Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    coachsambo            01-18-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
i just got 4 tower speakers and want to know how to run 2 speakers together to one channel on my amp. The amp is a fosgate 4 channel 500 watt amp. I have already bridged two channels to run my sub. I think I am talking about daisy chaining but I dont know what that means. Help
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-18-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
hmm i'm no audiophile or whatever but i would think you just run the 2 speakers into 1 wire down to the amp, like put the 2 neg's on the neg side and the 2 pos's on the positive side. Don't take my word, this is just what i would do. I have no idea about ohm load and all that other fancy electrician talk.
Old    buttskimmer            01-18-2003, 7:39 PM Reply   
When you say you bridged the sub - which terminals did you use?
~S~

(Message edited by buttskimmer on January 18, 2003)
Old    coachsambo            01-18-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
in one channel I put only the positive wire and in another channel I put the negative wire. Both of these channels are rear.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-18-2003, 11:45 PM Reply   
Depends. What kind of amp are you running. You can configure the tower speakers in a couple of ways. Each speaker bears a 4 ohm load. By "daisy chaining - positive on speaker 1 to positive to speaker two to positive on amp, and hooking up the negative the same way you are going to create a 2 ohm load. Most quality amps can handle a 2 ohm load. But cheaper amps will get hot and burn out. By running a 2 ohm load you increase the wattage per channel. Just like bridging the amp
Old    coachsambo            01-19-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
I am running a 2002 rockford fosgate 500x, which is a 500 watt amp with 4 channels, built in crossover. can it handle a 2 ohm load?
Old    buttskimmer            01-19-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
Connect the positive to speaker #1. The neg on speaker #1 goes to the positve on #2 the neg on #2 goes to the amp = 8 ohms. The amp works much easier.
~S~
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-20-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
Fosgate makes good amps. And your amp is stable at 2 0hms. Just make sure you have thick gauge wires for the power and the ground.

The bridged channel running to your sub puts out 250 watts in a 4 ohm load - I assume you only have one sub.

By hooking up the amp in the way I suggested you will run 125 watts per channel and each speaker will be getting 62.5 watts.

If you hook it up the way Scott suggests then you will drop the wattage as the amp sees a higher resistance (8 ohm as opposed to 2 ohms).

The amp will put out less wattage. Only 31.25 watts per channel and each speaker will get 15 watts. Not very much.

RF amps are designed to be stable at 2 ohms so I wouldn't worry about wiring in the way I suggested. If you are ever concerned about the amp, just touch it and feel how hot it is getting. I run my PPI amp in a 2 ohm load and it doesn't even get warm.
Old    coachsambo            02-01-2003, 9:08 PM Reply   
here is what I did. Thanks for instructions
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
im pretty sure the rockford (non-sub)amps are only good for 4 ohms bridged and 2 ohms non bridged so you might want to check those specs again, im running two 8 ohm speakers bridged off a 600 watt RF 4-ch, getting hard to find 8" 8 ohm subs to put in that will handle more power and do everything i ask, ie: right freq range etc.
Old    coachsambo            02-03-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
It says its a 2 ohm stable amp. Right now the tower speakers are wired like this. Right front pos to pos on one speaker and then run to the other pos. Same for the negative. Same for the Left front channel. The two rear channels are bridged for the sub. I dont quit know if this is right but at least I tried
Old    coachsambo            02-03-2003, 6:59 PM Reply   
here is another pic

Old    coachsambo            02-03-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
one more
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-03-2003, 8:29 PM Reply   
Sam you should be good. If you wire the speakers in series (like Scott sugested) you'll mess with the sound of the second speaker.

What will happen is that the built in crossover on the first speaker will effect what's sent to the second speaker.

Your 2 ohms stereo load presented by the tower speakers is fine. You might want to run a larger set of power wires though. You'd be surprised what that can do.

Looks good, and looks loud!