Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-02-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
I finally got to board this weekend for the first time in about 3 weeks. I noticed that the boat had a vibration while pulling up riders and was a little slow out of the hole. We had a lot of weight in the boat so I didn't think to much about it. When we put the boat back on the lift I looked at the prop and sure enough it is shot. All three blades are bent and two of them have cuts. One blade has a gouge about the size of a quarter. I'm surprised that it drove as good as it did. The boat belongs to my wife's father. The only people who have been on the boat for the past three weeks are my wife's parents and her sister who likes to pull tubers with the boat. None of them can safely drive a boat. They all said they know nothing about it. You can't hit something that hard and not know it!!!!!!!! It's not my boat but I'm the only one that takes care of it. Now I have to buy a prop to replace the one that's ruined. While I was cleaning up the boat I also found a nice foot long scratch down the side. I'm sure the scratch got there because I wasn't there to catch the boat while docking, or tie up the boat, or drive the boat. I know accidents happen but I hate to see this boat ruined because of irresponsable actions. Anyone know where I can get a deal on a stock replacement prop for a 2002 X-Star?
Old    norcal_99            09-02-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
Matt check your email. I have a prop for you.

Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       09-02-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
Speaking of props, what is the best prop for the 02 X-Star. We run alot of wieght and would like a bit better of a whole shot.
Old    tattoobling            09-02-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
14 x 18 Stainless Cutter. You can get one at www.trinityboardshop.com for $359.95
Old    norcal_99            09-02-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
I have a 14 x 20 brass prop on my X-Star and it pulls out of the hole no problem fully weighted.

Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-03-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
Rene, Let me know about your prop.
Should I be upgrading while I have the opportunity?
So far the stock prop has worked great for our needs.
Old    norcal_99            09-03-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
Matt,

I noticed your email and I'll reply today.

As for upgrading to a Stainless prop, My opinion is, Personally I have never hit anything with my prop and it's still in perfect condition, but I have a lot of friends who have hit things with both stainless and brass props. The friends with the brass props have destroyed their props, but the friends with the stainless props have bent shafts, busted transmissions, etc. The reason is when you hit something with the brass prop it's more forgiving absorbing the damage while the stainless prop may not receive much damage it transfers the hit and damage to other areas in most cases causing more expensive damage.

A stainless prop does give a little more pop out of the hole. It's a definite needed boost on a boat having a hard time pulling up a rider, but I don't think it's needed on the X-Star. I've pulled up four wakeboarders and one tube at once fully weighted with mine.

Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-03-2003, 5:24 PM Reply   
Check this prop out!
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-03-2003, 5:27 PM Reply   
BTW, I agree with Rene, its cheaper to replace the brass prop than to rebuild the shaft and tranny.
Joe
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-03-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
Stick with the nibral, stainless is not a good idea on a direct or v drive.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-05-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
Be sure to take the old one and chuck it ninja star style at the people who messed it it.
Old    lakesideluver            09-05-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
i agree with this post but sometimes crap just happens, we sent our damaged prop in this year to get rebuilt and sure enough within a week of getting it back i huge pile of unmarked rocks and destroyed it again.....unmarked and over a thousand feet off of shore....argh
Old    mtb1981            09-05-2003, 11:30 AM Reply   
Why are they driving an X if they cannot drive a boat to begin with?
Old    norcal_99            09-05-2003, 8:39 PM Reply   
Hey Matt, What size engine do you have in your X-Star?

Old    wakelvr            09-05-2003, 9:47 PM Reply   
We have the standard prop (don't know which size that is) with the MCX 350 HP engine. And it works fine.... We have no problems getting out of the hole, even when fully weighted down...
Old    turtle            09-06-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
Take the prop to a repair shop. 100.00 max to repair it.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-14-2003, 7:36 PM Reply   
If you only run the standard ballast - never mind. If you run a lot of ballast... Try a 13.5 * 16 ACME or the 14 * 16 OJ. The new prop will reduce your top speed and you will run higher rpms, but you can add a lot more weight.