Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
I got a brand new boat that I bought late last season, 25 hours, sitting in my garage after a pretty bad foot injury that happened this spring.

Doctor tells me two days ago, that returning to work, let alone wakeboarding, is unlikely.

In this situation, how many of you would sell their wake boats? Wakeboarding has always been part of my boating experience, and never the sole reason for owning, or going out on my boat.

I'm kinda wondering if I should just sell, or just keep and enjoy as a boat, even if it won't be used much as wakeboard boat.

I'd hit up all the guys I promised a ride to here before selling. I know a lot of delta people are waiting to ride a Session loaded down. Maybe next week?
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-02-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Doctors are wrong all the time...

If I lived in Disco Bay there is no way I would sell my boat. Just my .02
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
keep the boat, take up wakesurfing, buy a roam and carve the sh** out of the delta!! i'll bet money that after shaun murray blew his knee to shreds the doc told him he'll never ride again. look at him. the news you got probably bummed you out, stay positve. you still will be able to do something water related. best of luck
Old    abadsvt            07-02-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
My Dad about 22yrs ago when head on with a semi truck while he was on a motorcyle. I am not sure how that happened but he hit the semi bounced off the truck flew backwards into a stop sign wrapping his back around the pole of the stop sign. He broke just about every bone in his body and the doctor said that he will never walk again and if for some reason he will be able to he will have a limp FOREVER. About 6months later he built a house since he had time off work and about 1 year later he was out in the dunes and rolled a dune buggy breaking a leg and fracturing a arm. The doctor couldn't believe it. (He had the same doctor for every one of his accidents). About 1 year after the dune buggy accident he was normal. He snowboards, rides motorcycles and so on. The moral to the story is doctors are by the book and if you have determination to get better and the drive to work at it you can do just about anything. Keep the boat and live up life. Just wait a little bit before you wakeboard. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

ps. He doesn't even limp!

(Message edited by abadsvt on July 02, 2006)
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
I had to ask my self the same question. I bought a brand New SV211 TE and first time out broke my leg in three places. 1 rod, five screws,& 3 months i was back on the water. I am just taking it easy riding switch carving and small w2w jumps.Just give it some time see how much you use the boat if you decide that you are done with water sports then sell. Good Luck
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-02-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
I like the idea about wakesurfing. I destroyed my knee Mem Day 2k4, so I spent that whole season just driving my friends. The 2k5 season I just wakeskated and wakesurfed because they are such low impact (compared to wakeboarding, for the most part), and now finally this season I'm back to wakeboarding.

Just hold on to it for a while, and not make a decision while frustrated.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
I'm remaining optimistic for a somewhat full recovery. I'll have my second surgery in about a month to clean up tendon and legiments, and remove the hardware (nine screws, and a plate just in the heal). That'll be #2 of 3 surgeries, the third probably atleast a year away to fuse my heal.

No offense to those that have had knee injuries, but kinda hard to compare. I've tore up both kness, one twice, and this injury makes everything else seem like a walk in the park. The pain the first two weeks alone was nothing I'd wish on anyone.

As of right now, I can drive and walk (with pain), so I'm pretty happy about that. I've spent the last 3 months at home, on crutches, and no driving. I was hoping to skate/surf, or light boarding by the end of sept., but with the way it's recovering (or lack of), I wont be. Now that I can get around, I'm looking forward to get the boat in the water, and just getting out.

I live right by Orwood's, so you delta people feel free to hit me up for a driver or third. I wouldn't even mind getting my boat out.

(Message edited by jeff359 on July 02, 2006)

(Message edited by jeff359 on July 02, 2006)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
remember doctors told darin shapiro in 1996 that he wouldn't be able to walk properly again let alone do any sports. just one example of many. chin up bro. wish you all the best!

If I were you though (but I'm not, lol) I would sell the boat for something cheaper and invest back in a wakeboat once you're up and running again. just a thought
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
Money really won't be the issue on selling the boat. I bought extremly low, had money from the sale of my malibu (which was paid off). I'm in a nice postion with my boat, low payments, and far from upside down equity was.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
ah hell then keep it then! lol.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-06-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
We have a similar situation - seems like every year something happens to us. 4 years ago, nerve injury in my arm, 3 years ago abdominal injury, 2 years ago MCL injury, last year bad ankle sprain. Something always cuts our season short, and we already have a short riding season. If that happens again this year, we will be selling our boat. It's too much money to be sitting there. We'd rather go back to a sport boat that at least we could go fishing in or cruising or do overnighters in the islands. The wakeboarding wouldn't be as good, but at least we'd be still on the water if we got injured.

Hope you're feeling better soon - being injured sucks.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-06-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Keep the boat so you can get back out once you get better. Hope you get better soon.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Jeff, I was told that I would never ride again. It was due to blowing my knee and tearing the mincuis in it. I can't do the tricks I used to but I still ride 4 to 5 times a week and have fun with my friends out on the water. Thats what its all about spending time with friends and having a good time. DON'T SELL THE BOAT.
Old     (clintc)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Similar situation here...I don't know if you guys are with me on this but just being on the water is relaxing & very therapeutic. I think you'd miss the atmosphere & enjoyment of owning a boat even though you are mostly driving.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-06-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
From experience, doctors are not always right. I chose to go to different doctors until I found one that believed that I could get better. I can still wakeboard, snowboard, surf, and skateboard when other doctors doubted I'd be able to enjoy those things like I used to. I admit I work harder to maintain the muscle groups that hold me together and enable me to function but even that has improved my riding.

Don't sell the boat...it's too early to make that decision. If you can still drive it, or when you can drive it, take out other people...hit them up for gas money, etc. There's lots of things you can learn by being the driver instead of the rider.

Personally...I'd never sell a boat just because of an injury. Hope you heal quickly and remember...most of your injury and how well you heal is based on your attitude and how badly you want to get better. Don't give yourself the option of not riding again...fight for it. It's worth it.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-06-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Never, My older brother keeps telling me how good I look driving. This after I broke my Femur wakeskating 10 days ago.
Old     (pink)      Join Date: May 2006       07-06-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
wakeboarding isnt just about riding its all about the lifestyle and if you cant ride, i know i get plesure from leting other kids that dont have boats but are into the whole thing ride just live the life of a wakeboarder
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
The question in my mind is there another hobby you could do with your injury. For example, I have my pilots license but find both boating and flying to be too expensive to do both. If I couldn't boat, I'd take the money and buy a plane. This is just my example - but it is something to think about...
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-06-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Yeah I understand about the severity of the injury compared to a knee thing... not apples to apples. No offense taken :-) Good luck
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-06-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
I injured my ankle pretty bad april 05, i took up wakesurfing to pass the time, it is not wakeboarding by any stretch of the imagination. I have tried to start wakeboarding again but am nowhere close to where I was, it is very frustrating. Take some good advice and seek a sports doctor hopefully you will recover quicker that way. I would sell it only if I was planning on getting a new boat next year anyway, but if you sell it are you going to party on the dock, that would suck.
Old     (wakekid72501)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I say do what you want to do. Does it matter what the doctor says?
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-07-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Justin, Only if you want to heal correctly.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-07-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
I say screw doctors, all they are doing is making an educated guess. Two months ago I a broke an arm and a leg. When I say broken I mean a total of 15 breaks, 6 hours of surgery, 18 screws, 3 plates and a pin. I'll ride by the end of the summer. My wife might divorce me and my mom might shoot me but I will ride again this year. (I got hurt at work not riding.)