Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
picked up a few fly high sacs to get my surf wave right. but, they have the 2 quick disconnect fittings and a drain. Seems like someone glued the male QD nipple threads on the sac, so I can't take the QD fittings off.

searched a few other threads a couldn't find a source. fly high's site is pretty confusing.
I read they leak, does anyone use QD fittings? Where can I get them?

Thanks guys. Here's a pic of what i've got:
Upload
the nipples will take a 3/4" hose and i could just clamp them down. But i will be moving them around so the QD would be nice
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2007, 6:34 AM Reply   
Those fittings are glued in there with PVC cement. Take a hair dryer NOT a heat gun to where the fitting meets the valve. Hold the heat on there until the glue becomes pliable again. Call me and I can give you some quick tips. 414-964-3668
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Denver, http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/ballast_fittings

I had some of these, but as you know I hard plumbed my bags. The second half of the fitting you need is the red part. It looks like you need the 1". The fittings looked pretty cool and they do allow you to disconnect the hose and move the bag around.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Jeff, great link. thanks bud. I'll keep the QD if i can make them tie into my existing system. Is there a cap for the QD fittings? seems pointless to have a QD fitting and then unscrew the fitting...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Upload
looks like B is what i need.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
I don't know of a cap. How are you planning on using these bags. Are you using dedicated pumps or using one fill pump for different bags? The only advantage I see of the quick disconnect is that you can easily pull the bags out of the boat for cleaning/maintenance. If you are planning on moving them from place to place in the boat you might want something different for fittings. You could stick a small ball valve in line on a hose and then hook up the pump from there and you would be able to disconnect it without leaking water. Just more stuff sticking out of the bag.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
i got two fill and two drain pumps for my existing system. I'm just T'ing into the rear fill and putting a few valves to control the flow. When we get ready to surf, throw 2 350s on the floor, flip the valves and fill the surf side. I don't think i'll use them for wake ridin but, ya never know. (When was last time you turned down more weight...) I'll use another pump to drain the sacs. I'm trying to link them together, but have the QD for the 2 extra sacs to get the whole surf setup out of the way. unless we ride with them all the time, then i'll redo this all anyway!!

So the QD's do leak?
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
K,L and M go with G which is what you have. B is a plug and would replace G if you pulled it out. A, D and E all work together. That would be a good system for you. Place A in the bags and it has a built in removal plug. Then have a hose that has D on it from your pumps (fill or drain). Not sure about them leaking, it has an o-ring seal.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
jeff is correct all the way around.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
NACHO If you do the set-up that Jeff suggested it will work but there is a possibility for some leakage because the "A" and "D" fittings are designed to be used as a manual fill/drain. Where as if you are doing a permanent plumb,(ei:G->K or M) keep the fittings that are on the sac right now and purchase some red/black flow-rite fittings (straight or elbow)
This will give you a leak proof connection.
Again please call me and I can help you understand any of this stuff. (b/c it is my job:-)
414-964-3668-chris

I will try and find some pics to describe the two.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
hmmm. i knew it couldn't be that easy.... Thanks guys
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Chris, why would these fittings leak? Don't C,D and E fit inside A with an o-ring fitting? Also, if you need to disconnect a fill or drain line would these not be the right way to go? I went through alot of this plumbing my bags in and eventualy bought fittings from Lowes. I have mine hard plumbed into the boat along with the factory ballast thus I am not moving mine around ever. Sounds like Denver might move his around from time to time. Just curious.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
I have a custom integrated bow bag with the quick connects. The fill/drain hose connection is on the bottom and has not leaked. Have others have issues?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-28-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
i'll prob use a ball valve and a combo of K,L,M to fill and link. then E to drain. (I would have to start over with everything if I went with A,C,D,E) just seems to me like QD hasn't been thought out that well.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
I agree that the quick disconnect isn't right. I would have it when the female hooks up the the male part on the bag it would open a check valve in the bag or fitting so that you could disconnect the fitting and not loose water in the bag.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-28-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
here is something I am looking at. I'm installing a ballast system in a month or so. I don't need QD's on every bag, so here is an economical option.

This is from Home Depot; 3/4" MIP Adapter (the threaded end) to Nylon Barb. The MIP Adapter threads match perfectly. The fitting that says "Male Hose Adapter" will NOT fit -- different thread pattern. Cost about a buck.

The one in the pic is 3/4 to 3/4, but I would like to find one with a 1" barb and use 1" tube.
Upload
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-28-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
All thoughs fitting are the same as the moomba and supra stuff. I also agree that you can get them off wakeside.com I too saw them there.
Any SC dealer has that stuff.

Aquaholic OUT!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-01-2007, 5:48 AM Reply   
Jeff, thats all you would have to do to make this a great idea...

Rich, either I or H is 1" check this link:
http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/ballast_fittings/fly_high_pro_x_fitting_W733
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-01-2007, 5:49 AM Reply   
you can find an elbow too
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
**JEFF**
Our Female Quick Connect/ Sac Valve Treads with
Chain & Male Quick Connect Cap PART # W730 was designed to work with the 1 1/8” Barbed Tsunami Pump Hose End/Male Quick Connect PART # W738 (along with a few other irrelevant parts to this post) ONLY for filling/emptying your sacs by hand (manually) in our case by using the Tsunami Pump. However, by using this same connection in a plumbed (automatic) ballast systems these 2 fittings have more potential to become dislocated because there is not a "locking" mechanism like the red/black fittings. Whereas the red and black flow-rite fittings combined with the W736 or W743 (3/4"or 1") depending on id of hose is the BEST and RECOMENDED method for filling/emptying your sacs with an AUTOMATIC ballast system. It is the most leak proof and user friendly way to use our Fat Sacs in an automatic system.

I am not saying that other methods will-not or do-not work. I am stating what is recommended.
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
I understand what you are saying about that fitting. It does seem to me that a check valve built into the quick disconnect would make sense. Size might be a problem. It would be nice to use one fill/drain line and be able to hook up to different bags.
Old     (shelstad)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
Yes it is a bit cumbersome of a fitting but it does work for a clean manual fill.
It's kind of designed for the dad that gets home from work to have his kid begging for a pull. Then dad gets to the boat and starts filling the sacs (by hand) to the max and does not want to get splashed from the back pressure from maxing the sac.
Upload