Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
I was just wandering what yall do to keep from getting sun burn. Do yall recoat a lot or just have a good remedy. I usually try to put on more as the day goes by because sunburn and hitting water at 20 doesnt feel too good.

thanks
Old    haggard0101            03-24-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
umm i prefer, just getting burnt the first day. then i dont get burnt the rest of the season.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-24-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Bimni and SPF 50 several times when out on the water all day... I am albino as they come but this seems to work ok.
Old     (hires_55)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 11:16 PM Reply   
I use the Coppertone sport. I comes in a blue spray bottle...it is waterproof, sweatproof, and is formulated so it isn't all greasy so you don't have problems w/getting it off your hands. It is easy to apply and I usually just reapply after I get out of the water. It is also best if you apply sunblock an hour before you go out in the sun.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
The best stuff in the world is zinc. You know the brightly coloured stuff from the 80's. Except now it comes in clear, and isnt creasy so no slippy handle.
I usually find a good cap protects your nose pretty well.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2006, 12:24 AM Reply   
Coming from a pale toe head, I usually take a few burns a year. Follow the directions on the sunscreen. Put a good layer on before you leave the house in the morning. then after you ride put another good layer on. If you start to feel warm turn over. SPF 35.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2006, 12:41 AM Reply   
haha i am silly i use neutrogena spf 45. sunburn is not your friend
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-25-2006, 5:01 AM Reply   
Red hair, very fair skin...I do at least a month of tanning bed twice a week for 7 minutes at a time before May 1st. Then I use at least SPF 15-30, whatever is on the boat.
I know the tanning bed isn't the greatest idea, but at least I won't fry out on the boat. It works for me...
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried one the full sleeve rash guards with uv protection in the heat of summer? Would they get too hot? My only reservation is looking like one of those dorks who wears a rash guard in a wakeboat...haha. :-)

I'm pale white also, I have to re-apply several times a day...it would save alot of time to not do chest, back, and shoulders with lotion.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
I often will wear a white long-sleeved rashie for sun protection. They don't get hot at all, actually cool you off as the water evaporates off of it. If you ride with style and skill then looking like a dork should not be a concern, but even if you don't, who cares? You won't feel like such a dork in 30 years when everybody has skin cancer except you. Kind of like all the dorks from high school now are big pimping, while the "popular" guys mostly are still living in the same small towns selling insurance or working for their dads.

The white rashie cannot be beat for convenience and comfort, I use Bullfrog for my face, neck and hands, stays on pretty well in water. The Neutrogena is good but requires more frequent reapplication.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
I have a black rash guard. It keeps me from burning, and when it does get hot, i jump in. I am pretty white, and it takes me most of the summer to tan. I start off the summer by wearing the rash for a majority of the day, and then as I slowly tan, use it less and less. That way if you miss a spot of sunscreen, or life jacket wipes it off, you don't have burn spots.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-26-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
I dont use anything. I dont burn. I just get more tan.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
I burn the first few times, then i just get tan the rest of the summer...by the end i've got some bad tan lines!