Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-24-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
Short version - we were houseboating in Shuswap Lake (BC, Canada) last weekend. We were beached and I had my boat tied to the back of my houseboat. Idiot in another houseboat is driving parallel to shore, ends up sandwiching my boat inbetween the two houseboats. My boat ends up with a huge hole (A good 12" triangle shape) in the hull, has damage around both sides, the whole rubrail is done, gelcoat is scratched everywhere, and there are stress cracks and spiders everywhere around the bow. The boat took on water fast and ended up upside down in the lake.

Here's my problem. The boat was pretty much brand new, its a 2005 Maxum 18'. Had it done out with a monster tower, huge stereo, ballast, everything. Now my insurance company is telling me they want to fix it instead of it being a total loss. The boat is insured for 25000 CDN with everything. I really don't want this thing back, I know it will never be the same. Especially because it sat in the water upside down for a good 48 hours until the boat salvage guy could pick it up. It was perfect before the accident.

To me, the boat would have to be completely redone to be back to normal - new interior, new carpet, new wiring, new gauges, new tower (it's bent and all roughed up from rubbing on the lake floor), new racks, new controls, new electrical/batteries/breakers/etc. Plus I'm not sure how this boat will stand up after being hit that hard - they are not that strong to begin with. Don't really feel like loading down a repaired boat with ballast and swinging 200+ lb guys off the tower.

The really crappy part is, I was going to put it up for sale next month so I could buy a new tournement boat this winter. Even if they do fix it, I'm sure it will take a good 2 months, so there goes the summer.

Any advise? What can I say to the insurance company to try and convince him that the boat will never be the same and I won't be satisfied with the repairs? He estimates the damage at $10k or so and a salvage value of about $10k as well - so its only a few thousand off the be written off anyways.

Thanks! Sorry for the long post!