Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-21-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 model wakeboard boat that I bought new last year. I don't feel the need to mention brand for fear of starting another "brand X is crap" thread.

When I bought it literally off the showroom floor last year, I didn't notice it but there are two areas where the the gelcoat looks kind of like oxidation. It's not oxidation, but where the black was not spayed thick enough in the mold and white is showing through a little. The most noticeable area is about 3" x 4" and you have to stand within about 2 feet to see it.

I asked the dealer to have it fixed under warranty while I was out of town. I was suprised that this did not happen and was told that a factory rep looked at it and recommended not to fix it for fear of creating other problems such as orange peel". It's right above the rub rail and some of the area could be difficult to get right I guess.

Now, I try to be reasonable about these things but this is a $50K boat that I bought new. I understand that these boats are handmade and I admit that my hull has less imperfections some of the brand new 06' models still on the floor. But if I paid this kind of money for a car, you bet it would be fixed.

Has anyone else had this issue and what was done about it? Is it common? I wonder how much it depreciates the value of the boat?

I'll also add that I have had my share of issues with my boat and the dealer has bent over backwards to fix them and gave me a great price on the boat in the first place.