Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
i put a new speaker box on my tower this spring. the box kicks a**. but it weights aroung 50lbs. my concern is eventually will the extra weight put too much stress on my tower and where its mounted on the boat? possibly void any factory warranties? i have an 04 vlx with a skylon tower. anyone have any info or experiences with excess weight on their towers?
Old    bigrich            06-27-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
I am no expert but 50 lbs. of extra weight on the tower should not be significant enough to stress the tower or mounting points. Imagine the stress of lets say a 200 pound rider in a full cut on the tower. Must be way more than 50 lbs. But again I am no expert. I also see boats everywhere with multiple speakers,racks,lights etc...
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-27-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
I dont see how it could void the warranty. If anything happens just take the box off.

I have the same tower and its not very rigid from side to side. I got a pair of Boss 530 and I got stress cracks at the mounts. Which were fixed under warrantee. But, they came right back. Dont know if it was from the extra speaker weight of just that the tower shakes a lot when going thru rough water of even just towing the boat down the road.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
S DUB,

stress cracks were on mine before i put the box on. i was thinking along the same line as you. if something ever happends i'll take the box off before it goes to the shop.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-27-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
50 lbs is nothing -- we surf sometimes w/ people riding on the tower... hahaha - i have 4 racks, i surf rack, light bar and speakers on my tower-- never had an issue...
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-28-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Sweet boat Tickle!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
I used to have a min of about 85-90lbs up to 120 or so on my tower (04 22SSV) I have stress cracks but nothin major. I haev since lightened the load, and gone with speakers that weigh a little less.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. i feel a little better. its not the extra 50 lbs hanging on the tower that bothers me but the extra "sway" from side to side that seems to happen when going thru some chop or ruff.