Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-07-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 Glastron 20 footer that is about 3200lbs. Loaded with 6 people it is about an extra 1200-1500lbs. Would adding ballasts of about 600lbs be worth it in a runabout? Should I just save my money and not even bother?

I know there is no black and white answer but...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Got anyone you could borrow a sack and test it out first?
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-07-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
I wish! I could get about 500 zip loc bags and put them in my ski locker :-)
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-07-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
Todd,

My friend has a SX195. We put a 500lb sac in the ski locker and fill it as much as we can (prob about 400lbs). It definatly makes a difference in the wake size. We usually have to trim down until it planes and then we trim it about half up. It is best to ride at short line lengths of about 65ft on his boat. When there are just two of us he also adds about 200lbs of lead to the rear of the boat. The wake is really not bad at all for a runabout. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Mike
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-07-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
I definitely think that adding some weight to the boat is a worthwhile investment. Plus, if you upgrade in the future, you can always take that ballast with you.

Something like the Fly High Pro X Rear Seat Sac would be a fantastic choice, will make a noticeable different in wake quality, and can be used in any boat down the road.

Jason
www.wakeside.com
simple is better
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-07-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Todd
I have some zip-loc bags I can send you.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-08-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
can someone post pics of any i/o wakes with and/or without ballast? and also trimmed down and trimmed up?
ill try to post on sunday or monday seen as we are going on the lake sunday
i notice a huge difference in the size from trimming, just wondering if there would be a big change if weight was added.
we usually run with 6 people in the boat (or more)
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
That is a good idea, I would love to see those pics as well. I have never trimmed up so I will try that Sunday with 7 people on board.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-08-2006, 2:39 PM Reply   
You've never trimmed up? Oh, you'll seriously notice an automatic difference. By trimming up, the engine runs the back end into the water more (it's a ghetto wedge ;)). haha.

This is my 17' with the trim up and just myself. I'm actually adding ballast this Sunday(700lbs) for the first time, and I'll take pictures so you can see a before/after thing.

Upload
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-08-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
cody, youre the man!
i swear, that is my wake right there!!
mine looks EXACTLY the same!! roughly how many people were in the boat on that day?

todd, i didnt get my driver (also my dad!!) to trim up until about 6 months after i first got up. you will notice a huge difference in the amount of wash on the lip of the wake.
my wake looked almost the same as the washy part of cody's wake but throughout the whole wake. if that makes any sense.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-08-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
one more thing for cody, what prop are you using? 3 blade? 4 blade?
thanks
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-08-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Hey sam,

There was no one in the boat besides myself (I was looking back over my shoulder to take the picture), and no ballast in the boat, just trimming the engine up. I use a three blade prop, 17 pitch I believe. I have no problem getting out of the hole at all, even with alot of people.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Excellent, I use a propulse 4 blade 14.5 X 20. I will have about 1000-1300lbs tomorrow and I wiil trim it up and see what happens.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-08-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
ok
ill try to get pics tomorrow
Old     (emay)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-08-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
I have a 23ft Chaparral 230 SSI, I have 600 in the back, 400 in the bow, 250 in the ski locker. Makes a huge difference in the wake versus unweighted. Definately do yourself the favor of weighting the boat. That and trimming properly will get you a very nice wake. Money well spent.

Putting the 400 in the bow cleaned the white wash I had. I suggest playing around with people for weight if you get the chance, so you can see the differences in placement.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-09-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
Well, we went out on the boat today. I have to say, trimming out the boat made a HUGE difference! It was night and day, thanks for the tip. I had a total of 5 people out so with an extra 500 LBS, I will have a pretty nice sized wake. I have never gotten that much air. It was great.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-09-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
I knew you'd love that trimmin up tip, it seriously is night and day.

I went out today, with 5 people and about 500 lbs of ballast (700lbs bags but they weren't completely full) also! We were really happy with it, minus the poor conditions (windy and a lil chilly). Here is a couple pics of the wake from today:

My buddy Matt:
Upload
Bout to head out after pickin up some extra lifejackets, we weren't exactly CGA:
Upload

The good part:
Upload
Upload
Old    army_of_one            04-10-2006, 12:32 AM Reply   
Cody,

What marina is that in your pics?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-10-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
Ft. Loudon Marina in Lenoir City, TN.
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-10-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
man, you call those bad conditions?
lol
from what i see, the water looks pretty nice.
sorry, i didnt get any pics of the wake trimmed up, we were too busy staying away from a 23/24 foot malibu that should have never been on the lake. worst conditions ive ever ridden in.
still, better than staying home.

sam