi is right on the custom boards, they are $460, but that is for PolyU an eps with epoxy is $100 more and full traction is $60, so that retails at $620.

I think that Trick Boardz will have the lowest retail price of any of the manufacturers with his new production methodology, the Triple X is next in line...if price is the major concern.

Have you ever thought of making your own? It's by far the cheapest way to get a custom high performance stick, if a bit messy. :-)
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-15-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
I really liked the walker. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one. I assume that "3G" refers to the newer, stronger version of the comp x-can any one confirm this? Thanks!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-15-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Yes the G3 is the newer stronger version. Which Comp X are you looking at?
Old    surfdad            03-15-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Actually I think it's G3 - the folks at wakeoutlaws were/are offering a custom TWP 4.5 and had this blurb over at wakesurf magazine:

http://wakesurfmag.com/news3.html#1

In that blurb they refer to the G2 as 2007 and the G3 as the 2008 model year. I just noticed that they seem to be selling that board with full traction for 330 and a flat rate 30 shipping. Isn't that cheaper than a standard from TWP?

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/itemdetail.php?item_id=IG1199312269I477c0d8d8f376
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       03-15-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Yes that is a killer deal for the limited addition board.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-15-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
I'm looking at a G3 4.5 (4'6")... That's a killer deal as long as you dig the skull dealieo and the gold. Shipping direct form walker is about $20 plus minus.
Thanks guys!
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-15-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Hey all - retailer spam.

I don't need to add to Jeff & Dennis, they got it right on construction & the 08 G3's. The only point I'll make is that TWP is hands down more expensive than wakeoutlaws.com since that's how the dealer agreement works. It's always more to buy any item direct...That's how the manufacturer takes care of their dealers.

antifanboi - TWP is not 20+ cheaper, that's naked stock and no traction. You add the full deck it's $385 w/ stock graphics. I see their site is not calculating shipping which appears to be cheaper, but I assure you TWP has no free shipping.

Just an FYI.

As for the G3 Limited, it is the cheapest CompX stick ever and we rolled shipping and traction into the deal, it is smoking. I honestly don't know what's left, we only had 50 made. Just some clarity.

<end>