Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (meltedbutter421)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-15-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Are you allowed to ride with a non-USCG approved life jacket (in New York)? Some of the Jet Pilots are really cool and I would like to get one, but not if its gonna get me stopped by the Harbor Master... I could either get that or a USCG approved Watson jacket. Either way, both really cool jackets.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-15-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
USCG approved vest is the safest way to go. In NC you can get a ticket for riding a non approved vest. Not sure about NY.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
I could be wrong, but I think you have to have USCG approved on all public water ways. Google "New York Boating Laws" something should come up but why would you risk your safety for something that is "really cool"?
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-16-2006, 4:45 AM Reply   
Listen bro it may be illegal to ride non-USCG approved vest but it's your right to wear what you want. It's not that they actually care about you they just want your money. I live in Florida and love jet pilot vests. I've never had them check my vest. If you choose to wear your non-USCG vest just make sure your driver pays extra close attention to you when your riding.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2006, 5:08 AM Reply   
Comments like Duffy's gives the sport a bad rap.
"it may be illegal....but its you right..." Thats immature! Safety should come before anything else.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-16-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
Yep, if we didnt have non-approved vests to buy, this would not even be an issue...
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-16-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
I never blamed retailers. I love that they sell comp vest.But they sell the vests so why are you not upset with them. Why dont you srart lobbying to give them fines for selling to riders who dont compete Mr. right and wrong. So basically your calling out everyone who wears comp vests that does not compete.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-16-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
JoJO, I dont think anyone is blaming anyone on this matter. You are choosing to take a risk on your health by smoking. Its a know fact smoking can kill you, but you choose to disregard that risk. The same can be said about Non-CGA vests, those that choose to use them are risking their lives. It just seems a little hypocritical for you to pass judgement. Please dont give us the "I fight to save rights" speech, because your idea of what rights you are entitled to might not be the same as mine or others...

BTW, I choose to wear a CGA vest, I just try not to be too critical for those that dont. I also believe that if you cant throw a trick without a CGA vest, you need more practice, not a Non-CGA vest.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-16-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
We all ride Non CGA vests on our boat - but we are very aware of where our riders are at all times. Its all in what you like and who you ride with.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
What this argument is all about is whether or not it is legal to wear a non USCG vest in New York and then the comment "it may be illegal but wear what you want". I think when someone is asking for advise (the original post) you dont steer them in the direction of doing things illegally.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
As far as me being a "tree hugger or something", I am far from that but when given the choice of doing something right(legal) or wrong(illegal), I choose what's right.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Yes. You have to use a USCG approved vest in NY state....at least this is now the law anyway. This was updated about 3 years ago I believe. I used to live there, so I am well aware of the rules of that state.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-16-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Me too JoJo, I won't eat a manatee unless it has been properly cooked. LOL
By the way I think its illegal in all states to ride without a USCGA vest.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
oh yea, I updated to a USCG approved vest when the law changed. I got the jet pilot cell block. very nice vest....I would highly recommend it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-16-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Here is some of what I posted on a similar thread at http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/show.cgi?1/379965

Believe it or not, the Coast Guard does know a thing or two about how to keep bodies afloat. Unless you go under water and take several deep breaths to fully remove all the air out of your lungs and fill them with water, you have not properly determined whether or not your non-CGA vest will float you. This is the biggest misconception in wakeboarding and it's perpetuated by threads like these. JUST BECAUSE A VEST FLOATS YOU WHEN YOU'RE SITTING IN THE WATER, DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF ASSUMING IT WILL ALSO FLOAT YOU WHEN YOU'RE UNCONSCIOUS AND YOUR LUNGS ARE NOT ONLY DEPLETED OF AIR, BUT ARE FILLED WITH WATER.

Having your driver "keep a close eye on you" will not always help either. I know of at least one case of a guy that was riding with a non-CGA vest and drowned in only eight feet of water. Both he and the boat crew were professional search and rescue guys, but they still were not able to find him until it was too late.

Obviously, there are people out there that know all the facts and choose to risk riding without a vest anyway. I say more power to them. As long as they are fully informed and know what they are getting into. My problem is when people spread misinformation about non-CGA vests (see above posts) and then others take that bad information and make bad decisions with it. They end up taking risks without being properly informed and that can sometimes end up with bad results.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-16-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thats all I was trying to get across!! We dont need people misinformed or in this case misguided.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-16-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
CGA vests are the best when your leg is broken and ripped open. I had recently switched from a "comp vest" to a CGA vest prior to my accident, and was so happy I did. I will always wear one and will always encourage my friends to wear them as well.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-16-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Dave that was very well put.